Heritage Owners Club

I Am NOT A Fan of Strings Strung Over the Top!

schundog

I don't like the look, I don't like the feel, I don't like the scratching it will do, and I simply don't feel the need to run the strings backwards through the tailpiece and wrapped over the top! There, I got that off my chest; I feel much better. Now get off my lawn!!! Haha

Finally someone with the courage to speak out on this sensitive subject!

The makers of Heritage and Gibson agree. It's not necessary with a separate tailpiece and bridge.

But since Duane did it....well, we all want to be cool. :dirol_mini:

I don't like the look, I don't like the feel, I don't like the scratching it will do, and I simply don't feel the need to run the strings backwards through the tailpiece and wrapped over the top! There, I got that off my chest; I feel much better. Now get off my lawn!!! Haha

Amen Brother, preach on!!!!

I am DEFINITELY with you on this one. And I will also add, it leads to poor luthier skills. A guitar with a proper neck angle doesn't need a top wrap for it to intonate without hitting the back of the TOM bridge or having the stoptail jacked up off the body. If you buy a top wrapped guitar, you are not going to know if the guitar will intonate without the strings hitting the back of the bridge or without having to jacked up the stoptail off the body.

Brian, I am all in with you on this one, but I feel we are going to be in the minority.

Ever the iconoclast, and short cut across lawns taker, I have clearly duped myself into thinking top-wrapping makes for a better feel. I have no science to back this up, none, only the subjective assurance of confident self-delusion...and the pleasure of interrupting the unanimity. Thanks for the setup, Brian!

Rob, I know you are a top-wrap guy, and I thought of you while typing my initial reply.

This doesn't make you a bad individual, and certainly not a bad player. Quite the contrary, you are one of the best players on this or any site.

BUT......

I still think you can be saved from your top-wrapping psychosis!!! (LOL, j/k, ha-ha, :icon_tongue: )!!!!

I've never top wrapped a guitar that came with a t.o.m. bridge. I tend to leave a guitar's hardware alone unless there is a playability or setup issue. If the builder wanted it to be top wrapped they could have used that type of bridge (i.e. my personal favorite, Tone Pro AVT2).

Ever the iconoclast, and short cut across lawns taker, I have clearly duped myself into thinking top-wrapping makes for a better feel. I have no science to back this up, none, only the subjective assurance of confident self-delusion...and the pleasure of interrupting the unanimity. Thanks for the setup, Brian!

Well, Rob, I don't have any science to back up my opinion, either, but I'm willing to sell my soul and change my mind on the subject if I can be guaranteed 1/10 your talent and level of cool/hipness. You Sir, are slightly cooler than ice.....

You Sir, are slightly cooler than ice.....

Comes with the age. Blood thins, metabolism slows, lots of inactivity. I wear a cardigan most of the time now. Run the heat up in winter. Wear a union suit...and a hat.

Stay off the grass, son!!

Personally, I don't care one whit which way the strings be strung. If they sound good, intonate properly and don't break ... I'm good with it.

I don't top wrap, but there is an argument that break angle has an influence on feel (although perhaps not a lot--see below.) If there was a simple way to make my strings feel like they had more tension but without the added pressure on the neck of super heavy strings, that would be a good thing --that would mean increasing break angle by lowering the point where the strings leave the tailpiece. Top wrapping would make no sense for me --why scar up my tailpiece, reduce tuning stability by adding string length, all for less perceived tension?

I work with 18-22 year olds: I gave up on any hint of cool long ago.

Other adjustable tailpieces are engineered to allow adjustment of break angle: that's the purpose of the finger tailpiece adjustments, and the Gibson top-of-the-line archtop tailpieces --L-5 and Super 400-- were adjustable up and down for break angle. I think the Frequensator may have been an effort to balance the tension of the strings across the neck, as well.

Here's a explanation, which includes an account of some experiments done by Bob Benedetto to actually test whether or not changes in break angle had a real-world effect on the perception of tension. His conclusion: nah.

http://www.liutaiomottola.com/myth/perception.htm

Archived