Heritage Owners Club

Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Billy Gibbons Tele Bridge Pickup

Well as many of you guys know, I work on guitars quite a bit, and in the last year, have built and rebuilt 5 different Tele style partscasters.

In all of the different building I got try quite a few Tele pickups, and  recently I stumbled on the Duncan BG1400. The reason I did was that I was trying to find a bridge pickup that would be strong enough to get a good middle position tone with a Tyson Precious And Grace neck humbucker. I also wanted a lead sound that would be less ice picky than standard Tele, something with more mids and a rounded top. I also loved the idea that it would be hum cancelling as some of the stages I play on are less than stellar noise wise, and when recording I love quiet pickups!

Well I really like this pickup as it gives up what I wanted hear. It barely fit through my bridge plate, but other than that, there was no craziness installing it. And I've got a DPDT switch on the CTS volume pot to split it, which just makes it sound a bit louder and brighter. Stacked humbuckers don't generally split well but this one does. And this one really does make for a good middle position with the neck humbucker.

Here's the guitar that I put the pickup in...

ThePurpleRocket.jpg.ef666e8b6890b15f15ac4601f943a4ae.jpg

This is what it sounds like....

This 

Edited by rockabilly69
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 12/7/2023 at 2:16 AM, fxdx99 said:

Nice sounding pickup, yeh.  That's a pretty guitar aesthetically, too - great finish and the black knobs and pickguard design really sets it off.

I replied to you on this but it was dropped on the reboot:) Thanks for the kind words, but I did add a sticker you might not like...

IMG_4319.jpg.8d7f2117528675be60917e9b00efef79.jpg

I also got a new Space Oddity pickguard for my green Esquire :)

On 12/15/2023 at 2:27 AM, rockabilly69 said:

I replied to you on this but it was dropped on the reboot:) Thanks for the kind words, but I did add a sticker you might not like...

IMG_4319.jpg.8d7f2117528675be60917e9b00efef79.jpg

Oh, that sticker looks good.  Compliments color and theme.  Very cool looking guitar!

45 minutes ago, fxdx99 said:

Oh, that sticker looks good.  Compliments color and theme.  Very cool looking guitar!

Thanks, sometimes all this guitar business gets a little stuffy with the vintage correctness and all, I wanted this to be a fun guitar :) And it is killing at the band practices!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rockabilly69 said:

Thanks, sometimes all this guitar business gets a little stuffy with the vintage correctness and all, I wanted this to be a fun guitar :) And it is killing at the band practices!!!

Spoken like a man who truly understands the purpose of an electric guitar.  :icon_thumleft:

• Like 2

I think I already replied here, but it musta got nuked by the server outage?

Is that Barbarella?

Bah Bah Bah, Ba Barbarella....I heard they are reissuing that movie in bluray. Duran Duran inspired by Jane & her galactic adventures

Edited by bolero
Steely Dan = Naked Lunch, not Barbarella

4 hours ago, bolero said:

I think I already replied here, but it musta got nuked by the server outage?

Is that Barbarella?

Bah Bah Bah, Ba Barbarella....I heard they are reissuing that movie in bluray. Duran Duran inspired by Jane & her galactic adventures

I don't know if that sticker is based on Barbarella, or not I just liked the design :)

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 12:50 PM, rockabilly69 said:

On 12/16/2023 at 12:55 PM, Gitfiddler said:

Spoken like a man who truly understands the purpose of an electric guitar.  :icon_thumleft:

Bingo!  Figures that these comments would come from two of my favorite HOC sages!

Great playing Daniel.  I, too, like a hotter Tele bridge pup.  All 3 of my Teles have Klein Nocaster pickups.  The neck pickup is clear and kind of Strat-ish, and the bridge is full out Rock & Roll.  I love Klein's Epic Nocaster pickups.  I also love the Klein Epic 1959 Strat or Klein Epic 1962 Strat pickups. 

Again, great pickin'!  

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 2:00 PM, Kuz said:

Great playing Daniel.  I, too, like a hotter Tele bridge pup.  All 3 of my Teles have Klein Nocaster pickups.  The neck pickup is clear and kind of Strat-ish, and the bridge is full out Rock & Roll.  I love Klein's Epic Nocaster pickups.  I also love the Klein Epic 1959 Strat or Klein Epic 1962 Strat pickups. 

Again, great pickin'!  

Hey John, glad to see you back posting!!! I tried to call you a few times this week just to wish you happy holidays so let me do it here, HAPPY HOILDAYS to you and yours!!!

I still have the Kleins in my Firebird, and they ain't going nowhere! And you know, the Firebird is Gibson's answer to the Tele :)

I'm glad you like the pickin' because that song is now one of the live songs in my new bands set-list :)  It's the first one I wrote for the band. Our drummer was telling me how much he loved bacon, that's where the name came from. It was fun to work up a full on Tele instrumental!

Edited by rockabilly69
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 11:03 PM, rockabilly69 said:

Hey John, glad to see you back posting!!! I tried to call you a few times this week just to wish you happy holidays so let me do it here, HAPPY HOILDAYS to you and yours!!!

I still have the Kleins in my Firebird, and they ain't going nowhere! And you know, the Firebird is Gibson's answer to the Tele :)

I'm glad you like the pickin' because that song is now one of the live songs in my new bands set-list :)  It's the first one I wrote for the band. Our drummer was telling me how much he loved bacon, that's where the name came from. It was fun to work up a full on Tele instrumental!

His official hiatus sure didn’t last long! 😊

3 hours ago, ElNumero said:

His official hiatus sure didn’t last long! 😊

3 months, I felt more comfortable coming back.  I hope that's OK.

• Like 2

On 12/29/2023 at 1:15 PM, Kuz said:

3 months, I felt more comfortable coming back.  I hope that's OK.

Always!

• 1 month later...

I built this one a few weeks ago with an Allen Eden alder body and a MIJ 87 Squier neck. After reading this, I upgraded the bridge pickup to a BG1400 with a Duncan P90 that I had in the parts drawer. Holy cow! This combination screams! At some point, I may decide to rebuild this with a swamp ash body (it would have to be slightly worn shell pink) to make it lighter. But this guitar is amazing!

WYy1Tms.jpeg

UixTnGC.jpeg

KSyWzL7.jpeg

Edited by PunkKitty
  • Like 2