Heritage Owners Club

H-357 Dreaming... What Would You Want?

JackBaruth

So, the man himself, brentrocks, wrote in my topic from yesterday,

"That picture make me glad i got a H 357 when i did...who knows how long Marv will continue to build them?"

What a question! And although I'm not feeling cash-flush at the moment, it occurs to me that maybe I ought to get in line for just one more 357, to be completed in 2012.

Help me think of a truly special and unique 357. Marv may refuse to build it, but it can't hurt to ask. These are the potential 357s floating around in my mind:

• "Black Beauty": black mahogany body, all gold hardware, black pickguard.
  • "Not Quite Retro": Flame maple wings, blue nitro finish, Lollar P-90s.
  • "1965": Blue mist finish, white hardware, two Duncan Antiquity mini-humbuckers.
  • "Red Five": Red nitro finish Korina. Ebony fretboard with MOP/abalone a la H-555.
  • "Firebird Eagle": Wine burst mahogany. Split block inlays. Aged nickel hardware. Bound headstock.

Looking to hear your ideas as well! I'm particularly interested in what you think about the idea of using P-90s or mini-humbuckers. There's no vibrato in any of the above ideas, but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on that topic as well.

fwiw, my dealer told me that marv is not big on having lots of options on the 357s. i plan to go with mahog and dot fretboard, keeping it simple. lust . . . !

If I were a gambling man, I would go for a mahogany, triple mini bucker in pelham blue, chrome hardware, white guard, trap inlays

Like Brent said but in sea foam green or maybe jade.

"That picture make me glad i got a H 357 when i did...who knows how long Marv will continue to build them?"

What a question! And although I'm not feeling cash-flush at the moment, it occurs to me that maybe I ought to get in line for just one more 357, to be completed in 2012.

Help me think of a truly special and unique 357. Marv may refuse to build it, but it can't hurt to ask. These are the potential 357s floating around in my mind:

• "1965": Blue mist finish, white hardware, two Duncan Antiquity mini-humbuckers.
  • "Red Five": Red nitro finish Korina. Ebony fretboard with MOP/abalone a la H-555.
  • "Firebird Eagle": Wine burst mahogany. Split block inlays. Aged nickel hardware. Bound headstock.

Looking to hear your ideas as well! I'm particularly interested in what you think about the idea of using P-90s or mini-humbuckers. There's no vibrato in any of the above ideas, but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on that topic as well.

The Blue with the Mini-Buckers!! There that was easy..You can thank me later!!

" . . . Help me think of a truly special and unique 357. Marv may refuse to build it, but it can't hurt to ask. These are the potential 357s floating around in my mind: . . . "1965": Blue mist finish, white hardware, two Duncan Antiquity mini-humbuckers."

The "1965" sounds interesting. I always enjoyed the mini-humbuckers from the days of my 1964 Epiphone Crestwood.

Guest HRB853370

The skills to build them will be passed down to future hands...its the way of the world

I would go for a Pelham blue or Inverness Green finish, nickle hardware, two Duncan Antiquity mini-humbuckers. Or a Firebird 1 in Cardinal Red with a Duncan Antiquity mini-humbucker.

a 357 LW (chambered). ;)

I have one being made in Korina. Ebony board with MOP blocks, cream guard and rings . Seth Lover pups. Can't wait to get it, Marv told me two weeks ago that I was third in line.

Get it set up with Robot tuners and onboard Blu-Tooth(sp?) ready effects, synthesizer/emulator things that connect to the Internet and computers and stuff!

Actually, I'd go with a finish and not paint just to highlight the cool look of the neck-through design (although sounds like you already have at least two so maybe that's a lot less important). I would maybe go for split-block inlays or just side-dots on a nice looking board with a lot of character, and if you are going to paint it, something like a nice figured Rosewood board or a nice Ebony board with a Powder Blue or Seafoam Green would probably be pretty cool. I think OSB or Antique Sunburst would be cool finishes that it looks like you don't have (although, those are probably my two favorites Heritage does, so I'd say that about any guitar they make). My first thought was hey, shouldn't you keep the Mahogany wings as that is supposed to help a bit with warming up neck-through guitars? Then I remembered hearing the wings are much less important than the neck and since you already have two you probably have a good feel for it, and can probably use Mahogany for the neck (or just account for it with pickups, electronics/caps/pots, amp/EQ settings, etc.), so hey, why not?

You could also get Split-Block inlays, binding all around, OSB finish, a Charlie Christian neck pickup, and a Pigtail Intoneable Wrap-Around Bridge, but then you'd have to call it the Dave R. Tribute on the truss rod cover. ;) I bet that would be a pretty cool setup though.

The "1965" sounds interesting. I always enjoyed the mini-humbuckers from the days of my 1964 Epiphone Crestwood.

Exactly!! i had a Firebird back in the day with mini buckers..Great sounding guitar..(Made at Parsons Street)..i was a dumb kid, didn't know what I had..sold it..

"Exactly!! i had a Firebird back in the day with mini buckers..Great sounding guitar..(Made at Parsons Street)..i was a dumb kid, didn't know what I had..sold it.. "

Don't feel alone! :icon_shaking2:

Archived