Heritage Owners Club

New H150 Day

DavesNotHere

Well, she has finally arrived! And, she's a H-150, a good ol', plain ol' H-150. I wasn't sure what Marv was going to Christen her as I just gave them my specs and didn't order a specific model.

This latest saga started in early June of last year when I drove to Kalamazoo with my boys to pick up my H-357. Marv, Jim and I were walking around the shop and before I knew it I was picking out a top, and a neck and a back and "Oh S**t I did it again" Old age and treachery will always over come youth and skills. :)

She arrived yesterday afternoon. But I didn’t open the case until around 22:00 last night.

It was a bit on the chilly side here yesterday, mid to lower 40s, and since she had come all the way from the Great White North, I erred on the side of caution and let her get accustomed to the sunny southern weather (not)

I tuned 'er up and let 'er rip for about 3 minutes before the kids came running in yelling for me to stop because "Dad, tomorrow is a school day and you are keeping us awake!!!!" And, " you suck" was implied.

So, I took a couple of (really bad) pictures and went to bed.

She feels really good, like I’ve had her for years.

I think the belly cut is what did that. I was really hoping it would, because the other LP type guitars I've played just didn’t feel..... all the way right.

Anyway the flash pics are lousy. I’ll have to take some outside on the next sunny day to really show off the finish.

I didn’t ask for a pickguard, but they put one in the case. It’s bound ebony. But, I don’t think it looks very good on this guitar so I won't be installing it any time soon.

The neck is nice and big, not as big as my 357, but really nice and not skinny at all. No siree Bob, not skinny at all.

It has Seth Lover pups, ebony fretboard, series/parallel push-pull tone knobs, bound head stock, MOP Heritage logo.

With a one piece top, one piece back, five piece neck, and standard Heritage hardware, she weighs in at exactly 9lbs on my dubiously calibrated bathroom scale.

I’ll actually get to play it tonight. No basketball, no swimming, no soccer, no nothing…..

Regular readers of my column..ahem..are probably tired of seeing the inprocess shots, but here they are again only this time the final product has finally made it home.

DSCF4334_zps34848e5b.jpg

DSCF4331_zps9b20f0e1.jpg

DSCF4328_zps73a164e2.jpg

20130925_104535_zpsd0a565f6.jpg

Daveguitar3_zpscadd44f9.jpeg

image4_zps750141ab.jpeg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Dave, she came out great. I love the finish. I found these photo in my laptop from last years PSP, I don't know if I sent them to you or not. I took them of you and Marv picking out your wood.

GEDC0022_zpsfaf13072.jpg

GEDC0021_zpsca44ffe7.jpg

I haven't seen those shots Bill. They are awesome (at least to me).

Two good ol' Huntsville boys fixin' to build a geetar.

I had actually picked out the top back in June and I was trying to determine which side should be the top. I was thinking "This is side is the top" and Jim came came by and said " No, the other side is the top

I said "But this side has more flame and grain and is more interisting than that side"

Jim replied, paraphrasing "Think about it, if we put the pretty side up we will be cutting away all the detail that you want and we'll be getting closer to the "plain" side. If we put the plain side up, we'll be cutting the plain wood off to reveal the figured wood underneath"

That was a revalation to me, so simple in retrospect, but 50 years of experience exchanged in two minutes.

1 piece top and back, maple neck, ebony board; stunning! That will perform a cunning array of stunts, and may I be the first to say - nice snatch. :)

That looks fantastic, Dave, congratulations! So, how many boys do you have? Three, I think. And how many custom builds have you done? Two? Hmmm, I think this is an excellent time to put some specs together for the next one, you know, just so the boys will all have something to remember dear-old-Dad by. At least that's how I'd pitch it to the wife..... :laughing7: Enjoy that baby!

Archived