Heritage Owners Club

H 150 vs LP r7, r8, r9, r0

Vanschoyck

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, whatever you DIDN'T say because you deleted it, I'll bet you feel better typing it out, anyway! I know I have fired away with responses that I end up deleting, but I at least feel better for getting it out of my system. I make no apologies for the Troll comment, however.

I can confidently state that the fella representing a number of recent screennames including "sniffngrowl" is not responsible for the "uniqlo" postings.

Fair enough. Former or banned members returning always tell on themselves. It's just a matter of time. ;)

Don't know about the rest of y'all, but I like guitars. :)

Theyre alright. I like them. Theyre good things.

They hang out in groups, take all your money and make a lot of noise but theyre loveable roguish types and you forgive and forget with them so easily.

They breed and colonize large chunks of your house. Every once in a while you open a cupboard door and theres another one. But its ok, you're not gonna kick it out. You pick it up, sit down with it and get to know it. If it was something else you would lay baits and set traps or smack it on the head with a hammer before it poisoned you or ate your face.

Theyre alright.

you guys act like norlin was all bad

like the day that norlin turned into heritage it all changed

same people

same building

same tools

but wait

once the snakehead went on it was different

the market has spoken on the norlins now

go try to buy a spotlight or a 25/50

or an early deluxe

how about every journey tune what do you think neal schon was playing

hint maple neck

so if saying norlin is trolling

then i say its better to be trolling than stupid

you guys act like norlin was all bad

like the day that norlin turned into heritage it all changed

same people

same building

same tools

but wait

once the snakehead went on it was different

the market has spoken on the norlins now

go try to buy a spotlight or a 25/50

or an early deluxe

how about every journey tune what do you think neal schon was playing

hint maple neck

so if saying norlin is trolling

then i say its better to be trolling than stupid

A strat with a floyd :D

Troll????

"In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtrl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

Yep!!!!

You own 3, 2013 or 2014 HIstorics? If you are talking USA regular production Les Pauls I could understand. As a matter of fact I bought my Heritages because I was not happy with Gibson USA Les Pauls and I thought the H150 was a great alternative, and I still believe that.

But as for 9.5 out of 10 players not being able to them apart, that's not right, as I get together with many very good players regularly, and they have all picked my 1960 reissue over my H150s, and my R7 is better than my 1960. And not once have my Heritages been picked over my Historics, NOT ONCE! A few of those times people came over because they were interested in buying a new H150 and they heard I was getting into modding them, but not one person wound up buying an H150, just the opposite, they all have bought historics.

OK, so I just took delivery of a brand new 2014 R8 - am sitting here comparing it against my 2014 H150. Honestly? Beyond the neck carve (the R8 has slightly more shoulder) and the pickups (my H150 has SD 59s), there really isn't that much of a difference in tone or feel.

This R8 is a beautiful guitar - no doubt about it - and I like its tone more than my old R8 (which was a chambered 2011) - but the margins between it and the H150 are very, very slim. The both weigh about the same (8.5 lbs on the H150, 8.75 lbs on the R8), have long tenons, single piece mahogany backs and necks, etc. The H150 has nicer MOP inlays and a gloss finish with some flame on the curly maple cap, while the R8 is a plaintop VOS. I do prefer the R8's ABR1 to the H150's Nashville bridge, but I have been planning to swap that out for a Faber, anyway.

The pickups make for the biggest difference between the two, IMHO, followed by the neck carve.

They hang out in groups, take all your money and make a lot of noise but theyre loveable roguish types and you forgive and forget with them so easily.

They breed and colonize large chunks of your house. Every once in a while you open a cupboard door and theres another one. But its ok, you're not gonna kick it out. You pick it up, sit down with it and get to know it. If it was something else you would lay baits and set traps or smack it on the head with a hammer before it poisoned you or ate your face.

Theyre alright.

Insightful and funny. Give this man a biscuit! :)

Theyre alright.

Insightful and funny. Give this man a biscuit! :)

Jeff Rocks... As the late Stuart Scott used to say, "He's Cooler Than The Other Side Of The Pillow...."

Hello HOC

This thread is as good as any to post a hearty hail to all.

still playing my 3 Heritage guitars regularly; still enjoying every nuance of their fine craftsmanship.

2015 marks 40 years that I didn't have to borrow a guitar to play. I'm happier with what I have now than I have ever been previous.

Time to slink back to the Wisconsin hardwood and play.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff Rocks... As the late Stuart Scott used to say, "He's Cooler Than The Other Side Of The Pillow...."

+1

My wife thinks Im a dork. She has been right on the odd occasion. Been quite a few odd occasions.

But thanks anyway :)

When did Gibson start using Hide Glue on ANY of the historic reissues? I can't find much information at all regarding the use of hide glue, and even the recently announced special run reissues still have "Franklin Titebond" listed as the adhesive used. I heard that there was some kind of announcement from Gibson regarding hot hide glue, but I have not been able to find it. I found a bunch of forum threads talking about it, but not much hard information.

I did however find a very well thought out experiment involving differnt kinds of adhesives: http://mcknightguitars.com/glue-vib.html

When did Gibson start using Hide Glue on ANY of the historic reissues? I can't find much information at all regarding the use of hide glue, and even the recently announced special run reissues still have "Franklin Titebond" listed as the adhesive used. I heard that there was some kind of announcement from Gibson regarding hot hide glue, but I have not been able to find it. I found a bunch of forum threads talking about it, but not much hard information.

I did however find a very well thought out experiment involving differnt kinds of adhesives: http://mcknightguitars.com/glue-vib.html

I think in 2013....

