Heritage Owners Club

I Am NOT A Fan of Strings Strung Over the Top!

schundog

I don't top wrap, but there is an argument that break angle has an influence on feel (although perhaps not a lot--see below.) If there was a simple way to make my strings feel like they had more tension but without the added pressure on the neck of super heavy strings, that would be a good thing --that would mean increasing break angle by lowering the point where the strings leave the tailpiece. Top wrapping would make no sense for me --why scar up my tailpiece, reduce tuning stability by adding string length, all for less perceived tension?

I work with 18-22 year olds: I gave up on any hint of cool long ago.

Other adjustable tailpieces are engineered to allow adjustment of break angle: that's the purpose of the finger tailpiece adjustments, and the Gibson top-of-the-line archtop tailpieces --L-5 and Super 400-- were adjustable up and down for break angle. I think the Frequensator may have been an effort to balance the tension of the strings across the neck, as well.

Here's a explanation, which includes an account of some experiments done by Bob Benedetto to actually test whether or not changes in break angle had a real-world effect on the perception of tension. His conclusion: nah.

http://www.liutaiomottola.com/myth/perception.htm

That is an interesting article. And it suggests to me that my recent problems with longer scale guitars comes not from string tension, but maybe just from the distance between frets. Geeze I've gotten so sensitive, even dainty in my old age!

I don't think there is any real benefit to top wrapping a guitar with a Nashville bridge. With an ABR-1 style bridge made of Zinc/Zamak/Etc, it can prevent the eventual and inevitable collapse of the bridge.

Some have surmised that people used to the lightning bar or other single piece bridges may have inadvertently started the trend, as they simply kept using the same method of stringing the tailpiece.

that said, ever seen a violin? Notice that they have a pretty damn small break angle over the bridge? Or that archtop guitars do as well? More pressure on the bridge = better sound conduction to the body. the bridge is and remains one of the two primary interfaces between the guitar body and the string vibration, the other being the fret or fingerboard. If you want good sound, you want good sound transmission, and you get that with a better break angle.

95% of the time I have not top wrapped. I tried it for a few gigs some months ago then changed the strings and forgot to top wrap. Months went by an no top wrapping. Then Saturday morning I watched a Bonamassa video and he said he top wraps to get a lighter feel from heavier string. So I changed the strings for a gig that night and top wrapped. It was a very good night, I played like a star. It must have been the secret magic in the top wrap. It is secret because I couldn't hear or feel a difference. Next gig this Friday I will go back the the old 95% way, if I play like shit then there is the proof, top wrap has magic player powers, just no difference in feel or tone.

95% of the time I have not top wrapped. I tried it for a few gigs some months ago then changed the strings and forgot to top wrap. Months went by an no top wrapping. Then Saturday morning I watched a Bonamassa video and he said he top wraps to get a lighter feel from heavier string. So I changed the strings for a gig that night and top wrapped. It was a very good night, I played like a star. It must have been the secret magic in the top wrap. It is secret because I couldn't hear or feel a difference. Next gig this Friday I will go back the the old 95% way, if I play like shit then there is the proof, top wrap has magic player powers, just no difference in feel or tone.

Sounds good to me.

Here's a explanation, which includes an account of some experiments done by Bob Benedetto...

Let's not muddy this with science.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like the look, I don't like the feel, I don't like the scratching it will do, and I simply don't feel the need to run the strings backwards through the tailpiece and wrapped over the top! There, I got that off my chest; I feel much better. Now get off my lawn!!! Haha

I don't think it's been known to do any scratching. My 147 is top wrapped but it has a special bridge for that.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently bought a used h555 from a fellow member. I wa used to the feel of my trapeze archtops (h525, h575, golden eagle)

And found the stoptail too stiff feeling. Called heritage and talked with tech who does setups. Recommended either raising tailpiece or top wrapping.

Tried raising for now. Quite high to simulate angle of trapeze.

Pretty good, but I think I'll try the top wrap to see if I can get looser feel. Play 11-49

Don't want to go to 10's unless results aren't what I hoped for...

There's practical reasons for it, lads.

here you have a 535 with Gotoh nashville bridge and traditional stop tail. Due to the neck angle the the bridge height is required. In an effort to minimize the contact of the strings to the bridge behind the saddles, the stoptail is skyhigh. The posts flex due to the height and the fact that at this point on this guitar, the bushings have been recessed too deeply into the holes in the top. So, between the string contact at the break angle and all that metal, squandering resonance rather than transmitting it to the top...this is a sh*tty setup. Changes have to be made if music is the intent.

IMG_3140.jpg

Step one: Topwrap

Break angle issue addressed. All that metal of the stop tail apparatus is to the top where it outta be. This is a night and day/ right vs wrong situation.

IMG_3145.jpg

Now, on this guitar, the issues were further addressed by fully faber-ising the guitar. ABR bridge and aluminum stoptail with the tonelock bushings. Top wrap still employed because, again, the physical build of the guitar. The neck angle demands the bridge height.

unfortunately I don't have a comparable shot of the guitar post faber install, but you can see from this angle, the metal touches the top. As to scratching, who cares? the bridge will only serve its intended purpose as a bridge with top wrapped strings. Only ever see the scratches during a string change, and it's an instrument, wear and tear is reward for servitude.

937AF054-35BB-4D19-9CFF-3BF6B059C90B_zps

So, this is not a case of "i read once that Skydog top wrapped..." This is a case of I want my guitar in peak performance condition, and to do that, I have to top wrap.

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:52 AM

schundog, on 04 Sept 2016 - 1:10 PM, said:snapback.png

I don't like the look, I don't like the feel, I don't like the scratching it will do, and I simply don't feel the need to run the strings backwards through the tailpiece and wrapped over the top! There, I got that off my chest; I feel much better. Now get off my lawn!!! Haha

I don't think it's been known to do any scratching. My 147 is top wrapped but it has a special bridge for that.

- top wrapping scratched the crap out of my tailpiece. Probably varies with brand of strings.

Archived