Jump to content
Heritage Owners Club
Sign in to follow this  
ficecone

Heritage vs Collings Throwdown

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, rockabilly69 said:

70's Tele Deluxe

I remember liking one of these more than my strat back then. Now I have no strat and am good with my two teles.

Ready to flashback to 1970:

2N2PoVZh.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yooper said:

I remember liking one of these more than my strat back then. Now I have no strat and am good with my two teles.

Ready to flashback to 1970:

2N2PoVZh.jpg

 

I can hardly see the Tele... I'm blinded by the Tie Dye:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised the Dimarzio's dropped right in.  Thought the wide range were slightly larger then normal humbuckers?

Either way, that's a cool guitar, poopy brown and all.  Your band mate has a nice Lester as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

I'm blinded by the Tie Dye:

A good visual distraction from clams. Another Grateful Dead trick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2020 at 6:37 AM, DetroitBlues said:

I'm surprised the Dimarzio's dropped right in.  Thought the wide range were slightly larger then normal humbuckers?

Either way, that's a cool guitar, poopy brown and all.  Your band mate has a nice Lester as well.

DB, it was many years ago but I remember that the guy had to use mounting rings for the DiMarzios, they didn't just drop in. I used to call that guitar Sh*t brown, it was all go, no show:)

That was my friend playing the other Les Paul, a very early KILLER Les Paul Deluxe. His name is Bill Lancaster, unfortunately, he died in a plance crash not long after that pic was taken. He got stationed in Turkey, and he was flying in an Air Force plane that got hit by some lightning that brought it down. We both had plans to win our local Air Force Base talent contests so that we could meet up at the finals which was to be in Florida. We both did win our respective contests, but I couldn't go because their was no one trained that could do my job in the Hill AFB Pharmacy as manning was low. And he was killed right after. What a bummer, as when we got out of the Air Force, we were going to join up in Alberquerque (where my parents lived), and put together a band that would tour the USA. We had unbelieveable musical chemistry and no one I've played with since has worked as well as he did with me. I think of him often!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rockabilly69 said:

DB, it was many years ago but I remember that the guy had to use mounting rings for the DiMarzios, they didn't just drop in. I used to call that guitar Sh*t brown, it was all go, no show:)

That was my friend playing the other Les Paul, a very early KILLER Les Paul Deluxe. His name is Bill Lancaster, unfortunately, he died in a plance crash not long after that pic was taken. He got stationed in Turkey, and he was flying in an Air Force plane that got hit by some lightning that brought it down. We both had plans to win our local Air Force Base talent contests so that we could meet up at the finals which was to be in Florida. We both did win our respective contests, but I couldn't go because their was no one trained that could do my job in the Hill AFB Pharmacy as manning was low. And he was killed right after. What a bummer, as when we got out of the Air Force, we were going to join up in Alberquerque (where my parents lived), and put together a band that would tour the USA. We had unbelieveable musical chemistry and no one I've played with since has worked as well as he did with me. I think of him often!

That’s horrible and an awesome story all in one.  I’m sorry for the loss of your friend.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

That’s horrible and an awesome story all in one.  I’m sorry for the loss of your friend.  

Thanks DB!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking nothing away from Heritage, I’ve had several over the last 25 years, and currently own and love a 535.  
 

Having said that, I also own a Collings DS2H acoustic I’ve had since 2003, and a 360 LTM electric I bought new four years ago.  Collings quality is second to none; every bit of wood and every component is absolute top shelf.  During a trip to Austin last Fall, I got a tour of their factory.  The level of attention to detail the entire staff devotes to every instrument is mind boggling.  I’ve never heard of a flaw on a new Collings, and after seeing the factory, I can easily understand why that’s true.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flashbacks to the time when I couldn't choose between gretsch and epiphone

I guess I know what you have to do: check the record which guitar legendary rock stars preferred more.

That would be the answer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to objectively play a Collins to really say if it is a superior instrument.

One of those does the cost justify the means questions to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2020 at 11:14 PM, Kuz said:

People get so wrapped up over the price of other guitars when comparing to Heritages.

I have two Collings City Limits.  Both are Gold Tops.  One has Lollar P90s and is (IMHO) a better guitar than a Heritage P90 150 GT that I had (The Collings is lighter, more resonate, clearer, with more sustain).  So I sold the Heritage 150 GT P90.  The other Collings City Limits GT came with Throbaks and is "aged" (not relic'd) with a finish showing finish checking.  It was superior to a Terry McInturff Carolina Custon I had, so I sold the McInturff.

