Heritage Owners Club

The Doug & Pat show

fretless

I think the '58 & '60 sounded quite different than the 150, which was muddier

I actually don't like WCR pickups as much as throbak's & wolfetones, which IMO would have sounded more like the vintage pups in those other gtrs

The 150 sound exactly like that '58 Les Paul!!! But that guy has some serious chops too!

Absolutely, on the chops. Then...here we go.... Subjective, adjective, $.02 city: Not on the tone. '58 and '60 were more round, warm, "chubbier" than the 150, without sounding at all woolly. Listen to Just Got Back From Baby's, the vinyl version, dry, not that remix crap, with all the 'verb. The '58 and '60, as you'd expect, were right there with Pearly Gates. The 150, a little less substantial, and slightly more...transparent. Sounded great, but not quite "vintage" PAF, and yes, I've played '59's and '60's.

I think the '58 & '60 sounded quite different than the 150, which was muddier I actually don't like WCR pickups as much as throbak's & wolfetones, which IMO would have sounded more like the vintage pups in those other gtrs

I don't agree on the "muddier," Chris. I, too, would have liked to hear the 150 with the Throbaks. I thought the '58 absolutely sang! '60 was just a little tighter. After several listenings, I thought the 150 actually had qualities of both the vintage pieces, but neither quality to the degree of the original instrument. A compromise. A nice compromise, but compromise, nonetheless.

Listen to Just Got Back From Baby's, the vinyl version, dry, not that remix crap, with all the 'verb. The '58 and '60, as you'd expect, were right there with Pearly Gates.

Sorry! That tune is on ZZ Top's first album.

Thanks for the video.

I hope the Geezer's are using the pipe lighting thing in their act cause its got me laughing. Doug's reactions were great. It was like vaudeville.

That '58 sure sounded nice through the Vox. Doug's playing was inspiring as well was his patience.

Y2kc

yoslate, you nailed it. The 150 sounded great but the 58 and 60 were magic. You wouldn't think it would be that difficult to reproduce that tone. I guess there must be something in the 50 plus years that the wood, copper and magnets had to age.

An entertaining vid.. great fun and great guitars. ( if they'd had one of my 150's , they would have nailed the burst tone, of course.. :icon_salut: )

It brings up questions of all of the pickups we'd like to see compared in that test.... but all the guitars sounded great in his hands.

those WCR's sound like they'e potted actually, unlike a PAF which would explain the difference? they don't have the open airy character of the '58 & '60

Yoslate you have better ears than I do, I would defer to your opinion anyday! :D

good news though....looks like they're not done with the H150:

"We're thinking the same thing and are planning on rotating pickups in that Heritage and bring back the 58 and 60 to hear what happens. The Heritage is a great vehicle for comparison because it's very "Gibson", plays and sounds great and is affordable. Jim at WCR never called the Crossroads a PAF but I just loved the way they sounded in that guitar which got the whole thing going. Stay tuned for more soon."

what a great idea these guys have, looking forward to more juicy goodness!!

"Our next video is coming very soon comparing old and new Les Paul Specials and then on to Juniors and then Customs. Firebirds are on the docket too as well as lots of fun stuff. Thanks for watching and stay tuned."

hmm I can't get rid of those funky chars...oh well

I hope they make more vids. I subsribed hoping they will.

I dont think my H150 with seths is as dark or compressed sounding as the one in the vid though I can make it quite dark sounding.

But I also dont know if it would rate alongside the other two as far as....what ever.

Ive never consciously bought a guitar with that sound in mind.

Cool video.. The sweet tone and sustain from the 58 was awesome. I thought the H150 w WCR sounded good but maybe a little darker and not as defined in the lower register but pretty good in the upper register..Doug can play for sure so they all sounded great to my old ears..

Fun video - thanks for posting. He may have given a clue in the "this 150 plays good and sounds good acoustically, but it never sounded good electrically until I put these WCRs in it". A 'special' guitar perhaps sounds good with any pickups, great with the right pickups... likewise an 'okay' guitar sounds good with the right matched pickups in it? Maybe?

Anyway, fine player he is for sure. I'd go out to see Geezer or his other bands...

• 1 year later...

Saw this vid tonight, saw it had been discussed here a whole back.. Fun stuff.

For those that didn't see it first time around, here's a bump. From 2012, a thread that now gets a BUMP

I hope they make more vids. I subsribed hoping they will.

I dont think my H150 with seths is as dark or compressed sounding as the one in the vid though I can make it quite dark sounding.

But I also dont know if it would rate alongside the other two as far as....what ever.

Ive never consciously bought a guitar with that sound in mind.

My H150 has 59's not seth's. I didnt know this in November 2012.

Im just wondering if our choices in p/up preference in this vid would change if they moved the mic 1 or 2inches in any direction or if they used a different mic.

What guitar did they use to set up the mic position?

I know, splitting hairs. :)

• 3 weeks later...

You will find in one of their recent pickup videos that a certain youtuber (me) brought to their attention that some of the Heritage guitars from the early 2000s came with 250k alpha pots. The guitar sounds right tasty with 500ks.

ah, I saw that...very astute!!

Archived