Heritage Owners Club

Need a Louder cheap Amp..

smurph1

My country band doesn't want to mic my Princeton.. We are using the PA for vocals only.. I found a used Line 6 with plenty of guts for only $299 out the door.. It has a four button footswitch included.. I'm probably going to get it so I won't have to use the other guitar players amp anymore.. I'm just worried about breaking it..

Would the Princeton push my 2x12 Bassman cab? It's only 12 watts!! Maybe I will use the Bassman instead.. It's plenty loud!! Hmm.. :icon_sunny:

I play a 15w amp on probably 3 or 4 (no real dial, just guessing about 1/3 off "0"). And I can keep up with our drummer most times. Well, I could actually out do the drummer if I cranked it a bit. Altho' a nice 2x12 cab would certainly make the sound bigger, tho' not necessarily louder. Just remember, the Line 6 is SS and will fade into the background ......... :laughing7: Just to be clear, I'm laughing at myself, as I have used one and it was fine.

BTW, that vocals only in the PA is a load of BS if you have a decent PA. You'll eventually play a venue where you need to mic the amps, too. What then? Mic everything, keep your stage volume under control Well, my opinion anyway.

Would the Princeton push my 2x12 Bassman cab? It's only 12 watts!! Maybe I will use the Bassman instead.. It's plenty loud!! Hmm.. :icon_sunny:

Oh yes! I've seen a 5 watt amp push a 4x10 cab!

BTW, that vocals only in the PA is a load of BS if you have a decent PA. You'll eventually play a venue where you need to mic the amps, too. What then? Mic everything, keep your stage volume under control Well, my opinion anyway.

Amen brother.

I got by for years on a truly crappy rudimentary PA, one channel on the amp burned out, 57's and 58's. Your board could care less what the input source is. Each strip has its own volume slider/knob for a reason.

1st, I have not seen a vocals only P.A. since the late 70's. Unless your are play to a room of less the 50 people, you just can't get a good mix. I have seen solo acts in a small room that mic the guitar amp. From the videos and photos I have seen, Daniel Weldon sticks a mic in front of everything.The band I play with mics guitar, bass, kick drum, and two overhead drum mics with the vocals at a minimum. We do this in order to get a good consistent mix throughout the entire room. So I think you should revisit the whole vocals only in the P.A. thing with your band.

2nd having just found out about the joys of a old Fender Princeton, I don't think you will me happy with any other non fender-tube amp. I have run mine through a Marshall 2 X 12, and yes it is louder, but it loses some of the sweat Princeton sound. If you have to get louder go with the Bassman.

I tried line 6 some time ago and had no end of trouble--I'm sure there are differing opinions though. This was a smaller SS amp. I found the effects challenging to work with. The amp itself was ok, but really didn't excel in any area. I sold it for a VOX SS vt50 Valvetronix that is light years louder clearer, and has much better effects. It is SS and sounds it, but it has a nice all around sound and covers a lot of genres & territory at the flip of a chicken head switch.

One of the reasons I mic everything is because I've spent alot of time learning how to record. And very

rarely does anything record well at real loud volumes. I think every cabinet it my sound represents

something I'm going for so that's why I mic everything at the big shows. But in little shows I very

rarely have a mic on anything, I just use the approproate wattage and cabinets for the show.

Hey, you've already got the cabinet. Plug it up and see if you suits you. The 2x12 should sound a lot beefier than a single 10, but it should also make for more sound. You'll definitely move more air.

There's a reason all those Marshall stacks with 8 12s were hooked up, instead of just using a single 100 watt 12 inch speaker!

My country band doesn't want to mic my Princeton.. We are using the PA for vocals only.. I found a used Line 6 with plenty of guts for only $299 out the door.. It has a four button footswitch included.. I'm probably going to get it so I won't have to use the other guitar players amp anymore.. I'm just worried about breaking it..

You are much more polite than I would have been in that situation.

I would have been inclined to just show up to the gig with my 100 watt Carvin/Marshall stack.

(See attached.)

post-679-0-79881100-1392076897_thumb.jpg

Guest HRB853370

You are much more polite than I would have been in that situation.

I would have been inclined to just show up to the gig with my 100 watt Carvin/Marshall stack.

(See attached.)

And play power chords, right?

Guest HRB853370

I tried line 6 some time ago and had no end of trouble--I'm sure there are differing opinions though. This was a smaller SS amp. I found the effects challenging to work with. The amp itself was ok, but really didn't excel in any area. I sold it for a VOX SS vt50 Valvetronix that is light years louder clearer, and has much better effects. It is SS and sounds it, but it has a nice all around sound and covers a lot of genres & territory at the flip of a chicken head switch.

Line 7 is improved on!!

smurf, you still have the Bassman head? That, with a good reverb pedal, and a 1x12 cab should be more than enough, and very portable. Hard to believe the Princeton doesn't get it done...even unmic'd. How loud are you guys, anyway!? Daniel, Kenny, and Bill make a lot of good points!

Smurf1 - you're right. No band should be quiet enough for a princeton to be viable; get rid of it and get a real amp. Hangar 18 has a good point - get a full stack and crank it; make the other band members step up. Better yet, rent BigBob's Sound City so you can make the lead singer's ears bleed - I'm sure he'll only charge by the Watt per week. VHT makes a 240 Watt power amp with 8 EL-34s. That's what you need!

Remember the amp from Back to the Future? :)

Archived