Jump to content
Heritage Owners Club

Tube Prices


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

At times like this, be thankful that you're not a Cordovox player.  Can you imagine the cost to retube one of these tone generator units, not to mention the amp itself. 

Cordovox Tube Amp & Tone Generator w / 2x12 Jensen's! image 3

OUCH! 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fortunately a cordovox player would never play enough gigs to wear out all of those tubes.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

At times like this, be thankful that you're not a Cordovox player.  Can you imagine the cost to retube one of these tone generator units, not to mention the amp itself. 

Cordovox Tube Amp & Tone Generator w / 2x12 Jensen's! image 3

I've seen a few of these in pawn shops. No thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am still waiting for my reward points from MF for my CC. They have a tube amp that has my name all over it, but I want that extra $240 off of it. I don't care about the price of tubes, I want the amp!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 3/17/2022 at 12:12 PM, DetroitBlues said:

Looking forward to my Electric Silverado and rocking out with my Quilter Cub Cadet.

I just saw a commercial for the new electric Silverado. Um, yeah. You can have it. I bought my daughter a Power Wheels when she was younger, but it was a pink Jeep. 🤣

Edited by ElChoad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Shuguang factory is not the only factory in China.   PSVane also makes tubes, although they don't seem to be widely distributed.   They seem to be more oriented to making tubes for high end audio amps like the 300, KT88, etc, although they make 12A_7 preamp tubes, along with EL34 types.  They seem to be pretty pricey if you can find them.

I read that TAD has been working with a "small manufacturer in China" to start making tubes like the 6L6,  GZ34,  12AX7 and 12AU7.    Not sure when they will be available, but you can bet all the amp manufacturers will be grabbing all they can to keep production rolling.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/19/2022 at 6:03 PM, ElChoad said:

I just saw a commercial for the new electric Silverado. Um, yeah. You can have it. I bought my daughter a Power Wheels when she was younger, but it was a pink Jeep. 🤣

Obviously it's not for everyone... Not like I'm going to trade in my 535 for a Firebird X.  But then again, there are those who are so stuck on expired technology, they refuse to give up their rotary phone...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, bolero said:

A Firebird X may be a very valuable collectable in 100 years

Is that a Gibson with auto tuners?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

Obviously it's not for everyone... Not like I'm going to trade in my 535 for a Firebird X.  But then again, there are those who are so stuck on expired technology, they refuse to give up their rotary phone...

Or repro 1950's LP, 335, L5 or tube amps

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't see why anybody would want to go away from tube amps for these new "modeling" amps. I have never heard of a company claiming their tube amp sounds "just like a Line 6 Spider". 🤣 If you want to sound like a tube amp, there is an easy way to do it: put tubes in the damn thing...

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/21/2022 at 11:57 AM, DetroitBlues said:

The tubes, if vintage and serviceable, may be worth a look.

They have a few 12AX7s but the tone bank tubes are 6X8s and 6FH8s, so they aren't something that would be usable in a most guitar amps.  The amp section uses 12AX7s and 7591s,  similar to what's in the old Ampegs  or my Guild Thunderbird.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/21/2022 at 6:13 PM, ElChoad said:

I can't see why anybody would want to go away from tube amps for these new "modeling" amps. I have never heard of a company claiming their tube amp sounds "just like a Line 6 Spider". 🤣 If you want to sound like a tube amp, there is an easy way to do it: put tubes in the damn thing...

Matter of close enough really.... There are many analog amp manufactures that create amps that get you in the ballpark.  With effect pedals, band mixes, etc, the tone of the tube amp is lost or negligible at that point.  I play a Fender Deville 4x10 amp and use a Timmy Clone and a JHS Andy Timmons to get a Marshall-esqe tone out of it.  Could use my Quilter to achieve the same tone.  Even though I have a sweet sounding Marshall DSL20 Tube amp combo....

My point is, I can use pedals that get me into the same territory as my Marshall without dragging that around.   The Fender stays at practice space, I only bring a guitar and my pedal board.  But with the mix, it sounds fantastic.  Next week, we are going to a professional studio with the same amp in the backline.  I'll know better how my "tone" sounds when properly mixed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Matter of close enough really.... There are many analog amp manufactures that create amps that get you in the ballpark.  With effect pedals, band mixes, etc, the tone of the tube amp is lost or negligible at that point.  I play a Fender Deville 4x10 amp and use a Timmy Clone and a JHS Andy Timmons to get a Marshall-esqe tone out of it.  Could use my Quilter to achieve the same tone.  Even though I have a sweet sounding Marshall DSL20 Tube amp combo....

My point is, I can use pedals that get me into the same territory as my Marshall without dragging that around.   The Fender stays at practice space, I only bring a guitar and my pedal board.  But with the mix, it sounds fantastic.  Next week, we are going to a professional studio with the same amp in the backline.  I'll know better how my "tone" sounds when properly mixed.

You do you, man. That's the great thing about having options. You can find what works for you and go with it. If everyone used the same equipment and sounded the same, music might as well turn into rap. 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

My 6P-14Ps arrived today from Romania. Took a little bit, but you have to be a little lenient when ordering something from Eastern Europe. Now I have everything backed up. At least once. That should hold me for a few decades...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/19/2022 at 8:46 AM, TalismanRich said:

At times like this, be thankful that you're not a Cordovox player.  Can you imagine the cost to retube one of these tone generator units, not to mention the amp itself. 

Cordovox Tube Amp & Tone Generator w / 2x12 Jensen's! image 3

My Belgian accordian teacher had one. I was tempted to buy the same rig, with Leslie cabinet back in 65. It sounded glorious. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2022 at 8:46 AM, TalismanRich said:

At times like this, be thankful that you're not a Cordovox player.  Can you imagine the cost to retube one of these tone generator units, not to mention the amp itself. 

Cordovox Tube Amp & Tone Generator w / 2x12 Jensen's! image 3

Thankfully, most of those tubes are 6X8 triode/pentode tubes, which are pretty much only used in tone generators for organs and other things. They have no guitar -related uses, so they are cheap, however that's only IF you can find them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, kbp810 said:

Took about a month, but set of 6P14-ev's I snagged have also successfully arrived. 

IMG_1206-X2.jpg

 

Who was the source Brian?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/2/2022 at 6:35 PM, ElChoad said:

My 6P-14Ps arrived today from Romania. Took a little bit, but you have to be a little lenient when ordering something from Eastern Europe. Now I have everything backed up. At least once. That should hold me for a few decades...

I am awaiting a set from Ukraine. I might be waiting a while.....

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...