Heritage Owners Club

Mind if i SMOKE?

brentrocks

I have never in my life seen a guitar that has been exposed to more cigarrette smoke, except for maybe one of Slash's slash.gif

This is a 1985 H 170. And, no, those tuners are not gold...that is 27 yrs of smoke buildup! Considering its age, it actually is in really good shape! The finish was super hazy, very dull and lacking gloss. I striped the guitar down and tried to buff off all that haze and dirt....it turned out pretty good. I was thinking about a pickup change, but the stock Schallers sounded REALLY good in this guitar. Its sporting a killer flame top and a 1 piece back....overall, in really nice condition!

IMG_2793.jpg?t=1349298839

IMG_2794.jpg?t=1349298841

IMG_2795.jpg?t=1349298844

IMG_2796.jpg?t=1349298846

IMG_2797.jpg?t=1349298850

IMG_2798.jpg?t=1349298854

IMG_2799.jpg?t=1349298856

IMG_2800.jpg?t=1349298865

Beautiful top on that one. I'd replace the tuners. I wouldn't be able to deal with the smoke residue. I'm highly allergic to cigarette smoke. But it looks like that will be a really nice 170 after you're finished cleaning it.

That is the one I was looking at --- I thought it looked pretty cool.

Smokin' Heritage H-170

After some of the feedback and advice, I am looking at 535/555... but, if I could have afforded more than one choice, I would have liked to try this one out!

I'm guessing new knobs, new tuning keys at least.

You know, if anyone should be the one to restore that guitar, it's probably you.

Cheers,

S_C

That there GUNK all over the tuners is called PATINA, son. Very valuable.... Some people pay good money just to get that put on their brand new geetars. Makes it have the MOJO!

:rolleyes:

And if you need a quick nicotine fix during a gig, you can always lick them mid solo for a sweet guitar move!

I was lookin' at that one too. So tell us, how much of the stank did you get out of it? Looks great BTW.

Well, i smoke so i may not notice it as much, i dont think it stunk that bad to begin with.

That is how my former gigging Taylor Acoustic got it's faded amber finish..... years & years of cigarette smoke in the bars.

I have since sold it, so no pics.

Looks like the guy that had it needed a mojo filter :)

: ) now, what song is that phrase from? it sounds familiar.

and . . yeah, nice top!

I have a 1976 es335 that has smoke and grill grease embedded in the finish. I took it to a well-known luthier in the area and he said that it's never going to come out no matter how much buffing and cleaning I do. That was 22 years ago and that axe still smells like the roadhouse that it was kept in.

Archived