Heritage Owners Club

Call from Marv today!

Spectrum13

post-408-0-26999900-1376518750_thumb.jpg

I picked out this wood August 2nd. Marv called to tell be the body is built and I need to order the pickups and hardware.

H147 Tuxedo with pickguard.

Belly cut, Korina body & neck. 1 5/8" thick. Shorter and narrower than a 157 and we picked the lighest Korina in the house. Should be light. Staple neck and Throbak P90 bridge. Combo Tailpiece.

Left my 150 so Marv can get close to the perfect neck carve.

Makes a lot of sense to order a guitar at PSP VI. Third custom build so it's gets easier the more they know you, the greater chance of gettting what you want built.

I picked out this wood August 2nd. Marv called to tell be the body is built and I need to order the pickups and hardware.

H147 Tuxedo with pickguard.

Belly cut, Korina body & neck. 1 5/8" thick. Shorter and narrower than a 157 and we picked the lighest Korina in the house. Should be light. Staple neck and Throbak P90 bridge. Combo Tailpiece.

Left my 150 so Marv can get close to the perfect neck carve.

Makes a lot of sense to order a guitar at PSP VI. Third custom build so it's gets easier the more they know you, the greater chance of gettting what you want built.

post-408-0-26999900-1376518750.jpg

Interesting ... by combo bridge do you mean a wrap around intonate-able bridge ?

Guys, sorry don't see a H-147 model listed on the Heritage website. What is a 147????

Thanks.

The 147 was to the 140 as the 157 is to the 150, if that makes sense. Double bound body, ebony board, block inlays, bound and inlaid mop headstock.

Or another way to look at it .... a 147 would be a smaller, thinner bodied 157.

Haven't been any made in sometime, as far as I'm aware, but it looks like a few are in the works at the moment.

post-408-0-26999900-1376518750.jpg

Interesting ... by combo bridge do you mean a wrap around intonate-able bridge ?

Yes, shorter & narrower body so intonate-able wrap bridge should balance well.

51 Les Paul prototype meets 53 Goldtop meets 54 Black Beauty. Lighter and thinner. Korina works real good with P90s. Marv said they never did a 140 with P90s and I doubt they ever put a staple in anything at 225 Parsons Street since 1957.

I think it would be a good build so I pulled the trigger. More of what I got with my Korina 137. Would Heritage build it if they did not think it would work? Don't think so. Only one way to find out.

I've posted before about my desire for a Heritage take on the '54-56 Black Beauty. Did you use a Thorn staple P90? Any issues with getting them to install it (dimensions, wiring, etc)?

Love the idea! You have good taste. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, shorter & narrower body so intonate-able wrap bridge should balance well.

51 Les Paul prototype meets 53 Goldtop meets 54 Black Beauty. Lighter and thinner. Korina works real good with P90s. Marv said they never did a 140 with P90s and I doubt they ever put a staple in anything at 225 Parsons Street since 1957.

I think it would be a good build so I pulled the trigger. More of what I got with my Korina 137. Would Heritage build it if they did not think it would work? Don't think so. Only one way to find out.

Eagerly awaiting this custom build, sounds awesome :icon_thumright:

Dan...sounds like a very cool build! Wish I'd known you were cooking this up, at PSP, so I could have picked your brain. I'm considering a 157 LW P-90/480 build myself. Hadn't thought of Korina for weight relief, rather than the regular LW option. Interesting tone possibilities. Hope the build goes without a hitch! Do keep us posted!

Rob, what is a 480? Sorry we did not discuss my build plans and just concluded last years rant on Chris Froome. Not much brains here to pick.

My first choice is a Duncan Staple neck and Throbak P90 bridge. Jon suggested his "special SB with A4 mag" would be a good choice with the staple. Marv and Bill were not aware Throbak was making P90s. Dick C, Thron would be my second choice. Guess I wanted to vintage look.

I have to believe Marv knows each piece of wood in the plant. With black paint grain and flame was not an issue. He went to his stash of light weight lumber. He also knew he had three different Korina necks part made. One piece straight, (he said staight grain would be pretty stiff) a three piece with a small mahogany center strip and this one......

post-408-0-79581600-1376606123_thumb.jpg

Since it will be painted, I thought the maple center would work on this build. Is that a one piece curly collecting dust?

Rob, what is a 480?

Dan, "480" was the original nomenclature for the AlNiCo V "staple" pickup in the neck position of the early Customs. And for clarification, is the body to be one piece of korina, or will it have a cap, maple or otherwise? And it will be carved, as is usual for the 140-150 guitars, yes? Please keep us posted on the progress of what will be a really cool build! Thanks.

post-408-0-35311000-1376691439_thumb.jpg

Dan, "480" was the original nomenclature for the AlNiCo V "staple" pickup in the neck position of the early Customs. And for clarification, is the body to be one piece of korina, or will it have a cap, maple or otherwise? And it will be carved, as is usual for the 140-150 guitars, yes? Please keep us posted on the progress of what will be a really cool build! Thanks.

Ok 480 makes sense I doubt it would have been called it a staple. When Marv took me to the woodshed, the lighest Korina was in a one piece board not wide enough to make a 12 1/2 wide body. He cut it in half, matched the grain, placed a pencil line across the two boards so as to line them up and wrote my name on it. Finished as a black beauty flame, number of body sections and grain would not be visible. So, light was right. Yes, carved Maple cap. 1 5/8 total thickness. 1/4 shorter than a 150 12 1/2 inch bout rather than a 13". Three piece neck, korina outer and maple center. Ebony board. It's wait and see what kind of attack the wood combo generates wanted more snap than my 137.

post-408-0-35311000-1376691439_thumb.jpg

Archived