Heritage Owners Club

Fretboard inlays

MartyGrass

I noticed that traps are exclusively on H150s unless custom ordered. Otherwise its dots, split blocks, or rectangles. (No birds or skulls.) Is there a story there?

Does anyone know why there are inlays to begin with? Early Spanish guitars didn't have them.

Why does Gibson use plastic inlays? Does is really save them much money?

Gibson uses acrylic inlays becuase they did back in the late 50's and 60s, and they are essentially making reissue guitars. If you change anything you end up completely POing your fanbase. As far as I know the cost of making the holes and inlaying the actual material is probably far more costly than the actual material. You can get pre-cut inlays for LP style guitars from stew-mac for under $50. I really have never understood the reason they still use the acrylic honestly. It just looks so cheap... and kinda like shampoo.

I would wager that inlays started mainly to help people keep track of where they were. I don't know whether the early spanish guitars had side dots or not, but it does help to have some kind of reference.

Don't quote me on this, but didn't fret markers orignate to mark the various positions on the fretboard? The were a guide for beginners and advanced players. As one advanced, there was less of a need for markers, but they looked so cool, they became the norm on guitars. From the original dots marking these positions, builders got more and more ornate, until they became trapezoids, rectangles, pearl, abalone, vines, etc...

Any guitar historians out there can chime in and correct my off the top of my head ramblings. :drunken_smilie:

Have you ever been on stage playing and trying to find the side dots on a dark stage? :aggressive_mini:

Spanish guitars have a shorter fingerboard and join the body at the the 12th fret. This serves as a 12th fret marker. With longer necks and joining the body at different locations, fret markers became a necessity. I think trapezoids, block, split block etc. were all added for elegance, much in the way that the fingerboard edge is bound - it's a touch of class. Personally, traps are by far my favorite fret board marker. They are simple yet elegant at the same time and look great on both plain, or ornate guitars. As for mother-of-peral vs. mother-of-tolitet-seat, the cost difference isn't so much for an individual guitar, but multiply that out but the thousands of guitars the Gbrand produces a year and the savings is quite substantial. And as tbonesullivan pointed out, if the Gbrand changed the formula the fans would cry foul and swear up and down that plastic inlays sound better than MOP.

Traps are my favorites followed by split blocks. I have one with hollow hexagon that's pretty sweet.

I agree a plain board takes a little getting used to.

Traps are my favorites followed by split blocks. I have one with hollow hexagon that's pretty sweet.

I agree a plain board takes a little getting used to.

That group of headstock pics is really cool.

I played the one with these inlays last night...

IM001538edit%20fingerboard.JPG

Fred those in lays are awful.

Awful pretty!!!

Fred you have the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen IMHO. Pictures don't do it justice. When I saw it at last years PSP

I was just floored. Talk about guitar envy!

My signature is for anyone with headstock envy. Although you have the biggest headstock I've seen. :icon_biggrin:

Fred you have the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen IMHO. Pictures don't do it justice. When I saw it at last years PSP

I was just floored. Talk about guitar envy!

My signature is for anyone with headstock envy. Although you have the biggest headstock I've seen. :icon_biggrin:

Wow, thanks . That's quite a compliment.

I normally would have edited that pic a bit, but wanted to leave the binding in the shot for those looking closely at it.

It is a constant thing here to see a Heritage that makes you covet it. Like the 357's and the 555's and ... well , there are a bunch.

I took Steiners advice and played the Centurian acoustically last night... that was quite enjoyable.

( and yes, Kuz , I was careful with your inheritance... )

Wow, thanks . That's quite a compliment.

I normally would have edited that pic a bit, but wanted to leave the binding in the shot for those looking closely at it.

It is a constant thing here to see a Heritage that makes you covet it. Like the 357's and the 555's and ... well , there are a bunch.

I took Steiners advice and played the Centurian acoustically last night... that was quite enjoyable.

( and yes, Kuz , I was careful with your inheritance... )

That a boy!!!!

Archived