Heritage Owners Club

Mystery FENDER

brentrocks

I'm guessing by the silverface grillcloth that it's a '68 Bandmaster Reverb head. Does the head cabinet look like it's been cut down? I see corner protectors on it. Does it have a cut out on the bottom with metal slides for cabinet mounting?

Disclaimer: I'm a long way from being a Fender amp expert, so take these comments in that context.

Possibly not a Deluxe Reverb if it's got 6L6's in it. They were 6V6 amps.

That one's got 7 pots on channel 2 and I don't know what the extra one would be. My Vibrolux Reverb has only 6: Volume, treble, bass, reverb. trem speed, intensity.

Perhaps somebody added a master volume? And the fact that you had reverb while plugged into channel 1 seems to indicate some mods there.

Likely if you were to post a couple of gut shots of the wiring one of the HOC amp gurus could identify the beast.

Whatever it is, it certainly sounds great.

I'm guessing by the silverface grillcloth that it's a '68 Bandmaster Reverb head. Does the head cabinet look like it's been cut down? I see corner protectors on it. Does it have a cut out on the bottom with metal slides for cabinet mounting?

It looks like The Amp Whisperer is right again! It sure looks like this beast that is sitting down the road at Monster Pawn.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PICKUP-ONLY-Vintage-1969-Fender-Bandmaster-Reverb-Guitar-Head-2x12-Cabinet-/321294786430?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4acea95f7e

I had this mod done to my DRRI to put reverb on both channels. I don't know schematics from a hole in the ground, so I don't know if this makes any sense for this PTP amp, but It's obviously been done to this amp, too. Great job, Brent, it sounded awesome!

The Fritz Mod:

http://www.fenderforum.com/userphotos/index.html?recid=48201

Guest HRB853370

It looks like The Amp Whisperer is right again! It sure looks like this beast that is sitting down the road at Monster Pawn.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PICKUP-ONLY-Vintage-1969-Fender-Bandmaster-Reverb-Guitar-Head-2x12-Cabinet-/321294786430?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4acea95f7e

I had this mod done to my DRRI to put reverb on both channels. I don't know schematics from a hole in the ground, so I don't know if this makes any sense for this PTP amp, but It's obviously been done to this amp, too. Great job, Brent, it sounded awesome!

The Fritz Mod:

http://www.fenderforum.com/userphotos/index.html?recid=48201

I kind of like having a normal channel and a vibrato channel. Gives me choices. I use the normal channel when plugging FX boxes into the amp.

I kind of like having a normal channel and a vibrato channel. Gives me choices. I use the normal channel when plugging FX boxes into the amp.

It does give more options than just reverb on both channels. Here's what he says in the link you may have missed...

This mod gives the reverb and vibrato to both channels. The normal channel now sounds very much like the vibrato channel with the bright cap clipped. They are now in phase, have similar gain, and may be bootstrapped (jumpered) together with a patch cord, which now works fine at any volume and gives a satisfying OD tone and some more volume.

That said, I currently don't use the normal channel at all now, as I pulled the first 12AX7 per Rockabilly's advice to make the Vibrato channel break up sooner. Very easy to put back in when I want, then I can use both channels again. BTW, I've used the Vibrato channel with pedals, and not had any problems. I just turn the Reverb all the way down.

Yup, sure looks to be a silverface Bandmaster that got hacked up a bit. First time I've seen one "blackfaced" by removing the silver faceplate and painting the exposed chassis black! LOL! Sure sounds a lot better than it looks.

Guest HRB853370

It does give more options than just reverb on both channels. Here's what he says in the link you may have missed...

This mod gives the reverb and vibrato to both channels. The normal channel now sounds very much like the vibrato channel with the bright cap clipped. They are now in phase, have similar gain, and may be bootstrapped (jumpered) together with a patch cord, which now works fine at any volume and gives a satisfying OD tone and some more volume.

That said, I currently don't use the normal channel at all now, as I pulled the first 12AX7 per Rockabilly's advice to make the Vibrato channel break up sooner. Very easy to put back in when I want, then I can use both channels again. BTW, I've used the Vibrato channel with pedals, and not had any problems. I just turn the Reverb all the way down.

Can you do the jumper thing between channels without the mod?

"picked it up from a customer of mine. An older lady...." Just a Gigilo and everywhere Brent goes... I laughed my ass off when you said "I'm gonna plug this Lollar loaded 137 in and that's pretty much gonna equal tone heaven." I gotta drops the girls off at school around 8 but me and my $300 should be in the K-zoo area shortly after 10am to pick this up!!!! SEE YA SOON :)

Archived