Heritage Owners Club

Amp stand.

JeffB

While I'm in the mood for dumb ass posts, here's another. Some one stop me.

Ive been having a clean out and found this in the garage. I made it about 20yrs ago and used it for about 15yrs, then I must have folded it up and hid it away. I forgot about it.

It cost nothing to make, folds up to nothing for easy carrying and storage, aims the speaker directly at your head, with stood 15 yrs of gigs and rough handling and doesn't take up a foot print much bigger than the amp you are using. Does it look professional? nah not really. But with a black backdrop and stage lights no one sees it anyway.

I made this one as a prototype and fully intended to keep refining and strengthening it as I went. It just worked so I never had to refine it.

Works with combo's and head and cabs.

Forgot what it was like aiming the speaker directly at my ears. Changed eq settings on a couple of my amps since I found it again.

Excuse the mess, its a storage/work space/hideout

P1140317.jpg

P1140322-1.jpg

P1140323-1.jpg

one with reflective H150

P1140326.jpg

Do you lose any lows with that stand? I guess if you used it for 15 years, if you DID lose them, you were able to EQ the difference! Cool stand.

Good question. Never stopped to think about it. But now.....I will come back with clips and an essay.

Cool. Reminds me of the Sound Enhancer which I have an use:

Twin_and_Enhancer_sm.jpg

Hmmmmmmmm. Theoretically my two boards screwed together would operate similarly but in a cruder less efficient way.

Mic'ing up the Concert right now.....

Do you lose any lows with that stand? I guess if you used it for 15 years, if you DID lose them, you were able to EQ the difference! Cool stand.

Ok, 1/2hr later after thorough and rigorous testing.

There is a sound difference.

1st I stuck the amp on the stand, put a marker on the floor in line with the front edge of the amp and then walked to a point where the amp was aiming directly at my face and put a marker there. The I struck a big open G chord repeatedly again and again in a rhythmic fashion.

Next I sat the amp on the floor with the front edge in line with the marker I had left earlier. Then I stuck a lump of wood under the front to tilt it back. Then I walked back to the mark where the amp was previously aimed at my face, and it was again. Good guess. The I struck a big open G chord repeatedly again and again in a rhythmic fashion.

I repeated the above non stop a few times over 1/2hr period. There is a difference. It has a warm thump in the lower mids on the stand. Thicker sounding. Harder but with a tighter bottom end on the floor. These could just be perceived changes for all I know. :)

I guess in some small way its closing off the open back portion of the amp and making the cab bigger......I dunno. This pic sort of explains what I mean.

P1140323-1.jpg

But no difference close mic'd and record button pushed.

yeah that's a really cool idea: compact & practical

at first I thought it was just a stand....but the sound from the rear of the amp would bounce off the closed angled rear, and be redirected out to the front underneath the amplifier

sort of like one of those horn speakers

now you need to make one that looks like a seashell :D

That looks like my Concert! Great amp.

I use an older Ultimate metal stand, but I like your idea better.

I cant get rid of the Concert. Ive had it for so long. 1st tube amp I bought. I keep going back to it. It does clean very well and takes any stomp you put in front of it.

yeah that's a really cool idea: compact & practical

at first I thought it was just a stand....but the sound from the rear of the amp would bounce off the closed angled rear, and be redirected out to the front underneath the amplifier

sort of like one of those horn speakers

now you need to make one that looks like a seashell :D

Working on the design right now... ;)

Arcadian-Audio-Pnoe-horn.jpg

Really enhances the decor and ambiance of that room.

Glad Im not a sound head.

Um, Tully, I'm wondering if having the amp on the stand makes a 3db difference.

Test that for us, would you?

Thanks.

Working on it as we speak.

Personal opinion and not every one will agree, but, I think an extra 3db sounds great. I will be an extra 3db louder in any given situation from now on. Theres more tone in that extra 3db. Probably perceived but I like the perception.

Im on holiday. Hence random posts. Nothing seems too serious when work and reality seems so far away. 3db seems to be a bit serious.

Any one want to hear the difference between a really really cheap and cheaply made TS9 clone the original TS9 and a kind of boutique(hate that word) TS9 type pedal? The results will disappoint you.

sure!!

I bet they all sound pretty similar!

give-or-take 3dB...

Theres actually no point. I set them up to sound the same. I couldnt tell which was which when I listened back :dontknow: . But the upmarket one cost a lot compared to the others so im pretty confident its better. icon_datz.gifthwap.gif

Apparently that extra 3db penetrates solid walls and disrupts others sleeping. Even bleary dark eyed glares woken from slumber at 1:30am will admit though, that it does sound good. But can you please turn it down 3db. :sorry_mini:

Archived