Heritage Owners Club

Show us your Millie

koula901

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what I always thought the correct terminology to be:

If there is a block of wood down the center, it is called a center block. But center blocks come in two variations: solid and floating.

Solid center blocks are attached to the top and back. Floating are only attached to the top. Solid center blocks will sound significantly less hollow than floating, but will also be less prone to feed back. 99% of 335/339 type guitars have a center block, and as far as I know, the Prospect is the only one that offers a floating center block. You can tell which is which by looking inside the f-holes. With a floating center block, you can see that the center block does not touch the back (although it gets very close).

A Prospect "Standard" has a floating center block, but you can order one with a solid center block, or no center block at all (full hollow). Some years ago, there was a dealer that sold solid center block Prospects with a certain set of features, one of them being a solid center block. Those were called the "Blues Deluxe". You see them for sale used from time to time.

To me, floating center blocks have significantly more "hollow resonance" than solid center blocks. I am currently considering a full hollow Prospect, hoping that it have even more "hollow resonance", but I've never heard one side by side with a floating or solid, so I can't say for sure.

The Millie is entirely different. The is wood protruding into the center from the bottom, but it is the same piece of wood that makes up the sides. As you have read here, the construction is very different than that of a 335/339 type guitar. The sound is different too -- some "hollow resonance", but not nearly as much as a 335/339 type guitar.

To me it's tone vs comfort. The more hollow it is, the more I like the tone, but the bigger it is, the less comfortable it is to me (not everyone would feel the same way of course -- I'm 5' 9"). The Prospect feels significantly more comfortable than a 535 to me, but still somewhat uncomfortable. The Millie is the most comfortable -- like a H150 -- but has significantly less "hollow resonance".

Gibson's 336 may be the closest. The back and sides and center block are routed from a single piece of Mahogany, then capped with a Maple top.

356cutaway_11.gif

cutaway_13.gif

Well then, hold the presses!! I could be completely wrong! (which makes this like pretty much any other day)

My understanding is that the 339 is to the 336 what the Les Paul Std is to the LP Custom. If that's true, then, based on this ^ post, the Millie MAY be a closer approximation than a Prospect.

In my defense (go ahead, insert eyeroll) I was told that the 336/9 was a "small semi - 335". Certainly cosmetically this makes sense but Physically it's a load of hooey.

See? this is why we do this!! edumacation.

Incidentally I played a Memphis built 339 through a Blues Junior Sunday night. What a great guitar.

I have a 336 and a Millie DC. Completely different beasts. The millie has a brighter sound as where the 336 is a little more warm sounding. believe it's because the 336 is routed out of mahogany with a maple cap..

As I believe my Gibby 335 is sold I will be having a Heritage built. I was going to go with a Solid block Prospect (blues deluxe) but after playing the 336 I'm going to see if they can make a Millie DC routed out of Mahogany. ( or have a prospect with a mahogany center block.)

Here's a relatively rare Millie from 2001. According to Marv they only made a few of these. Arch Top/Back, laminate. No access from the back. Semi-hollow, not semi-solid. This one was set up SAE. Of all the guitars I've owned this is #1 of 2 that I'd like to have back. If you have the inaugural PSP video you can hear it in the background during the interviews.

mil-sae-incase2.jpg

This is what I always thought the correct terminology to be:

If there is a block of wood down the center, it is called a center block. But center blocks come in two variations: solid and floating.

Solid center blocks are attached to the top and back. Floating are only attached to the top. Solid center blocks will sound significantly less hollow than floating, but will also be less prone to feed back. 99% of 335/339 type guitars have a center block, and as far as I know, the Prospect is the only one that offers a floating center block. You can tell which is which by looking inside the f-holes. With a floating center block, you can see that the center block does not touch the back (although it gets very close).

A Prospect "Standard" has a floating center block, but you can order one with a solid center block, or no center block at all (full hollow). Some years ago, there was a dealer that sold solid center block Prospects with a certain set of features, one of them being a solid center block. Those were called the "Blues Deluxe". You see them for sale used from time to time.

