Heritage Owners Club

Much ado about transistors, tubes, mojo, nothing?

barrymclark

Ok, so... some of you know how much I love my Cube's tone.

None the less, with how much I loved my Cube's tone, I am now in hot pursuit of something that will beat it tone wise. Not that better is necessarily tangible or measurable by some universally excepted metric, but to my ears, mo' betta'.

Although I have found some that get right up there, I have YET to find an amp that, in my ears, beats it. From all of the multithousand dollar amps I have played over the past few months, I'd put my Cube in the ring with any of them and expect a win.

Granted, opinion drives this thread. None the less, it leaves the question open, and it has been for a long time, why are solid states and modellers so maligned?

I can't tell you how often I will get someone commenting on my tone and how GREAT it is and as soon as they find out it is a Cube... they instantly say it is ALL because of the Heritage (partially true, sure) but now the Cube is holding it back. Really? Their opinion went from "That sounds GREAT" to "It could sound better."

NOT ONCE has anyone conceded that maybe, just maybe, the Cube is a damn fine sounding amp and in the right hands, it is a GREAT amp.

To me, it ultimately means this mess about tubes and modelers and solid state and so on is just hooey. Now... there is something to be said for quality parts and quality make. In the end, if the amps sounds good to you... and people are asking how you get that tone as though they want it too... you got a great amp. Don't care how much it costs.... or how much SRV would never have played through it. You got a great amp.

But... my pursuit continues while my Cube still carries the belt.

Roland makes some of the best sounding electronic amps out there. They make Boss Pedals, which are extremely popular, so why would a Solid State amp being any different? I've also heard that solid state amps are actually better for Jazz players because of the high volume and sparkly clean tones they produce. Now would I have a Cube? Probably not, but that's because I have no need for one. I have my Line 6 pocket pod for quiet practice and my KBP810 RD for when it's time to crank it up.

Roland makes some of the best sounding electronic amps out there. They make Boss Pedals, which are extremely popular, so why would a Solid State amp being any different? I've also heard that solid state amps are actually better for Jazz players because of the high volume and sparkly clean tones they produce. Now would I have a Cube? Probably not, but that's because I have no need for one. I have my Line 6 pocket pod for quiet practice and my KBP810 RD for when it's time to crank it up.

Certainly wasn't meaning this to be a narrative on why people should run out and buy an amp that I own. Just still rather shocked at how pervasive the attitude against modelers and solid state is on many forums. Although not a fan of Line6 amps, they have been getting better and better and, I expect, one day they will have an amp I will flip over. I really like the idea of their DT amps.

The point, in a small way, of my thread was exactly what you said, "Why do I want it... if I already have it?"

I with you on this Barrymclark. I have spent the better part of the past two years looking for the best amp for my Eagle. I've played pretty much all of them, tube and solid state alike. I kept coming back to the cube, an 80XL in my case. I simply could not squeeze the same or better sound out of any other that I tried. Finally, I bought one. I sure am glad I did. For my ears and what I am playing it is the best.

I with you on this Barrymclark. I have spent the better part of the past two years looking for the best amp for my Eagle. I've played pretty much all of them, tube and solid state alike. I kept coming back to the cube, an 80XL in my case. I simply could not squeeze the same or better sound out of any other that I tried. Finally, I bought one. I sure am glad I did. For my ears and what I am playing it is the best.

And that's what's its all about. What sounds good to your ears...

I believe I know what you mean. I actually hope to pick up an 80xl at some point and modding up my 80x to be an extension cabinet. The work is reversible. ;)

The setting I use right now is the Tweed setting. Not sure how Bassman-y it really is... but that I didn't care about. I LOVED the Fender Deluxe setting until I adjusted my pole pieces. Then I got into the Bassman setting. Just seems to balance everything out just right. The tone has that right about amount of humming (like someone humming) clarity and barking break up when I lean into it while still staying very clean. I don't have a recording of it the tone I use now... but maybe I will soon enough. Either Rock This Town or Rock Around the Clock or something. Maybe even Ace of Spades a'la Chuck Berry/Reverend Horton Heat/Danny Cedrone. haha.

And that's what's its all about. What sounds good to your ears...

Absolutely, and the Cube certainly may not be for many a player even without corksniffing involved.

I had a Cube 30X a very good amp. But when I got a Blues Junior the Cube got no play time, with semi hollows / hollows especially the jnr sounds much more "real". Then about six months ago I got a Super Champ XD which has put the Jnr in the shade, it's not that it's so much better but it can do so much without hooking up external od pedals, chorus or delay. Not that I even use the built in chorus or delay just a small amount of reverb is all I usually need.

I had a Cube 30X a very good amp. But when I got a Blues Junior the Cube got no play time, with semi hollows / hollows especially the jnr sounds much more "real". Then about six months ago I got a Super Champ XD which has put the Jnr in the shade, it's not that it's so much better but it can do so much without hooking up external od pedals, chorus or delay. Not that I even use the built in chorus or delay just a small amount of reverb is all I usually need.

