Heritage Owners Club

NGD: 1993 H535

TJIann

I posted this in the new member introduction post, but also wanted to post as an NGD. This weekend I picked up my first Heritage guitar in a local deal...a 1993 H535. I was looking to get an ES335 when I came across this beautiful almond burst Heritage for over a thousand bucks less than a comparable 335. I knew the story and positive feedback about Heritage guitars. Once I opened the case and picked this one up it was love at first strum man. Pictures below. The guy I bought it from told me it was a late 80s model with Duncan pickups. He was not really too knowledgeable, but year and PUPs didn't matter much to me when I saw this guitar. I dated it as a 1993 as it has the "J" serial number. I took her home and did a setup/string change, and pulled the PUPs to find that they are the original Schallers. I have been playing it through the setup you see in the pics below, but more through my 1964 Fender Princeton Reverb--a killer combination.

One thing I find curious about this guitar is that the body thickness is so thin. I've read in many of your posts that H535s have a thickness at the rim of 1 5/8". This one is only 1 1/2" thick at the rim. Is that just normal variation from the Heritage shop, or were the earlier versions thinner? Anyway, I can't say enough great things about this guitar (including the sound of the Schaller PUPs--not sure I need to replace those). One last curiousity....the pick guard middle screw is screwed right into the body as opposed to being attached to a bracket like most others. Is this a common thing to do?

Thanks.

IMG_20130914_141819_900_zps30601287.jpg

IMG_20130914_141705_182_zps26866d2a.jpg

Beautiful 535, welcome to the fray.

While I wouldn't call it "common", I've seen several 535's and 555's with the pickguard screwed to the top.

Marshall Head and a PRS cab?

Yes, a modded 1987x (to have the Duane Allman 68 superbass circuit) and PRS paisley 2x12 with V30s. :)

Guest HRB853370

That is such a beautiful guitar. Classic look for a Heritage, too. As for thickness .... they all vary a bit, since they are all handmade. So ... what are you looking at for your next Heritage? . :laughing7:

My 2004 555 is 1 5/8. That is interesting to note because they use a pattern, even though they are handmade. How can the pattern very by 1/8"?

My 2004 555 is 1 5/8. That is interesting to note because they use a pattern, even though they are handmade. How can the pattern very by 1/8"?

I started searching for information on the body thickness last night and it seems that Heritage used to list the body thickness at the rim as 1 1/5" and then at some point they changed to 1 5/8". So, I guess it was a formal change they made in manufacturing of this model at some point in the 90s. Maybe I will email them today and ask.

I started searching for information on the body thickness last night and it seems that Heritage used to list the body thickness at the rim as 1 1/5" and then at some point they changed to 1 5/8". So, I guess it was a formal change they made in manufacturing of this model at some point in the 90s. Maybe I will email them today and ask.

Yeah, you can email. Just don't expect an answer. :icon_sunny: Ren answers the email and thats spotty at best. Always best to call them, and early in the morning Mon - Thur if you really want to speak to someone.

That's a typo....I meant 1 1/2" (not 1 1/5"). Apologies.

Congratulations on a guitar for all seasons.

Looking at the pickups, I would think they are the schaller Golden 50s, which were standard at the time. The 4 hole mounting rings indicates that, and also the covers look to be chrome, and not nickel like duncans would be.

Anyway, not sure what's going on with the pick guard, but if it looks fine, i'd just stick with it the way it is. I've got a 1998 H535 with schallers and I love the thing. Such a classic guitar and classic look.

Nice!

I have a '92 535 almost identical except the pickguard, and it's not screwed into the top. I bought it new at Chuck's in Wheaton, did you buy it in Maryland?

I bought it locally from a guy who had it listed on Ebay. We met up and cut a local deal instead.

Looking at the pickups, I would think they are the schaller Golden 50s, which were standard at the time. The 4 hole mounting rings indicates that, and also the covers look to be chrome, and not nickel like duncans would be.

Anyway, not sure what's going on with the pick guard, but if it looks fine, i'd just stick with it the way it is. I've got a 1998 H535 with schallers and I love the thing. Such a classic guitar and classic look.

They are the Schaller pickups. I really like them.

Archived