Heritage Owners Club

Peavey Bandit 112?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have one. I like it alot. One of the best SS amps out there. Get the one with the red stripe on the front. They are the most sought after version.

I've seen there are several variations.... Which to I run from, which do I look for? I think I've seen the red striped model once or twice. I'll have to keep an eye out.

I haven't used a pure solid state amp in several years. What are some of the downside of owning/using an amp like this?

The teal striped ones were the best IMO. Although, it is my understanding that the later red stripe models were not all that different from the rest. I sold a teal striped Bandit 112 to schundog at last year's PSP. P.S.- You want to look for one that has the Scorpion speaker in it. They started using the Sheffield speaker in the early '90s. Never cared for that model myself.

I had one smaller than that in the 80's when I was High School age. I also played drums with a guitar player who had a 100 watt 2x12 combo. They got the job done that we needed them to do. (Early 80's)

It seemd like back then Peavey was the only name in amplifiers. But I'm sure my tastes and preferences in amplification have changed since then.

I have and use a Bandit 112 with Sheffield Speaker from the first "TransTube" generation. No red stripe, no teal stripe. Built like a tank, sounds fine (although the gain channel just seems harsh to me). Definitely can get loud, clean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Theres good ones and not so good ones?!?!?!?!?

I'm not sure if that was a question or a statement.

I'd look for one during the "transtube" era. The red stripped one has pretty much the same circuitry but an updated outside. The newest ones are all black with a different grill. Still sound the same IMO. I'd also stay away from the older ones because I've seen guys on the Peavey forum talking about them break down. Peavey's are as they say, "built like a tank", but all electronics go out at some point and I don't like getting them repaired.

And I do like the Schefield 1230 speakers. I guess everyone's ear is different.

I'm not sure if that was a question or a statement.

I'd look for one during the "transtube" era. The red stripped one has pretty much the same circuitry but an updated outside. The newest ones are all black with a different grill. Still sound the same IMO. I'd also stay away from the older ones because I've seen guys on the Peavey forum talking about them break down. Peavey's are as they say, "built like a tank", but all electronics go out at some point and I don't like getting them repaired.

And I do like the Schefield 1230 speakers. I guess everyone's ear is different.

It was surprised inquiry.

I didnt know the humble Peavey Bandit, while being a great amp for what it is, would generate a train spotting sort of discussion.

It was surprised inquiry.

I didnt know the humble Peavey Bandit, while being a great amp for what it is, would generate a train spotting sort of discussion.

CHOO-CHOO!!!!

That CL one looks good, Josh, as long as it checks out ok. A lot of them obviously have some scratchy pots/jacks at this point, but that's no big deal. That's the biggest ammo can, err, amp case I've seen for a Bandit. A bit of overkill, perhaps, but whatever. Good luck.

Bigger question... Does it cut through with a band?

Get a folding restaurant tray stand. Put the amp on that. If that doesn't "cut through with a band," I know a good audiologist....

If you can find one at $100 or less, don't even think twice. Buy the damn thing. Still worth it at up to $150. Loud and clean, indeed.

I really didn't need to follow my own advice. But this morning, the kid and I walked into Monster Pawn, and I saw this red stripe Bandit with $149.95 on the tag. Just to test my own theory, I asked one of the guys if they would take $100 out the door for it. I'l be damned if he didn't say OK. I wasn't going to be "That Guy" that asks for a super deal, and then doesn't follow through, so I handed them the money and threw the thing in the van. This is my second red stripe Bandit. The first one was a permanent fixture at my old church, where I mic-ed it backstage, and ran a pedalboard into it. I like this version, as it has modern and vintage voicings, presence control, dynamics control, and the effects loop/ speaker cabinet jack that they all have. This one has one ding in the tolex on the top, and as I was taking a picture of the speaker, I saw something on the speaker.... Turned out to be a beer cap, haha. Gotta love pawn shops. Here it is. Josh, if you haven't found one yet, you can have this one for $100, but I'm not bringing it up to PSP unless you commit to it. No offense, just how it is.

D24F70CC-A696-49C8-A96F-32FA2B61A39D_zps

3C0A881D-0C0E-4F76-8ABB-D7C051BCEAC9_zps

C8A487D2-8EAD-47A7-9611-8192A05D2C92_zps

2F4E64F3-4546-49FC-984D-18C86C381CAA_zps

AF38EAA6-E254-4601-A83A-406EC8DC7B00_zps

12F80AF6-C45D-47A7-904C-E1022CC649D0_zps

87A868C5-7107-471A-9061-97A4A1E17B35_zps

And the obligitory horrible ipad recording. Boss DD-3 added, nothing else. Clean, then Lead channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4n7oZ5Fgbk

I think you have to leave the beer cap on it. It modifies the impedance in the speaker voice coil by shunting some of the magnetic field. You might have to fiddle around with placement, but it can make a huge difference. Also, the iron content in the imported beer caps is lower than in domestic but they (imported beer caps) often have exotic impurities that can either really enhance the effect, or really screw it up. Try a couple of those Corona caps from a few different twelvers (check the batch codes on the bottom, so you know you're not getting caps from the same run).

I think you have to leave the beer cap on it. It modifies the impedance in the speaker voice coil by shunting some of the magnetic field. You might have to fiddle around with placement, but it can make a huge difference. Also, the iron content in the imported beer caps is lower than in domestic but they (imported beer caps) often have exotic impurities that can either really enhance the effect, or really screw it up. Try a couple of those Corona caps from a few different twelvers (check the batch codes on the bottom, so you know you're not getting caps from the same run).

:laughing4::laughing4::laughing4:

And I thought I was full of $hit......

Be aware that if you try a Canadian beer cap you'll only be getting 93.22% of the magnetic impedence shunting phenomenom as you might expect from a U.S. beer cap. And you'd better be prepared to measure the impact in kilometers per hour or litres per hundred kilometers. With beer caps from outside of North America, it's really a crapshoot as to what effect you'll get.

Archived