Heritage Owners Club

Pleased with my changes

mars_hall

I took the H150CM Custom and swapped out the rings and placed my home-bulit pickguard on it. I had carved and stained the fiddleback maple pickguard several years ago but decided to apply the nitro coat and mount it on a guitar that was just calling for it, today.

DSC_5080a.jpg

Like it very much.

I put XL125s on it and it plays much better. I played it so much the last two days that the fingertips are actually sore. Liked it that much. Has a burstbucker in the bridge position and I am unsure about the neck, but is sounds nicely open with the high register like a PAF. I placed bone (plastic) tuner heads on the Grovers which now match the cream of the aged binding. I will eventually get around to adding a TP-6 fine-tuner tailpiece, but first things first. I swapped the tailpiece studs which had too wide a spread between the rims allowing the original tailpiece to sit cocked. When I apply the TP-6 I will go back to the wider spacing since TP-6s require this.

It may have had 11s on it when I got it, so the smaller gauge on the upper strings makes a big different.

Still need to set/check the intonation of the bridge.

It looks incredible and VERY nice job on your own custom pickguard. What wrong with the stoptail that is on it or do you just like the schaller fine tuners tailpiece?

What wrong with the stoptail that is on it or do you just like the schaller fine tuners tailpiece?

It is much much easier for me to quickly tune with the fine tuners. TP-6 is Gibson, there is never any overshooting the required tension, and wear on the head tuners is all but eliminated. Plus there is the extra mass and change in string cut angle. It's all good.

The pickguard wasn't that hard to do either. Carved it direct in the 1/8'' fiddleback stock using the stock Heritage pickguard as the template. Then sanded the corners and the overall inline profile into a slight V (narrow at the pups, wider at the bottom. Hit it with black dye, a slight sand to bring the grain out, and then hit it with several slight misting layers using a small part of a can of Reranch nitrocellulose I had left-over from another project. Let it cure in the direct sun and it was ready to go.

https://secure.thewoodwell.com/?p=content&cs=product_category&c=8

Very cool pick guard. Gorgeous guitar. Enviable skills. I'm jealous, three times over.

You know me, a sucker for red guitars. Esp. Translucent red. Gorgeous axe, like the pick guard look. Maybe we can get a side by side at PSP of twin trans-red Heritages..your 157 and my 155. Rock on!

Archived