Funny enough, and this just highlights the whole opinions/assholes thing, to me the Cube 80x I ended up getting sounded more 'real' than the Blues Junior which is an amp I already had a high opinion of. Just goes to show, what person thinks is real, someone else might not so much.

I think so much of it, regardless of why, if the amps moves you, then it would normally translate through your playing. Like you can't really force where you find love or friendship, you can't really force what will move you. If it does, be open to the experience.

...and I also really dig that I don't have to have tuners and pedals everywhere. haha. Totally with you there. ;)

I don't have any experience with the cube, but I really like my Roland AC 60 as an acoustic rig, I've had it for years with no issues. In fact I like it so much that I have been considering moving up to the AC90 model for a little more of the goodness.

I don't have any experience with the cube, but I really like my Roland AC 60 as an acoustic rig, I've had it for years with no issues. In fact I like it so much that I have been considering moving up to the AC90 model for a little more of the goodness.

Heard WONDERFUL things about those amps too!

I would agree with that, it's more about what you do with an amp than anything else

I've played a lot of tube amps I think are over rated; reading stuff on the internet only goes so far

jazz & cleaner sounds have always suited SS designs too though, modeling amps start to sound cheesy with effects & distortion but they are improving them

I have a cheap little solid state marshall from the '80's that sounds pretty good though

my head's in mississippi....

I cut my teeth on tube amps (ouch) back in the 70s. Many of the solid state amps back then where pretty bad. Although I did have a large Acoustic amp for a while that was decent. A friend had decided to learn guitar last year and he bought a cheap $100 line six amp with his Squire Strat. The amp surprised me, it was a blast to play around with. After that I can believe the positive comments here regarding the higher level SS amps.

I do love my tube amps. But the problem with tube amps are, well, the tubes. Modern tubes can be spotty quality wise and performance varies, NOS are expensive. At least for those of us who like to tinker, the older design non PCB tube amps are fun to work on and usually easily repaired.

I haven't played a Cube, but I can say that the Patriot was an eye opener for me. The snap, response, sensitivity, whatever you want to call it was phenomenal. Its a clean amp, you really need to crank it up to get grit.

There is so much range in the tone, with the mood control, presence control and bright switch. It can do a nice smooth jazz sound, and with a few knob tweaks go to a country chicken pickin bright sound.

Its a never ending quest to find the perfect sound, whatever that is.

I play with Evans Amps exclusively since 1999. I never looked back ever since.

I have two JE200 and one AH200 with flite sound cab.

I used to use Twin Reverbs but I could not carry it after a while.

I am 45 now and weight is important.

The tone of these amps are not the same as tube amps but they sound very good.

I have a custom Heritage 575 and a Guild Blues 90 with SD Antiquity pickup replacements.

I sometimes have twin reverbs rented for me if there is a budget for the concert.

But, I am having custom flight cases built for my Evanses and I will have them carried rather than renting twins.

You should check them out.

And yes, cubes sound good.

Great friend of mine, Ray Burnett, with whom I play often (just Sunday night, in fact), and a local jazz guy of some note, swears by Evans amps! He has two of them. Plugged my Super Eagle into one (200 watter, 2x8") Sunday night, just for laughs. Sounded very good!

If I were honest with myself, I'd admit that I need nothing more than my Fender Super Champ XD. I'm not honest with myself. I tell myself that I also "need" my Fender Deluxe Reverb, heavily modded Blues Junior, Peavey Classic 30 and Traynor YCV40, because "I just can't get the complex harmonics from a SS amp.,,," Or some other tube story I've heard and bought into. I agree, at volume, nothing can beat a tube amp. However, a lot of my playing is at lower volume, and to me, that's where the Super Champ outshines the big boys.

I also recently picked up a Line 6 POD HD500, and I gotta say, this thing blows away previous multi-effects and modellers. VERY sensitive to volume roll-off and picking dynamcs.

Superchamp XD is a great amp for sure. I only parted ways with it because I need a "louder" amp last year. That's one amp I wish I still had...

I don't want to step on any toes here so please keep in mind this is just my opinion.

While I agree with much of what has been posted here about SS amps & modelers in general, I have to disagree with the choice of any of the Cubes as a go to amp unless your on a limited budget. Don't get me wrong, bang for the buck it may be a good choice but it really doesn't hold a candle to the better modeling amps out there. To call it a great modeler IMO is simply to be uninformed. Having had a Cube 80X myself and playing it side by side with an Axe-Fx and being able to directly compare them with an A-B switcher quickly brings to light the glaring differences in sound quality, and those differences DO NOT favor the Cube by any stretch of the imagination. Sure you can bring up the price difference, but in the end if GREAT tone is your destination you can definitely do much better then a Cube.

