Heritage Owners Club

Heritage Acoustic Guitars

ryanm74

Hello all, I have owned Heritage guitars for several years now, but I just joined this forum today. I love my H157 and H150, they caused me to sell my 1974 Les Paul Standard that I had for 20 years. My question is about Heritage acoustic guitars. I know they made full on regular acoustics when the company started (at least that is what I have found so far) but I cannot find any information about them. Were they made in Kalamazoo? Were they solid wood guitars or laminate? Were there several models? If anyone can provide any information, I would be very appreciative.

Heritage Acoustics were made in Kalamazoo. There is something about another company that made the body and Heritage used their own necks. There are a few different models, if you look on the top of the forum there is a photo gallery that shows you the different models. There aren't that many examples on this forum since they were not massed produced. Keep in mind Heritage is more of a custom shop then an assembly line factory.

welcome ryan. i own a HFT 445 which was made in the early days. mine is a factory reject on account of a broken neclk that was reglued and a split in the spruce top. if i could only own one of my Heritages it would be the one. the tone is to die for. plays great, stays in tune with itself over time. heritage had to make acoustics and mandolins in the early days to be considered a 'full line' guitar company, but soon realized their niche was the electric boxes and H150 H535 styles and that is what they concentrated on.

there are pics of mine in the gallery. others on this list have them too. once in a while they come up for sale on ebay but the price of them has gradually creeped up over time. if you can get one, go for it. you won't be sorry. sure I'd like to have a Martin D35 but till then my HFt 445 is the one I'd keep above all, even with it's flaws.

others will have more background.

how bout some pics of your Heritages?

I gave my left... never mind, for this one. It is an H-475, one of 5 or 6 built. It is a second but Marv Lamb couldn't tell me what was wrong with it, while holding it in his hands. I knew when I got it that I would never play the 445 I bought new from Mr. Walker. I sold it to Steiner. It is probably the best looking specimen of all the 445s.

The H-475. Dibs are Lydia's. When they read the will this one will be hers. The Firebird and 535 are going to be sent with me into the afterlife. Gate way 225 Parsons St. Kalamazoo, MI 49007.

img_7455_std.jpg

img_7461_std.jpg

Archtops are 'Zoo builds, and flat top acoustics (400 series) are Larrivee bodies with Heritage necks. Larrivee bodies were built by Jean Larrivee in his British Columbia plant. He only builds solid wood acoustics, never laminate. He also builds for a dovetail joint, not the bolt on style, a la Taylor and Bourgeois. Much debate as to one being better than another sonically, but the bolt on sure makes for an easier neck reset, but that's for your grandkids to worry about.

Larrivee guitars are top notch acoustics. Very sensible decision on the part of Heritage to take that approach, in my opinion. With the neck appointments such a visual characteristic of an acoustic, and with the skill and care that Heritage puts into fit and finish, I think the Heritage acoustics would be a real unique high quality guitar to have.

I gave my left... never mind, for this one. It is an H-475, one of 5 or 6 built. It is a second but Marv Lamb couldn't tell me what was wrong with it, while holding it in his hands. I knew when I got it that I would never play the 445 I bought new from Mr. Walker. I sold it to Steiner. It is probably the best looking specimen of all the 445s.

The H-475. Dibs are Lydia's. When they read the will this one will be hers. The Firebird and 535 are going to be sent with me into the afterlife. Gate way 225 Parsons St. Kalamazoo, MI 49007.

img_7455_std.jpg

img_7461_std.jpg

Bird, I would love to hear this beauty. WOW!

I've had the pleasure of owning two - first was an HFT445 that Detroit Blues now owns, the second is a H450 I picked up from Brentrocks (who hasn't bought a guitar from Brent?)

Here is the 450

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

Good Gawd, this one too. Flame maple slope shoulder dread, is that what I'm seeing? Holy crap guys, these have got to sing. SOOOO jealous.

That's the butt shot I was looking to see. You don't see mahogany stripped like that too often. Thatt's some beautiful wood and beautiful shots Bird. Thanks!

Archived