Heritage Owners Club

HFT-445 goes to the Doctor for her "Facelift"

schundog

As I've mentioned before, I made a deal this past winter with DetroitBlues to get my Heritage acoustic. The TRC was personalized for DB, so I took it off and sent it back to him, and he mentioned Steiner may either have one or help me get one, along with a pickguard, which was absent. Steiner jumped through all kinds of hoops for me and got some TRCs made, along with a HFT-445 pickguard, which was no easy task since it has such a unique geometry. Steiner then helped me figure out how to attach it, and I ordered the required 2 sided 3M type tape for the task. Once it's affixed to the guitar, THAT'S IT, it's not coming off without a good chunk of guitar with it, so I wanted it done right. I finally got my buddy/tech Kevin to have some time tonight to help me out.

He's about 10 miles away, so I took some other potential problems, er, guitars with me for his opinion. I hadn't measured the G&L S-500s action, and just wanted him to see if it needed a TR adjustment. It didn't, but he filed a bit of the B string nut slot, as it was sitting a bit high. Last night I put D'Darrio flatround 13s on my Ibanez AF-105 jazz box, and figured it needed some attention, too. It needed minimal TR adjustment, but he spent probably 20 minutes filing the nut slots on every string on it, and it played much better (I didn't play any better, but the guitar did, haha.)

Finally, I pulled out my H-137, which he has set up, and asked what he thought about it with/without the pickguard Lyle gave me a few months ago. He, like I, was torn between which looked better, with or without. Either way, he said use screws if I attached it, not the sticky tape, as it already had the screw holes drilled into the PG. So, here's some pics from the night.

Actually, I put the TRC on as soon as I got them from Steiner, a month or more ago.

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/schundog/GL025.jpg[/img]"]https://GL025.jpg

SwaimShop006.jpg

SwaimShop009.jpg

SwaimShop014.jpg

SwaimShop016.jpg

Finished! (Unless I decide to put a nice preamp in, which I may decide to do.)

SwaimShop021.jpg

Just to set the record straight, that H137 pickguard I gave you was the handiwork of Cryoman, Pete from Albuquerque.

He crafted it, along with a few others for HOC'ers. Wouldn't take a dime from me, not even for postage. Truly nice guy.

In the end, I couldn't bring myself to drill holes in my pristine H137, and I remembered yours had some playwear that pickguard should pretty well cover.

Your decision, 'dog. Can't help you there. I wimped out once.

Nice collection you're accumulating. Pretty soon you'll be getting a cherry H535 and maybe a Mille.

Oh wait...................

https://

SwaimShop002.jpg

Very nice Ibanez.

My instructor just found the exact same guitar in a pawn shop and snapped it up immediately.

I asked him why it had a Chevrolet emblem on the tailpiece.

Very nice Ibanez.

My instructor just found the exact same guitar in a pawn shop and snapped it up immediately.

I asked him why it had a Chevrolet emblem on the tailpiece.

Thanks, Lyle. I bought it from GC, used, once, sold it to Monster Pawn (to get money to buy God-knows-what gear, haha), and re-acquired it about 6 months later in another trade involving a Polytone SS Jazz amp I picked up for little money. It plays very nicely, but, of course now, all I'll see is a Chevrolet, haha. You're a real Smart-A$$, Lyle, but you're MY kind of smart-A$$..... :laughing7:

no is my vote on adding the PG to the H137. not that I have a say..

Naked guitars are fun but I like the formality of a full dressed ax. Nice work. And thank you for keeping us abreast!

See you on the bridge!

I say add the PG!!!!

I've probably already angered the guitar gods by adding a pickguard to my previously un-defiled-by-pickguard Heritages, haha. We'll see. If I DO put it on, it's on for good, as the screw holes would be pretty noticeable if I took it off.

Regarding the preamp on the flattop, no, I haven't done that yet. Kevin doesn't feel comfortable doing it himself, he'd want to have his amp-building friend do it, and, frankly, I'm a little afraid to meet another amp builder... :icon_pale: I tend to get myself in trouble when I associate myself with guys like that! :icon_rr:

Archived