One last thought, almost any piece of gear can be made to sound awesome by truly great artists, that doesn't make it a great piece of gear. Why do you think Roland and so many other corporations pay guys like Johnny DeMarco to travel around the world hyping their gear. A great artist can always make mediocre gear sound good, but a bad artist will never make even the best gear sound decent.

BTW I gave my Cube 80X to my 11 yr old gran-daughter who wants to learn to play. That made more sense then letting it collect dust around here.

I don't want to step on any toes here so please keep in mind this is just my opinion.

While I agree with much of what has been posted here about SS amps & modelers in general, I have to disagree with the choice of any of the Cubes as a go to amp unless your on a limited budget. Don't get me wrong, bang for the buck it may be a good choice but it really doesn't hold a candle to the better modeling amps out there. To call it a great modeler IMO is simply to be uninformed. Having had a Cube 80X myself and playing it side by side with an Axe-Fx and being able to directly compare them with an A-B switcher quickly brings to light the glaring differences in sound quality, and those differences DO NOT favor the Cube by any stretch of the imagination. Sure you can bring up the price difference, but in the end if GREAT tone is your destination you can definitely do much better then a Cube.

One last thought, almost any piece of gear can be made to sound awesome by truly great artists, that doesn't make it a great piece of gear. Why do you think Roland and so many other corporations pay guys like Johnny DeMarco to travel around the world hyping their gear. A great artist can always make mediocre gear sound good, but a bad artist will never make even the best gear sound decent.

BTW I gave my Cube 80X to my 11 yr old gran-daughter who wants to learn to play. That made more sense then letting it collect dust around here.

I actually don't look at it like a modeler. ;) Funny enough, I don't even really care for many of the beloved classics commonly modeled. So... and dead ringer would do me no good. haha.

Again, though, your post is exactly my point. I might try your most loved set up... and walk away underwhelmed. Does that mean I am uncultured? No. Just different tastes. There are those little things that make the tone move me over something else. ;)

I actually don't look at it like a modeler. ;) Funny enough, I don't even really care for many of the beloved classics commonly modeled. So... and dead ringer would do me no good. haha.

Again, though, your post is exactly my point. I might try your most loved set up... and walk away underwhelmed. Does that mean I am uncultured? No. Just different tastes. There are those little things that make the tone move me over something else. ;)

...to add... I honestly don't shop with clarity or color or mojo or flexibility in mind. I just listen. When I hit a chord or... whatever... does it have a sound that just drives me to hear more? More or less clarity may actually hurt the experience. It may help. Just one of those things. Many find their ideal sound in JCM800's. I can't stand them. Many find it in Mesa Boogie. I have never gotten one to sound good in my hands whereas many others have. Just one of those things.

Great friend of mine, Ray Burnett, with whom I play often (just Sunday night, in fact), and a local jazz guy of some note, swears by Evans amps! He has two of them. Plugged my Super Eagle into one (200 watter, 2x8") Sunday night, just for laughs. Sounded very good!

I bet it did. I first saw an Evans amp in New York 1st Street Cafe.

I used to live in NY. Sheryl Bailey was playing thru an Evans Amp.

She had a very good sound but I did not take it that seriously once I have found out that the amp was not tubes.

Then, I saw Vic Juris playing thru 2 Evans Amps in stereo.

That got my attention.

Then I ordered one JE200. Then the second JE200 and lastly a AH200.

I love'm all. I play with at times when I can have them carried for me.

I run two amps at a time with a signal going direct to each one. Not at gigs. I do this to compare dynamics. I try and set both to the same level in some way.

What happens is it reveals how each amp responds differently to pick/finger attack. You have them set close volume wise for a standard strum(what ever that means) and have your guitar controls wide open and then back off your pick attack or start playing with fingers. The more dynamic amp will be lost in the sound of the less player affected amp. Then you smack your strings full force, stabbing and slashing(blah blah) and the more dynamic amp will over power the amp that is less player affected.

The happy moment is when you discover that the more dynamic and more player affected amp is also the better sounding amp. The frustrating moment is when you like the sound of the less player affected amp but want the dynamics of the more player responsive amp.

Unlike a lot of players I dont use the guitars volume and tone controls(very minimally any way) . I have them set wide open. I like the way the guitar responds to my playing and the way it sounds when the controls are wide open. Acoustic guitars dont have volume controls apart from the way you strum or pick. You also alter the tone of it by adjusting your touch. I love the humble acoustic guitar.

I dont regard an electric guitar as much of a musical instrument until its paired with an amplifier or sound generator of some kind . Theyre both pretty useless without each other. I want the amp to respond pretty much exactly as the guitar does. Im all for a little sound/tonal manipulation and all that the amp brings with it but I want to feel what im playing just as you do when you play a nice acoustic.

So far Ive only had that from tube amps but I havent tried every ss or profiling/modeling amp out there.

I know some guys are more than happy with their line6/roland/etc solid state amps and sound great. Im always open to new ideas.

Archived