Heritage Owners Club

The Buffalo has returned.

After about 15 years of being without it, I have finally gotten another Peavey 5150. The only difference, and this isn't really a difference, is that it is the block letter model instead of the signature. Definitely well loved up but runs like a champ and it has been tech'ed recently which involced replacing and burning in the new caps.

This is an early birthday present.

The cab I have on layaway and I just gotta get my lazy self up there to get it. haha. I don't owe much on it.

5150Head_zpsef3d40bb.jpg

IMAG0105_zpsee90cdb3.jpg

I got them for reasonably prices for the local market for their condition. So.. I am stoked. More importantly, it just roars.

What is more surprising is, for the tone I like from the 5150, the Cube's model of the 5150 is reasonably close. So close that I plan to use it as a back up to the 5150 should I need to.

Very nice amp. Loud as hell too. Under appreciated rig. Congrats.

They can be loud as all get out for sure.

Funny thing is, I have rarely ever had this thing over 3. In a jam setting with a rock/metal drummer, that really is about all you need. Far from overdriving those 6L6's which, here, is what I want. What is weird is, this amp is still very much the workhorse amp of the high gain world. It seems to have a ton of respect... but it doesn't show up at all in the used values... which I am happy for! haha.

I've seen the 2x12 combo around here for $500 or so. Great amp, but too much amp for me...

That's better than the going rates around here really. The combos tend to go for $600 and up. The heads seem to hold around $500 to $700 regardless of condition so long as they work. The cabs on the other hand... run from $200 to $300.

Definitely gotta get the amps that work best for you. The JC120/5150/Cube 80x/MicroCube is just everything I could want.

I think the combos are 60 watters if I am not mistaken. A duet of 6L6's instead of the quartet.

When Elliot Easton (original Cars guitarist) was touring with Creedence Clearwater Revisted he played

through a 5150 and got GREAT tone!

I have found that for just about anything just above clean gain wise that the 5150 is just voiced perfect for my ears. May not be everyone's cup of tea for sure but man, oh man, does it work for me.

Are you using an attenuator on this thing?

Nope. No need. Still sounds good at even bedroom levels. When I say bedroom, remember that I have kids and all. So, I truly mean bedroom level in the family man sense. Now, it takes up quite a bit of real estate in the corner.... but then... so does my JC120. haha. My gear corner is getting bigger. :)

Nope. No need. Still sounds good at even bedroom levels. When I say bedroom, remember that I have kids and all. So, I truly mean bedroom level in the family man sense. Now, it takes up quite a bit of real estate in the corner.... but then... so does my JC120. haha. My gear corner is getting bigger. :)

Trust me, I know exactly what you mean... I have two kids almost 9 and 14...

The first time I tried one I thought it was the most terrible thing I had heard.

After having gotten more use to higher gain amps, both hearing and using, I think it is actually a pretty cool amp. Congrats.

The first time I tried one I thought it was the most terrible thing I had heard.

After having gotten more use to higher gain amps, both hearing and using, I think it is actually a pretty cool amp. Congrats.

I can definitely see how it would be annoying if you really didn't get into the high gain thing. But for those of us (me) who grew up with high gain in music, this is just a top notch amp. Now, there is the 5150II which I am not at all fond of. Very buzzy and annoying to me. The regular old 5150 (or 6505 if you want a new amp) is quite a bit different. Has less preamp tubes and two inputs one of which effectively cuts another one of the preamp tubes. Much smoother sound to me. Just never got into the buzzy gain thing. That is why I couldn't stand Marshall for so long. Then the JCM2000 DSL came out and that had a much smoother sounding gain.

The gain settings I use are:

Normal Input (this is the one that takes a tube out), Lead Channel, Pregain on 4 and Post gain pretty low but to suit the sound level needed.

I'd say the reasons I went with getting the 5150 again went beyond just how it sounds.

They tend to be very, very, very reliable amps. Just tanks. They are to the tube guitar amp world what Ampeg is to the bass amp world. Tough as nails.

They are very affordable on the used market.

Throw that on that it is my favorite high gain sound, and it really is just a no brainer in my case.

i used to have a 5150 combo....great amp!!

congrats!

I find this is one of the most underrated amp ever. I do not understand one thing: they are manufactured by Fender. Why doesn't Fender do the marketing of these amps? Are there any queries with Eddy himself because of the licensing issues?

I find this is one of the most underrated amp ever. I do not understand one thing: they are manufactured by Fender. Why doesn't Fender do the marketing of these amps? Are there any queries with Eddy himself because of the licensing issues?

The one I have was made by Peavey in 1993. The EVH III is the first model under Fender and they are made in Vietnam. The 5150 (still made as the 6505 model) and 5150II (still made as the 6505+ model) were made by Peavey in the US. Can't speak to their marketing and support.

Archived