Heritage Owners Club

What amps are heritage owners playing

Depends on what I'm playing. I don't use pedals with the exception of a Roland digital reverb. That being said, I like a good guitar and a good amp and usually base my buying decisions on the sound they make. I use a Radial Switch Bone for amp switching. My clean amp is currently a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, dirty blues is a '55 5D3, Fender Deluxe Tweed (all 12 watts), dirty rock is a Marshall 1974x (18 watts) or Classic 5 (5 watts), both Marshall's are Bluesbreaker style 112 combo amps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Compared to some of you,I feel like a total loser with my amp. I have an early blackface Princeton that didn't work when I got it. I took it to Providence Music Company,here in Rhode Island,and asked what could be done with it,as I had a Super Reverb and a bad back from moving it.It came back with larger transformers,6L6's,12AX7's,and a solid state rectifier built on the back side of the tube socket where the rectifier tube used to be.There is a passive effects loop,a master volume control,a balanced line out,and it came back making 65 watts with a JBL K110 in it. The K110 was a little too bright by itself in the open cab,so,full length spacers under the faceplate and a 12" JBL M75 up grade made it much better. I play my H170 through it in medium size clubs with no probs,and plug it in the pa in larger rooms.I use an early Memory Man and an MXR Dyna Comp in the effects loop,and a volume pedal between the guitar and the amp.I've had people ask me what it was,and it's fun to tell them I found it in a dumpster,and point to the empty socket ,tell them it even has a tube missing,and ask them what they think it is.

i play through whatever I can borrow :drunken_smilie: Seriously lately since i got the P-90 equipped guitar, I've been going with a "stripped down" setup.. Just an old Ibanez TS-9 into my old 59 Gibsonette..But I have the Classic 30 as a back up..(See previous thread..) It's a classic chimey 50's rock-n-roll tone..Not too bad for blues either..

I love these threads.

I think Amp lust is worse than guitar lust.

I am currently trying to lower my amp count but not having much success.

I have in order of preference

Orange Rocker 30 head with a Yamaha 4x12 from the 80s.

Hughes and Kettner Puretone 1x12 combo. Both this and the orange are just ballsy as hell. This one needs OD pedals though. You can play a strat through them and still get that heft.

Hughes and Kettner 20th anniversary Tube Edition great two channel amp. Great clean, Great OD, Good reverb. This amp is loud enough as a practice and quiet jam amp. If it gets too noisy it won't cut through. Still, its one of those amps that sounds good no matter what you do to it or what you play through it. If it was a little louder, it would have been the end of my tone search.

Rivera Chubster 40 - This amp is just too tweaky for my tastes. You can dial all sorts of things in but it's controls are super sensitive. MY daughters sure love going up to my amps and twisting the knobs. As soon as I find a sound I love they go up and change it. Arggh.

Fender Super Reverb 1978. I just don't dig this amp. Its brittle and doesn't break up. I am starting to realize I am NOT a fender amp guy.

I have the advantage of playing in a band that understands the stage volume concept and what's "room appropriate." What a treat! It all starts with a drummer who has a nice, deft touch. Latest gigging rig that works for me is bi-amping my 25W 1x12 EL-34 Bitar, with my Princeton Reverb. A little EL-34 hair with Fender 6V6 clean. Two smaller boxes, and a small footprint (I stack 'em). Big Tone at reasonable volume.

Guest HRB853370

Peavey Classic 50 2x12

Peavey Classic 30

Fender Deluxe Reverb blackface

Fender Super Reverb blackface

Fender Twin Reverb blackface

On the way-Gibson GA40RVT (Photos attached)

post-2130-000177400 1291087341_thumb.jpg

post-2130-044526200 1291087356_thumb.jpg

Until I get good enough to make some money playing guitar, I'm not going to think about another amp. Besides, after the latest amp from KBP810, who needs all those botique amps? I'm not a high roller who has unlimited choices of amps like some HOC members. I have a champagne taste with a beer budget. So KBP810 and JCA2112 is all I need!

I have a Dr. Z Prescription Jr. (20 W), a Frenzel Super Reverb Deluxe (40 W), a Heritage Patriot 2x12 (45 W), a Vox ACTV4 (4 W), and a Crate (Solid State - 15 W)...

The first three are awesome, tone monsters.

I'm playing a couple amps I build. I have a Big Sky 18 which is my take on a late 60's Marshall simplified to 3 knobs; volume, tone, and wattage. It runs (2) 12ax7's and (2)EL84's with a tube rectifier. Simple wonderful and suprisingly versitile.

My other and newer model I play is a Dumble/Fender style 50 watt with tube driven reverb which i affectionately named the Honey-Drive (see below). The only pedal i sometimes use is a home-made reverb with the Big Sky. I haven't found any other pedals I think enhance the sound of my setup.

The Honey-Drive is the go to at a the moment.

post-2508-081824900 1291921095_thumb.jpg

I'm playing a couple amps I build. I have a Big Sky 18 which is my take on a late 60's Marshall simplified to 3 knobs; volume, tone, and wattage. It runs (2) 12ax7's and (2)EL84's with a tube rectifier. Simple wonderful and suprisingly versitile.

My other and newer model I play is a Dumble/Fender style 50 watt with tube driven reverb which i affectionately named the Honey-Drive (see below). The only pedal i sometimes use is a home-made reverb with the Big Sky. I haven't found any other pedals I think enhance the sound of my setup.

The Honey-Drive is the go to at a the moment.

Very nice! I bet they will sound great with that prospect you have on the way!

Did you build the "Honey-Drive" yourself?

Just a Vox Night Train for me. I've got a Marshall reverb pedal that I sometimes put on for a bit of atmosphere. I mostly play through the amp sims I have in Guitar Rig 4 on my PC.

Early in the new year I'm going to build a 5E3 clone from a partial MojoTone kit (just the chassis and electrical bits except speaker and valves). I'm going to build the cab from scratch from some very nice quartersawn oak I've laid my hands on. I've been inspired by KBP810's example :)

I'll create a new thread for the build when I get started for anyone who's interested.

Very nice! I bet they will sound great with that prospect you have on the way!

Did you build the "Honey-Drive" yourself?

Yes, I build the Big Sky and Honey-Drive myself. I have a couple people I will be building them for this winter. I plan on posting sound clips in the near future so keep a lookout!

Yes, I build the Big Sky and Honey-Drive myself. I have a couple people I will be building them for this winter. I plan on posting sound clips in the near future so keep a lookout!

Excellent, look forward to hearing them!

Especially interested in hearing the Honey-Drive, I've been contemplating building something along those lines myself in the near future.

Archived