To me, floating center blocks have significantly more "hollow resonance" than solid center blocks. I am currently considering a full hollow Prospect, hoping that it have even more "hollow resonance", but I've never heard one side by side with a floating or solid, so I can't say for sure.

The Millie is entirely different. The is wood protruding into the center from the bottom, but it is the same piece of wood that makes up the sides. As you have read here, the construction is very different than that of a 335/339 type guitar. The sound is different too -- some "hollow resonance", but not nearly as much as a 335/339 type guitar.

To me it's tone vs comfort. The more hollow it is, the more I like the tone, but the bigger it is, the less comfortable it is to me (not everyone would feel the same way of course -- I'm 5' 9"). The Prospect feels significantly more comfortable than a 535 to me, but still somewhat uncomfortable. The Millie is the most comfortable -- like a H150 -- but has significantly less "hollow resonance".

Thank you for your thoughtful and comprehensive response, this clears everything up. Since I already have an H 150 light (chambered) it likely comes close to a Millie, and therefore, I think I'd be shooting for the Prospect.

Thank you for your thoughtful and comprehensive response, this clears everything up. Since I already have an H 150 light (chambered) it likely comes close to a Millie, and therefore, I think I'd be shooting for the Prospect.

My Millie NFH (No F Holes) IS much closer to an H150LW than any other Millie I've played.

And, you just can't go wrong with a good Prospect. It's my favorite of all the H's. Just the perfect size, shape and tonal palette on tap.

gallery_220_138_67256.jpg

Looks like a 1 piece top. Classy!

If it's like mine, it's arched laminate top and back. The inside has a partial center block, though the top and back kerfing down the middle is there top and bottom. Mine is called "H158 Classic" on the label, and like that one, has no access in the back for electronics:

h158b.jpg

If it's like mine, it's arched laminate top and back. The inside has a partial center block, though the top and back kerfing down the middle is there top and bottom. Mine is called "H158 Classic" on the label, and like that one, has no access in the back for electronics:

h158b.jpg

TBone, lets see the front!

When JimW was looking at mine waaaaaaaaay back in 2007 he mentioned it should be labeled H158 :icon_scratch: Near as I can recall the only marking on the label was Millennium SAE and the 2001 date. Def laminate. And def wish I had it back.

mil-sae-fhole-close.jpg

And the arched back.

mil-sae-back1.jpg

Front looks like this:

h158a.jpg

What makes your guitar an SAE? electronics? For this one the center block stops at the bridge.

Neat with the Bigsby.

SAE = Stereo Acoustic Electric. Hey, I didn't name it, that's just what it meant. It had a Baggs piezo bridge. One Vol control was for the AE - Guess that's sort of a standard wiring with that rig. It was okay sounding for that type of bridge. It's more the uniqueness of the guitar, and how well it played, that I miss.

Well, the H158 definitely does play well. The Seth Lovers are perfect for it. I just need to fix a few lacquer chips on the headstock, and then I'll be "happy" with it. Yeah my OCD gets annoying sometimes. It's just that it's pretty much in great shape, except for those few chips.

This will be a multi-post. Here are images of my Custom Millie DC.

Spruce top, no f-holes

Flame Maple back,

5-piece neck,

Ebony board with 555 inlays but full to the bottom,

555 headstock with a stinger on the back,

Sperzel tuners,

Stephens Design pickups and...

Finger tailpiece.

DSCN0302_zpsnumntlvc.jpg

The build.

I had given a detailed list to Heritage for this guitar and when it was almost finished I got a call from Marv asking if I wanted to come over and feel the neck to make sure it was what I wanted. It was 8:00 am on a Monday and I live 200 miles from Heritage. I don't know if Marv knew how far away I lived but what an opportunity. I wasn't doing any thing more important than this so my instant answer was... sure I'll see you in 4 hours. As always Marvs' neck carve was perfect, just what I wanted, and it was a great day. And because we are so concerned whose hands are in photos the closeup of the hands holding the unfinished back are Mr. Marv Lambs. Good times.

DSCN0294_zpsrsm2a5kt.jpg

DSCN0293_zps8ejblly5.jpg

DSCN0292_zpsmtd4ht18.jpg

DSCN0300_zpscreakaut.jpg

Archived