Heritage Owners Club

Peavey Classic 30/50

mark555

I am looking round for a new amp, going to sideline the Hotrod as a back up amp. I don't have the budget for a new boutique amp, but I did hear a Peavey Classic 30 being played the other day and I must admit that it sounded pretty good.

Has anyone any experience of these, or knowledge of their reliability? let me know your thoughts please.

I've got one. The only issue I ever had was with a bit of tube rattle, and that was fixed by installing a Tom's Tube Tamer. I think the newer ones have included a similar device. The 50 is a bit of a beast, but you might also look at the Delta Blues. Similar circuit to the 30, but with reverb, a tremolo and a 15.

My Classic 30 was in the basement years ago when I got about a foot of water (~30cm). It covered the reverb tank, and half of the speaker. I dried out the case, and speaker, took the reverb tank out of the bottom to dry. When I put it together a week later, it fired right up.

I had a 30 and a friend has a 50. Great tone. Mine also had tube rattle but it didn't bug me. If I get another I'll put in a tamer. I had to sell it for financial reasons.

I had the Delta Blues with the 1x15. Sounded great although it was a deep cabinet that was hard to lug around. I chose the Delta over the Classic for the tremolo/vibrato circuit it had. The Classic doesn't have that feature.

I too really liked the DB 1x15 rig. Its tremolo and verb suited my style perfectly. And they are loud enough to gig with.

I have a Classic 30, which I bought as a back up when my Maverick was being repaired. It takes pedals well - Rob Rolph of Nearly Dan often uses one these days in preference to his Dumble clone - it's rather lighter and more portable! Mind you, he does use an Ethos overdrive to get those Dumble tones... Here he is with Nearly Dan performing "New Frontier" with his Fender Espirit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciypN6IwRsY&nohtml5=False

As it happens, my 633 Engineering Drive King is almost finished, so my Classic 30 is surplus to requirements - get in touch if you're interested.

I have a Classic 30, which I bought as a back up when my Maverick was being repaired. It takes pedals well - Rob Rolph of Nearly Dan often uses one these days in preference to his Dumble clone - it's rather lighter and more portable! Mind you, he does use an Ethos overdrive to get those Dumble tones... Here he is with Nearly Dan performing "New Frontier" with his Fender Espirit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciypN6IwRsY&nohtml5=False

As it happens, my 633 Engineering Drive King is almost finished, so my Classic 30 is surplus to requirements - get in touch if you're interested.

Wow! What an AWESOME cover band!!! (I've always wanted an Espirit. By gum, I have to get one sometime.) Great post!

I have a Delta Blues 1X15 and a Classic 50 4X10. The Delta would get so hot that I was afraid it would burn. The 50 has the same tube configuration but has an internal fan.It's a bit heavy to lug to gigs but a great amp, plus I get some exercise.

I had two 30's which are gone now, but I still have a 50 2x12 and the Delta Blues 2x10. The 50 is fan cooled and has lots of power and low end.

I did the deal with Bob tonight and will meet him tomorrow to collect. I have a small fan I can run into the back of the amp to keep it cool enough. thanks for all the replies everyone.

I did the deal with Bob tonight and will meet him tomorrow to collect. I have a small fan I can run into the back of the amp to keep it cool enough. thanks for all the replies everyone.

Congrats! I ran a small fan in the back as well. Works great.

Good to see you today Mark. Have fun with the Peavey! I used a small 5V desk fan to keep the amp cool, as in Joe's picture, though running hot didn't seem to have any adverse effects on the amp.

Good to see you today Mark. Have fun with the Peavey! I used a small 5V desk fan to keep the amp cool, as in Joe's picture, though running hot didn't seem to have any adverse effects on the amp.

The hotter it got, the better it sounded. It would get to the point where you could smell it. I never got around to rigging a smaller fan when I got a good deal on the 50.

• 3 weeks later...

Late to this party, glad Mark and Bob got together for a deal. I have had many great deals with folks here, including an amp or two. I have heard the 30's are very nice and dependable. It would be pretty easy to hard wire a small fan into the amp. Many are available. I'd google first to see if it is even an issue, may be a non-problem.

Archived