Heritage Owners Club

What is the best inexpensive amp you ever owned!

Guest HRB853370

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMG_2433.jpg

I just got this Champ for about $150, it was part of a trade/cash deal so the actual money paid is cannot be determined but is was added to the deal at the last minute to make the difference of $150, so that is the price I feel I got it for. So far the amp is great, the tone is all vintage tube. It is a Silver face but I looked into the champs before I went with is an found that the wiring did not change and is still hand made like the black face amps before it. It was rebuilt and tubed before I got it too. I have some plans to put a 10" or 12" speaker in it. The cosmetics and serial number date it to 1976.

Guest HRB853370

Yep, Classic 50 for $499, looks a little beat up too.

106329033_lg.jpg

I like my Classic 50, nice engineering touch with the built in cooling fan too!!

IMG_2433.jpg

I just got this Champ for about $150, it was part of a trade/cash deal so the actual money paid is cannot be determined but is was added to the deal at the last minute to make the difference of $150, so that is the price I feel I got it for. So far the amp is great, the tone is all vintage tube. It is a Silver face but I looked into the champs before I went with is an found that the wiring did not change and is still hand made like the black face amps before it. It was rebuilt and tubed before I got it too. I have some plans to put a 10" or 12" speaker in it. The cosmetics and serial number date it to 1976.

That Champ looks clean. I believe that Fender did change the circuits of their higher power amps first during the post blackface days. Many of the smaller "practice amps" where left as is. My opinion, many of the silverface amps sound really good anyway. Though I did blackface my 73 Twin.

Guest HRB853370

When I first took up this instrument, late in life, I bought an 89 Fender Strat at a guitar show. I then marched down to my local dealer and bought a Peavey Express 112, transtube, and to this day, makes a fantastic little practice amp. The tones I get in the clean channel are crystal clear, the dirty channel has plenty of crunch, and the transtube circuit provides a little of that breakup that we all love from our tube amps. Cost me about $225 brand new in 1996.

"At the 1995 NAMM show thousands of players, media and dealers crammed into a small demo room inside the Peavey exhibit, one after another, where Peavey engineers set up a blind A/B comparison between their new invention and a real tube amp. No one could tell the difference between the two. Some "golden ears" even thought the TransTube amp was the real tube amp. But How? In devising the TransTube Circuitry, Peavey engineers studied every aspect of how a tube amp works. We learned that recreating tube tone isn't merely a question of gain structure. It's about the entire component chain and how each one interacts with the others. It's about damping factor and the corresponding speaker response. It's about power amp compression. How the amp breaks up when driven hard, harmonic structure and non-linear gain stages. It's about cabinet size, bracing, wood and thickness. But most importantly, it's about what it's not. Those other manufacturers' half-hearted attempt at tube emulation failed because they focused on the wrong elements. So Peavey concentrated on emulating the tone characteristics we all recognize and love about tubes and 86'd the rest. It's a deceptively simple concept, but it took three U.S. Patents to map the entire process for the history books."

I have a Fender Super Champ XD that's been mounted in a JD Newell brown tolex covered pine cabinet with a 12" speaker. The effects are usable and some of the amp models are pretty good. Between the normal channel and the amp modeling channel, I can have Fender cleans with Marshall dirt.

I've never thought of it as an inexpensive amp, but it only cost £100 from the classified ads in the local paper - my Seymour Duncan Convertible 2000. It was in need of attention when I got it (around a dozen years ago). I took it to my guitar man (Phil Boot in Long Eaton, Nottingham) who passed it on to his electronics guy. "No rush," I said. A couple of years later I got it back - the electronics guy was moving and had been working on it when he had a spare moment; amazingly he didn't charge me for the work as he'd had it for so long! I've subsequently had it serviced by Mark at Hot Rox.

It dates from the late 1980s and its unique feature is the interchangeable preamp modules - the first modelling amp! It came with six modules when I got it and I was able to get some more of the circuit boards from a chap on eBay, and I've been able to make my own. The key is to change them around until you find the sound for you then stick with it, as the character of the amp can be altered pretty drastically. The amp has some useful features - power is variable between 5 and 100W, there's variable damping on the speaker, and the power tubes (4 x EL34)are switchable between pentode and triode. They cost about the same as a Boogie when they were new, but never caught on. I've used it on a couple of gigs, but it is HEAVY. However, it sounds great and I don't plan on selling it.

post-1813-0-52756200-1301648409_thumb.jpg

post-1813-0-06210800-1301648654_thumb.jpg

A very cheap amp that I enjoy a lot is my old Marshall Lead 12.

It is an all solid state amp, made in England, and supposedly Billy Gibbons used one of these to record with sometimes.

I bought it from a guy that collected old speakers ( he had some killer speakers stashed away) .

He replaced the 10" Celestion that came with this amp , with an old 12" Alnico.

Man, that amp rocks.. I can't remember trying clean sounds on it, but the Marshall tone out of it is really nice ( and loud ).

For $ 65.. I am well pleased.

Roland Cube 30X. 160.00 new about 4 years ago. Super little amp, scoopy cleans in JC mode that bring smiles to peoples faces. Fundamental effects that work well (same as Boss pedal circuits) on board tuner. Nice modeling settings. Never any issues with it.

The replacement in the Roland line up is the new Cube 40X, everything I have plus an on board looper for under $200. Hard to imagine a better grab n go.

And I hate to say it, but for 200.00 bucks, my Bugera all tube V22 is a sweet, fun amp. Well, until something breaks. Great cleans, gets super gain-y and SUPER loud. Still figuring out how to get the crunch I want. Hopefully I'll be one of the lucky ones that never has an issue.

Marshall Class 5, all tube made in the UK $399.00. Great amp that gets the Real Marshall tone. So many seem to go elsewhere looking for Marshall tone and I say, get the real thing.

Archived