Heritage Owners Club

My Snark is in a snit...anyone use a PolyTune?

LK155

Snark turns on but only works about 10% of the time. Sounds like some programmers that used to work for me. Well, it wasn't very expensive to begin with, and it has lasted a year.

(Yes, I have tried a new battery but it still works only when it wants to.)

If you use a PolyTune, is it an original or a '2' (the one with strobe tuning--what's that about anyway)?

Worth the money?

I think I'm nearing a dozen Snarks. I include one or two in my cart each time I buy strings. Have them on flat surfaces around the house, in the gig bags, in the pedal board bag... yet still I'll show up somewhere without one (thank goodness my ears are attached so usually with me). I've broken 2, the three little tabs around the pivot ball break when it wants to go flat under pressure (any of the bags do this to them). And I carry spare batteries - seems the battery life between them is a bit inconsistent. Sometimes they last a long time, sometimes they don't (almond joy).

So now that I've taken these seconds from your life, I've added absolutely nothing to your question on Polytunes...

As pedals go....if I didn't already have a boss, I think based on price and reputation, I'd probably end up with a Polytune as well. Seem like a great value. TC electronics seems to make a habit of that.

The snarks work, and are cheap, and for this reason we've tolerated them despite the issues you've raised, which I too have experienced. There is a new game in town at that price point, however, that in my experience, does not have the breakabililty and erratic power issues of the snark. Gio called it out elsewhere. These things should simply be in every guitar case and gig bag in existance, IMHO.

you can get em for $12

imagesqtbnANd9GcR-H-2OYEDJnk8GzjsRsbQ8vD

imagesqtbnANd9GcS1FG_-XlBU26QmS99eMsQ_Mo

a comparison

Tuners.jpg

I was in a fairly highly regarded guitar shop, locally, and the sales guys were trying to tell me snark's were the best clipon tuners....I was skeptical, it looked like a POS ( not to mention something you'd see hanging on the wall in a sex shop )

I'm glad I didnt' fall for his BS

over time I have noticed they conveniently praise the qualities of anything they they sell, exlusively, to the detriment of anything they don't sell.

sales-101, I guess...but you'd think they would admit when other manfacturers also make a good product.

FYI my two intellitouch PT-10 clipon tuners are still going strong after 3+ years...1 battery change in the oldest so far

Despite the fact that I started that thread, my problem with the clip-on tuner was my fault, in that I accidentally changed the value of A (which I've changed and now, it's fine). I've had 3-4 intellitouch PT10 clip on tuners and they have been great - I've been told they're the best ones out there, of the clip-on variety.

I can't speak to Polytune, either. I also have a Korg Pitchblack on the board, which also works pretty well.

Good luck in your quest, and let us know what you end up with Lyle.

If you had one of these you wouldn't need a clip on. You're just too old school.

firebirdx.jpggibson-firebird-x.jpg

If I had one of those I wouldn't need a tuner, an amp or a band. 'Cause I sure as *&% wouldn't be playing it out anywhere. Wow, that is ugly.

Snarks are like 8 or 9 bucks on Amazon. And Sony batteries (2032s) can be bought there in strips of 20 for $8..not bad. Had one snark die after a few years. Those parts that break..the ball joint..get a small wire tie, wrap it tight around the ball area, cut the end then put some contact cement or glue over the tie, have one like that for a long time now.

Like the man said..... .02cent accuracy. Only one step behind the Peterson. True bypass, and it mutes your signal while you tune. Supports alternate tuning etc.

st2-proto2a.jpg

I have a polytune and like it, but I will be picking up one of these soon. The Polytune works fine, the poly function doesn't track that well, it's fine for locating the problem string in a hurry then I just tune normally after that. If I were you I'd probably go with a Turbo Tuner, more accurate and the poly function of the Polytune just really isn't that importantant.

Oh and I've heard that the Turbo Tuner tracks much faster than the Peterson.

Snark turns on but only works about 10% of the time.

Gear Queer. Don't feel bad, I have rarely seen a camera bag that I don't like......

Guest HRB853370

I had the Intellitune pt 10 but I hated the wimpy clip that it had, it would not stay securely on the headstock like a Snark does. You guys are hard on your Snarks, mine has not broken or lost battery power yet. Who had that monster sized tuner on the forum a month or so ago? That sounds like the ticket!

So what are some higher quality headstock tuners that don't break the bank? Although with my 3 Snarks I should be good for a long time.

the intellitouch PT10

you can thank me later

Guest HRB853370

the intellitouch PT10

you can thank me later

Had one, sold it. The clip does not fasten securely to the headstock. That and the display has these arrows right and left that are difficult to zero in on. Mine was LCD also and not LED. Perhaps mine was an older outdated model. I bought it in the 90's.

Had one, sold it. The clip does not fasten securely to the headstock. That and the display has these arrows right and left that are difficult to zero in on. Mine was LCD also and not LED. Perhaps mine was an older outdated model. I bought it in the 90's.

There you go. Should've just started with the last sentence first. ;)

Had snarks and PW's and what ever else they give away in show bags.

Theyre all samey. Pros and cons in all of them from what I can see. There are a lot to choose from at a certain price point. Each one more amazing than the next and each with more considered design features than the last one.(same crap different bucket)

I hate selling tuners that are so cheap. Just buy one. If it lasts a year youve done great. $12-15 is what you are agonizing over.

They arent designed and built for a lifetime. At that price they are a disposable item. They cost less than a few dollars to make.

Just pick one and run with it. When it breaks get something different and so on and so forth.

Or you could splash out and spend $39 for a good one and still not be happy if it broke because the design wasnt robust enough.

Metronomes, I hate selling cheap digital metronomes as well. Theyre not rocket science. They go tick tick tick at the tempo you set. They all do that. Theyre less than $19. If you dont drop it it will still be going tick tick tick at what ever tempo you set in 5 or 10yrs.

and strings...oh man....I dont care.

How do you decide what to put in your sandwiches for lunch at work? My god that must be a whole string of agonizing decisions for you and its still only early morning.

Thanks for the vent. How was your day? :)

Not directed at anyone here btw.

Honestly, in the dark ages I delt with pitch pipes, tuning forks, asking a keyboard player to hit a note and tune to that or tuning to another guitar or bass player etc (and I'm far from being blessed with perfect pitch). Any little digital tuning device that can clip on my guitar is a wondrous thing. And if it only costs $8.95 so much the better.

Archived