"While the 1959 Les Paul Standard retained the classic ingredients of the breed—its solid mahogany body and carved maple top, both represented here in the 1959 Les Paul Standard Reissue—the guitar also evolved slightly from its specs of the previous year. Les Pauls made in 1959 also acquired a slightly thinner, though still comfortably rounded, neck profile, which many players consider the sweetest feeling neck shape of all time, along with a smaller neck heel. These are all represented with utmost accuracy in the 1959 Les Paul Standard Reissue, while the guitar also benefits from Gibson Custom’s 20th Anniversary Specifications, newly adopted for 2013. These include a one-piece rosewood fingerboard, Kluson™ Deluxe machine heads, hot-hide glue neck fit, a Historic Truss Rod assembly with no tubing, accurate body and fingerboard binding color, new Custom Buckers created in the image of the original PAFs, and period-correct Aniline dye offered in VOS and Gloss. "

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/1959-Les-Paul-Standard-VOS.aspx

I saw that, but if you click on "specs" and go to neck it says:

Species 1-piece Mahogany Neck with Long Neck Tenon

Profile Early '50s Rounded

Truss Rod Historic Truss Rod Assembly (No Tubing)

Joint Angle 4° (+/- 15 seconds)

Adhesive Franklin Titebond

Looks like someone at Gibson needs to proof read their website. I don't really want to split hairs, but the glue thing is already splitting hairs. You would think they would have enough time to properly proof read, unless they purposely left it that way so that if someone ends up getting a titebond glued neck, they can't go ape.

I saw that, but if you click on "specs" and go to neck it says:

Species 1-piece Mahogany Neck with Long Neck Tenon

Profile Early '50s Rounded

Truss Rod Historic Truss Rod Assembly (No Tubing)

Joint Angle 4° (+/- 15 seconds)

Adhesive Franklin Titebond

Looks like someone at Gibson needs to proof read their website.

It looks like perhaps Titebond is used for the fretboard.. but just below that..

Neck Fit

Joint Mortise & Tenon

Adhesive Hide Glue

Joint Angle Tolerance +/- .005"

Maybe they'll use hideglue on the board next year... new and improved !

that is quite the article on the glue comparison btw...

AHH! Now I see. I was looking in the wrong spot. And that article is NUTS. But I guess when you make custom guitars and have some time to kill, and the right equipment, you figure it would be good to make some kind of comparison regarding the pros and cons of different glue types.

I would recommend everyone read the article, which does a lot to explain the issues of working with hide glue, which has a very fast setup time.

AHH! Now I see. I was looking in the wrong spot. And that article is NUTS. But I guess when you make custom guitars and have some time to kill, and the right equipment, you figure it would be good to make some kind of comparison regarding the pros and cons of different glue types.

I would recommend everyone read the article, which does a lot to explain the issues of working with hide glue, which has a very fast setup time.

I wasn't going to post but I must counter here...
What do the most valuable and known for there tone, ie prewar Martin acoustics, prewar Gibson acoustics, and Bursts all have in common? Burst glue in the joints (although with Bursts the body to back joint may not be hide glue, but another organic glue heated and set with UV). For every David McKnight there's 20 more with an opposing view.
Some famous acoustic builders (took less than 5 minutes to research)....
Brackett Instruments
I'm an American guitar maker and I use (hot) Hide glue on every guitar I build. (even my Economy model)

I would like to see the results of an experiment with twenty identical guitars, ten built with hide glue and ten built with Titebond, and a panel of twenty experienced guitarists trying to guess which was which. Martin has already done this experiment for us. They used hide glue until the mid 1960s. D28's also changed from Brazilian Rosewood to Indian Rosewood but there's basically been no changes on D18's since the end of WWII. (They had a big rosewood bridgeplate for a while in the 70s but changed back to maple after a few years)

Which D18's are highly sought after? You can do your own experiment. Play some pre 1965 D18's, the play some newer ones.
Bruce Sexauer
My standard (hide glue), where applicable, for many years. The difference isn't all that subtle IMO.
Rick Turner
I now use it (hide glue) for all body joints in my acoustic guitars. It's great stuff, and the difficulty of working with it is greatly overstated. One of the reasons I like it for center seams on tops and backs is that it sands much better than typical PVA glues; it doesn't gum up my very expensive wide belt sander belts, and that makes HHG a money saver. It may sound better; it does hold up to heat better than PVA, and the glue lines simply disappear. There's no reason NOT to do many of the joints on an acoustic guitar with HHG.
CoffeeGuitar
i am of the school of thought that every little difference in guitar building adds up to make a big difference

i believe hide glue is certainly one of those little differences and that is why i prefer it to modern glues

Tim McKnight
I still use HHG for some joints but certainly not all joints. If you took a peak into many of our shops you might think we were alchemists ;)
Somogyi
Hide glue, on the other hand, achieves its results by molecular bonding. Titebond won't hold very well onto something it cannot penetrate, such as glass. But hide glue will. In fact, it'll hold on like a barnacle on a ship's hull. In the old days before sand blasting, glass was decorated by covering the to-be-textured-or-highlighted area with hide glue; once this dried the hide glue was chipped off with a chisel and a hammer -- and it would take some of the glass with it. The contrast between this newly chipped surface and the smooth original surface of the glass is how lettering and decoration in that medium used to be achieved! The really interesting part of this is that, molecular bonding aside, one can wash hide glue completely away without affecting the surface it has been applied to. Like campers, hikers, or guests with an ecological consciousness, hide glue can disappear without leaving any trace or litter behind it.<

Archived