Heritage Owners Club

Are NEW Heritage Guitars Still a Good Value?

Gitfiddler

OK, put your flame throwers away! I'm just curious what the masses think about the current pricing on Heritage guitars. In the last few years the entry price of a NEW Heritage has inched up, getting dangerously close to other guitar maker's prices.

On the other hand, I view the cost of a NEW CUSTOM Order to be a relative bargain compared to almost anything else available. The options offered by Heritage for a hand made, custom one-off guitar is simply amazing. Just look at those 357's and 157's owned by a few HOC members. WOW! The out the door price is very reasonable for such an amazing custom piece.

My question is about the base price of a typical Heritage...any model...compared to other makers.

What are your thoughts about non-custom optioned base pricing of off the shelf Heritage guitars? Are they still a good value in this highly competitive market?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last official Heritage catalog/price list is dated January 2010. Actual retail pricing will vary according to individual dealers, along with the amount of inventory available. If you don't go with a custom order, and you are looking for an off-the-shelf guitar, then it imay be difficult to find that certain Heritage that one has in mind among many dealer's limited stock, depending upon the model. But to answer the question, for my money, Heritage guitars are still a great value, given their appearance, playability, construction, and sound.

Well, it all depends if you take in consideration how it was made. Every model was built by hand, not mass production methods. Plus we all have a personal connection with the boys in K-zoo. If you think of Heritage as a pure Custom Shop factory, the same as any other independent luthier out there, you are getting an excellent deal... If you compare it to what the Gibson Factory or overseas factories produce, its not a bargain, it costs you up front.

A run of the mill new H150 is the same price as a Gibson LP Standard (not those traditional pro's, or other baked maple models). However, a run of the mill Les Paul Special is 1/3 of the price of a H137. Gibson Custom Shop does make a LP Jr that costs more than a H137. But take a H150 and compare it to a Gibson Custom Shop Reissue or Historic Reissue, there you find massive savings....

I think the prices are decent on the H150's anyway. My new H150 cost me around $2200 dollars and compared

to the alternative Gibson Historic, I think it was a steal. I just wish they would use the higher end TonePros

stuff on the H150s. That would include ABR bridge, the lightweight tailpiece, and the longer steel studs. I

think I am going to buy a P90 goldtop H150, and see if they will spec it that way for me.

If you absolutely have to have a new one that's great, but I think Heritage really shines when it comes to quality used instruments..With that brand that is made in Nashville (and I own one) you are definitely paying for the name..and the quality may or may not be there..In my case I got a good one after I sent the first one back..But with Heritage you most likely will not have those kinds of problems..

After receiving my one and only custom order Heritage, I was completely sold on the brand as a full on custom shop. I'd like another, but prices are keeping my wallet shut for the time being.

I agree that even a new non-custom order is a decent value because they are hand made, limited production and high quality. Consistency was the knock on Heritage products early on. Now all I can complain about is higher prices. :-)

I agree that even a new non-custom order is a decent value because they are hand made, limited production and high quality. Consistency was the knock on Heritage products early on. Now all I can complain about is higher prices. :-)

We've only got ourselves to blame. While Heritage has improved quality, I think the HOC has had a big hand in elevating the awareness and status of the brand.

Guest HRB853370

OK, put your flame throwers away! I'm just curious what the masses think about the current pricing on Heritage guitars. In the last few years the entry price of a NEW Heritage has inched up, getting dangerously close to other guitar maker's prices.

On the other hand, I view the cost of a NEW CUSTOM Order to be a relative bargain compared to almost anything else available. The options offered by Heritage for a hand made, custom one-off guitar is simply amazing. Just look at those 357's and 157's owned by a few HOC members. WOW! The out the door price is very reasonable for such an amazing custom piece.

My question is about the base price of a typical Heritage...any model...compared to other makers.

What are your thoughts about non-custom optioned base pricing of off the shelf Heritage guitars? Are they still a good value in this highly competitive market?

Tim, without reading anybody elses responses, I think Heritage has every right to be competitive with other manufactureres with regard to pricing! I bought my very first Heritage 150CM brand new, from Wolfe in 2000 and it was shipped to me for $1180. At that time I thought I was getting a screaming deal!!

Value schmalue. Where can you even get what Heritage offers.
I ordered a custom Mille DC and specked the S*** out of it and did they ever deliver.
Not even to mention that you get to work with a fab bunch of guys and girl. That's worth the price of admission by itself.
Can you see anyone at Gbrand calling you up in the morning and asking if you would like to come to the factory and try out the shape of the neck to see if you like it?

Remember when you create a new guitar at Heritage it's not just for you. In the future some really lucky guitar player will be playing a handmade one-of-a-kind unique guitar with a totally fab backstory.

There's a reason it's called Heritage.

I bought a brand new H157 from the dealer's on hand stock for about $2200.00 and I suspect they go for a little more than that now. I think the asking price is very reasonable and if I ever have any doubt about that, all I have to do is go to guitar center and look at a Gibson which costs twice as much and ridicule all the flaws I will find with it. Besides, who the heck would ever want to buy a guitar with a headstock which looks like a duck foot anyway?

You can find new Gibsons (yeah, I said it) for less that a new Heritage, but it will be a lower model, CNCd and NOT custom shop. A standard LP or Traditional will run you around $2300 or more. A Supreme model will set you back $3300 or more. When you start going to the custom shop level, you will be much higher than a new Heritage. Go to a custom shop and you'll start out at $3500 and head up fast.

$3500 will get you just about everything Heritage offers, probably including Throbaks and whatever bridge you want.

So is that good value?

We've only got ourselves to blame. While Heritage has improved quality, I think the HOC has had a big hand in elevating the awareness and status of the brand.

That's a really good point..Never thought about it but it's true..I have several friends who now know about "H" when they had no clue before..

You can find new Gibsons (yeah, I said it) for less that a new Heritage, but it will be a lower model, CNCd and NOT custom shop. A standard LP or Traditional will run you around $2300 or more. A Supreme model will set you back $3300 or more. When you start going to the custom shop level, you will be much higher than a new Heritage. Go to a custom shop and you'll start out at $3500 and head up fast.

$3500 will get you just about everything Heritage offers, probably including Throbaks and whatever bridge you want.

So is that good value?

Sure seems like it..

Yeah... Gibson has made good use of computerized manufacturing and lower cost finishing to make guitars at a lower price point. Their use of multi piece laminated construction has really helped reduce costs. And these can be fine instruments. Heritage doesn't have the ability to produce these grades of guitars.

But Gibson also makes many high end instruments .. generally "historic" models. And it's when compared to these that Heritage really shines. Heritage instruments are infused with the Heritage of that old Parsons Street Plant that still produces some of the finest guitars available ... in solidbody, semi- hollow or full hollow designs. The hollow archtops in particular are stunning examples of traditional craftsmanship.

Value... yes indeed.

Heritage%2520Ad%252080s.jpgheritage_ad.jpg

I love guitars. There seems to be two ways of looking at value with them. Price point is the immediate and most obvious. The other measure of value is its longevity.

For me brand is a nothing to consider. I can say that without a shred of doubt.

Comparative cost is beside the point and not indicative of value.

Guest HRB853370

My belief is Heritage initially kept their prices very reasonable so they could sell their brand name. As awareness and reputation spread (no small debt to the HOC too) they gradually nudged up their prices and they should. The owners don't come to work there every day for free. The company deserves to earn a good profit and the owners and workers deserve fair compensation. Side by side with a brand new G brand, both costing the same? I will take the hand crafted real deal, ANY day of the week!

Archived