Price is irrelevant to me (If I am able to afford it).   Keep which guitar speaks to you and sell or don't buy the others.  But I am willing to pay more for a superior product.  But sometimes the less expensive guitar is the winner.  Also the more expensive Boutique brands will come with upgrades already (Throbak pickups and LIGHTER more resonate wood).  Both of my Collings are significantly under 9lbs.  The Collings CT GT P90 is under 8lbs and Collings CT Throbaks is 8.5lbs.  That means a lot to me, but maybe not to others. 

Collings is one brand I would love to own one day, given the opportunity. Perhaps once I get rid of all my Gibbons guitars, I will be able to spring for one. My problem is getting rid of ANY of my guitars, once I buy them! Is there a word for that addiction? Hoarding perhaps??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some years ago I went out with the intention of buying a Collings acoustic,found the one i went to look at very disappoining,

tried other alternatives i.e. Martin,Lowden etc.and (to my surprise)  walked out with the last guitar i tried,not thinking that it would be in the

running a Gibbons (and I hate this word being changed!) Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo which blew the others away.I suppose it justdepends on the

individual guitar.

Yes I simpathise with the not wanting to sell problem having just bought an Epiphone Les Paul Special TV whicg brings the guitars in the house up

to 64 (I think).To be fair 2 Martins and a Harmony H75 belong to my partner who now cannot play due to Osteo arthritis but wont part with these three.

She did however pass on to me a silverburst Les Paul custom from 1982. Nice gift,nice lady.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, houndhome said:

Some years ago I went out with the intention of buying a Collings acoustic,found the one i went to look at very disappoining,

tried other alternatives i.e. Martin,Lowden etc.and (to my surprise)  walked out with the last guitar i tried,not thinking that it would be in the

running a Gibbons (and I hate this word being changed!) Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo which blew the others away.I suppose it justdepends on the

individual guitar.

Yes I simpathise with the not wanting to sell problem having just bought an Epiphone Les Paul Special TV whicg brings the guitars in the house up

to 64 (I think).To be fair 2 Martins and a Harmony H75 belong to my partner who now cannot play due to Osteo arthritis but wont part with these three.

She did however pass on to me a silverburst Les Paul custom from 1982. Nice gift,nice lady.

@houndhome:  You definitely WIN the prize for "Most Gitfiddles Award" here on the HOC.  :drink_mini:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like in breaking bad... There comes a time when you have too many guitars and have to count by weight!  LOL

 

Good thing I don't count... It would have made that divorce much tougher...  AND,  At least I don't have to say.  "I am replacing the two I sold Honey!!" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

@houndhome:  You definitely WIN the prize for "Most Gitfiddles Award" here on the HOC.  :drink_mini:

So Tim, you only have 63?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spectrum13 said:

So Tim, you only have 63?

Um, no.  I want to stay happily married. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here I opt out of the argument.Although Laine and I have been together for about 37 years and have 2 daughters aged

30 and 29 somehow we never got round to the getting married bit ! To be fair we have both been married (to other people).

Currently trying to aquire guitar number 65,a 1965 Burns Bison,but not sure whether the deal is going to work.

Storage does become a problem.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, houndhome said:

Here I opt out of the argument.Although Laine and I have been together for about 37 years and have 2 daughters aged

30 and 29 somehow we never got round to the getting married bit ! To be fair we have both been married (to other people).

Currently trying to aquire guitar number 65,a 1965 Burns Bison,but not sure whether the deal is going to work.

Storage does become a problem.

owning 65 guitars???  Storage is a problem you're lucky to have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, houndhome said:

To be fair 2 Martins and a Harmony H75 belong to my partner who now cannot play due to Osteo arthritis but wont part with these three.

Extend my condolences. I'm lucky my arthritis is in the ankles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Yooper.She has had one shoulder and one hip replacement,and is waiting for the other shoulder other hip

and both shoulders.She's been waiting now for 18 months for the next op.What hurts most though is the inability to

play guitar any more because of the arthritis in her hands (imagine this with a household full of generally good guitars !)

Add into this Hiatus hernia and Meniers disease and she has some hard days.

The guitars she wont part with are a 1978 Martin HD28 and a 1972 Martin 00-18C.As for the Harmony we have a matching

pair of H75's.When I started playing in the early 1960's my teacher had one (after sending back a strat which he said wasnt

good enough !!) and always wanted one of my own.As soon as I got one Laine looked at it and said "Gosh,I want one"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2020 at 8:41 AM, DetroitBlues said:

I'd like to objectively play a Collins to really say if it is a superior instrument.

One of those does the cost justify the means questions to me.

One of these days you'll have to come by and try this one - pretty good feel and sound.  

dHa9Zze.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jaguarguy said:

One of these days you'll have to come by and try this one - pretty good feel and sound.  

dHa9Zze.jpg

Maybe one day... that's a mighty find looking 137 though....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...