Heritage Owners Club

My Grail...

yoslate

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bump again! I had my dates wrong! According to FedEx, New Guitar Day for me tomorrow! I'll be taking delivery on a Stunning Vintage Sunburst 20th Anniversary 150. Lots of new guitars on the HOC this week, and in the coming days. This is a Grail guitar for me. I came sort of close to getting a 1959 Sunburst Standard once, in 1980. And this isn't the next best thing. As far as I'm concerned, it's the real thing, made in the same place, by the same guys. Very exciting for me! And I have Chris (pro-fusion) to thank! Thank you, Chris! A pleasure to do this transaction with you! Details forthcoming!

Awesome !! I agree, I love the vintage vibe in these 150's (and of course other Heritage beauties)

I had a great experience after a string change on my VSB 150, I just kept thinking .. it doesn't get better than this...

Yours , of course , will be extra special .... as a 20th anniversary should be... can't wait for the pics.

I'll be taking delivery on a Stunning Vintage Sunburst 20th Anniversary 150.

Nice! I wonder if your buddy will let you borrow his camera to get some pics. ;)

8:15: "On FedEx vehicle for delivery." It's going to my friend Alex's house; there'll be someone there to sign. I can't get away from work until 4:00. Argh! If I'm lucky, I'll be able to talk him into taking some quick pics, for posting. May pull the trigger on p'ups today, as well. Right now I'm tossing around Throbaks, Tombuckers, and Pearly Gates.... What a wonderful dilemma! Four magnificent Heritages in the pile, any one of which would be a bonus! I cannot believe my good fortune!

Look! Young tarts, squatting in puddles, distributing swords is no basis for an autocratic system! True power is derived from the masses! King; indeed. I didn't vote for him!

Your Highness! The peasants are revolting!

Well, you're not too good looking yourself...

Me Lord. Hath thy Grail been delivered?

Did you "have at thee?"

Thanks for all the interest, gents! Had a beer and talked with Alex and Matilda for an hour, when I picked it up. There it was...really well packed, no damage...in an appropriately defaced GIBSON box! Chris told me the box would be special. Hilarious! Didn't open it. Got it home, and my son was here for dinner. To be polite, and defer to my wife...who didn't say "No!" a week ago...didn't open it. The wait was exquisite. After dinner and conversation...opened it. About a trillion styrofoam peanuts! Pulled the case out...couldn't bring myself to open it. Same thing happened with the Super. I'd mythologized it, and didn't want to be disappointed. It was like realizing you will be spending the night in Castle Anthrax. Finally, after getting the light in the room just right, threw the latches and opened the case. Better than the pics! A very complex top, sometimes with the best curl ever; twist the body a little to change the light, and the curl disappears. Color runs from light iced tea along the rim, to a bit of lemon at the belly, just a touch of mineral stain here and there. Amazing! Aesthetically, it really is perfect to me! Just a stunner, and I'll try to get pics tomorrow. Prodigal son has the camera...yes, there is one...camera, that is!

Playability...? This is why they make chocolate and vanilla: I cannot manage anything less than .10's, preferring .011's. Anything less feels like .003's. The guitar was strung really light, and I couldn't tell a thing. So I decided to re-string it, just so I could tell what I had. That's where I've been all evening, down in the shop, basically tearing the thing apart and reassembling it just so that it felt comfortable to me. So as I did that, I made some notes, so as to be able to file a comprehensive report on how I found the guitar. That report will be used as the basis for a libel suit, brought against Kuz, when he flames me for saying anything less than rhapsodic about nuts, binding, finish, frets, Marv, Ren, Vince, J.P. Bill, Jay, Brent, The Admin, or John's mom! So tomorrow, when my morning class is taking their exams, I'll give some details and observations from the partial tear-down.

Playability...? This is why they make chocolate and vanilla: I cannot manage anything less than .10's, preferring .011's. Anything less feels like .003's.

It had .008s on it. I should have warned you. :D I can't play anything heavier than that in standard tuning anymore.

I usually don't even bother playing a new axe until I've restrung and set it up to my preference. I'll be curious to see what you think. It has a very warm and friendly sound compared to the Norlin boat anchors I grew up with. That's probably why my crazy heavy 157 is so near and dear to me--more of a scream.

That report will be used as the basis for a libel suit, brought against Kuz, when he flames me for saying anything less than rhapsodic about nuts, binding, finish, frets, Marv, Ren, Vince, J.P. Bill, Jay, Brent, The Admin, or John's mom!

Why does it always come back to me? :D;)

I am sitting here expecting a tone report and your stirring the pot..... :huh:

Nice. I tracked down Pics on one of Pro-fusions threads when he got the guitar. It's a looker. I love that finish.

Peanuts - hate the mess, but it also means you just received a shipment. I guess it's worth it.

Congrats on the NGD. I bet you are gonna make that axe sing!

Congratulations on a great acquisition Rob. There is almost nothing beter than opening the case and bonding almost instantly with the contents, and then enjoying the warmth that follows, of course, I'm talking about a case of Scotch. But what the heck, the same feeling happens with a great guitar doesn't it. I hope you enjoy "drinking deeply" with that new gitfiddle.

Archived