Heritage Owners Club

starting to take shape

big bob

Yes I did shoot the wood with nitro...

and yes I hope to have her at pspV...

Say... That is Good News!

The final installment.

I have spent the last two days soldering parts and following schematics. I must say I do enjoy the process.

The best part however is playing through it. She sounds great.. I have not yet experimented with all the tube combos yet but a quick check and the 6v6 and 6l6 sound Great.. tomorrow I'm hoping to play with a el34. and maybe a different rectifier tube..

Overall this has been a great experience that I will most certainly be repeating in the future, maybe a 5e3 next...

Oh ...Thanks Brian for all your help and hand holding.

cloud9finished002.jpg

cloud9finished005.jpg

cloud9finished011.jpg

cloud9finished015.jpg

Funky...I would expect nothing less. Not your typical Champ, but hey... Neither are you, typical. Special maybe, yes definitely special in a wonderful way.

As an afterthought, I'll bet nobody saw that coming. Rock on Big Bob. Can't wait to hear it.

Now the fun begins. Brian helped my put together my build sheet. I went with over sized transformers and some other mods that will allow me to switch tubes, not just power ( 6v6/6l6/el34/el84) but also preamp and rectifier tubes. Because the amp is class A there is no need to rebias after each change. Now if only I was home!

Lance,

Face plate is SO COOL!!! And I like that you can choose from 4/8/16 watts - great idea, as well as the ability to use different kinds of tubes, This will be a very versatile amp. Yahoo!

Remember to tighten the finnigan pins and reverse the flux prior to applying power.

That's what overloaded my pre-phase inline inversion coupler. Sheesh!

Now the fun begins. Brian helped my put together my build sheet. I went with over sized transformers and some other mods that will allow me to switch tubes, not just power ( 6v6/6l6/el34/el84) but also preamp and rectifier tubes. Because the amp is class A there is no need to rebias after each change. Now if only I was home!

First thing I noticed in this latest round of pics was the big iron. Nine out of ten builders would not have done that. Kudos for not suboptimizing your circuit! El34 won't bias as hot as it should with the cathode bypass resistor used for 6v6. Probably will sound great anyway. With a design like this, a builder can sub in different makes, types, and values of resistors and capacitors. The parts count is so low that there is no problem with subbing in high end parts. Doesn't take a crystal ball to see you hanging out more at the amp garage forum in your future! The final thang is the sound quality, and a single ended amp with a simple circuit is not necessarily a one trick pony...It can end up being a very potent secret weapon.

Niiiiiiiiiice work big bob! Congrats on carefully and so skillfully crafting your personal Frank-en-Champ!

Boutique amps for boutique guitars!

Boutique guitars for boutique amps!

At first I assumed it would be a combo like the standard Champs. This appears to be a Head with the variable ohm selector 4/8/16 to mate with any speaker cabinet. I can't wait to see what the extension cabinet will look like. Maybe you could experiment with a full stack of 8x4" speakers in mini Marshall style cabinets (1 straight and 1 angled) with Austin Powers design and color tips. Maybe use Bose 4" speakers. Get your Freak on.

Impedance dial? I wondered it was a bias pot, couldn't tell in the pic. +1 Nice air flow engineering on the chassis cab.

Separate head for this design makes WAY more sense IMHO. I have run 2/12's, 1 and 2/15's with mine, a single ended amp done and operated right is inspiring to listen to, especially one designed for tube rolling. Can tube tune the amp to a guitar, room, or both. And the best part of all, it's not store bought tone toys that our friend big bob keeps sharing with us here. Each tends towards sensible uniqueness.

Hey , I missed the update on this one.... very cool stuff.

It should be a great sounding amp .. and with a retro inspired look too.

That cab is radical, but designed to be functional too.

Great Job , Lance.

Archived