Heritage Owners Club

sweet 16 on the way

ironmike

welp! i went and done it,i just bought a 2010 sweet 16,tobacco burst,hrw humbucker routed in, and a six finger tailpiece.should be here in a few days, so now, i've a pretty nice heritage family, a maple 575 w/ shaller humers, a custom 575 spruce top/mahogany back and sides w/ seth lovers, a 1993 hc150, and now a sweet 16..hrw' .........i hope i live till i'm at least 136 years old..there is so much i want to play and so many people i want to play with!

post-20133-0-04680800-1423453859_thumb.jpg

very pretty. Mine is getting all the play right now, and I think of it as an acoustic guitar. Yours appears as an electric. looking forward to a tone report as compared to your 575s. Congratulations. Play her in good health.

Well done Mike. I've never understood having both the floater version and inset version flying under the same model banner. That's the sort of S16 that works for me and it's really the inspiration for my long scale H575 (although your S16 is much more formally attired :)).

well, don't know about the pickup. i was told it was a rare hrw. he could have used whatever case he had available to wind it, made in 2010, and i'm getting it from the original owner..was it rare to have an hrw in 2010? when did it stop being a regular option? either way, how bad could it be,i could drop a dream pickup if i had to.it is arriving tomorrow. original sold through wolf guitars.

you know jim, i've been playing for 45 years,when i was younger, i struggled with second rate guitars, and when i got older the guitars got better,but i still never found that right jazz sound i always wanted, the 335's,330's,old epi's,gut strings,575's all great sounds but not the cream i've been after for jazz. i write alot, and i write with my own styles, which holds the sounds of dozen different guitar sounds/styles ,kinda american/,, but that quintistial jazz tone i'm hoping i'll find in that sweet 16, i think i will after hearing your sound clouds,gonna be close.

it's an hrw alright, just single screw..super guitar..it came with d'aquisto flat wounds,good sound, bit stiff butt good, i might try the thomasics,,what strings do you all use on your sweet 16's?

post-20133-0-08854800-1423754835_thumb.jpg

I use D'Addario 12's, rounds. I used TI flat 12's for a long time; they were great but I just found the guitar opened up nicely with the rounds. I like a little 'gonk' in the low notes. Hard to believe I've had that guitar 13 years now.

I like the TI Jazz Bebops. Strong primary tone with nice overtones on the lower strings. Sort of harp like. Fair sustain (as appropriate for an archtop) and even volume across strings. I can get a 1/2 step bend on the third string without injury. They last forever and I seldom amplify it. Sounds more like a PB than nickle (I guess, I've never had PB on this guitar, but just an overall impression). I just ordered a fresh set after 6 months or so, and still had some sticker shock, but heck $4 a month for great strings? I got over it.

TI strings (BeBop and Geo. Benson) are my favorite, but they are expensive. They go on my Golden Eagle.

LaBella also makes fine flatwound strings at a much better price point. Sound great and last a long time. I tend to buy more of these than others and call them the poor man's Tomastic strings. :icon_smile:

D'Addario Chromes are my workhorse strings. They go on my laminate H-525. To me they sound great with P90's

• 3 weeks later...

I know what you mean. I have had a 575 for 20 years. Once, I actually put it up for sale - because I was temprarily insane but never actually parted with it.

Tomorrow, I am expecting a new arrivl, just lucky to be able to do it now, in time for our 40th wedding anniversary (the 575 was done for the 20th).

The Johnny Smith is just aout the same vintage as my 575. I hope there is no jealousy between them...

Rich

[quote name="richyankee" post="404918" timestamp="1425524851

The Johnny Smith is just aout the same vintage as my 575. I hope there is no jealousy between them...

Rich

I bet they will get along just fine!

well, i dressed out the fret profile to my liking, and strung te beebop 14 guage, 1/2 step flat on every string..this thing is a rolls royce...that.s all i can say, the pickup is clearly marked an hrw,

Archived