Heritage Owners Club

NGD: Sorta, Kinda. Does it Count if I Owned It Before?!

schundog

I first bought this guitar at the First Annual Chicago Muster from Otto, (Number 8). He was joking with me towards the end of the evening that, since I had had so much fun playing MY 137 that night, I should probably own 2 of them. With the late hour, and a few craft beers in me, it seemed to make perfect sense, as I had brought cash to buy a 575 from a former HOC member who flaked on me. I didn't really need another 137, but Otto gave me an excellent deal, and I thought I knew of a friend of mine that it would be perfect for. I brought it home, played it a bit, and then DID sell it to that friend; except he decided it wasn't for him. He says he's really more of an amp and pedal whore than guitar whore, haha. I brought it to PSP last year to try to sell it for him, but had no takers. After I brought it back from that event, I played it every night until he came over and picked it up. I told him I had, and gave him a fresh pack of strings to make up for it. He laughed, and took it back home. With the reality being that we just don't know how much longer these wonderful handcrafted instruments will continue to be built, at least by the old guard, I decided to reacquire it, enjoy it, and possibly half-heartedly offer it up again at some point. I don't really NEED two, do I?!

IMG_3399_zpswkyytz7m.jpg

IMG_3384_zps51uaugow.jpg

IMG_3387_zps6noaoxqv.jpg

IMG_3391_zpsu4qyfhlq.jpg

IMG_3397_zpsje5xyf3a.jpg

IMG_3398_zpshdnz8ndf.jpg

Good for you, Brian. If you like the guitar makes sense to own it.

Yesterday jam and gig I brought the 137. Was a sunny day in the morn so snapped a couple pics. Guitar is fun to play - it's so LIGHT and has a nice sparkle. Another friend/guit player came out to last night's gig and came up after the first set saying 'I've a similar P90 guit, but it doesn't sound as nice as that one!' (funny, I see his wife posted on FB last night 'I've just lost my date to the guitar player... oh well, more pizza for me' :) She knows what we're like when we're talking gear.

The Kirn came along for the gig as well for a set. The 2 of them compliment each other well.

137%20sunny2_zpsxnunyrg4.jpg

Nice going Brian. Great pair you got their. Do you notice any difference in the sound/tone (curious more than anything else), neck shape, etc. They are equally beautiful and once I got the 157 I liked (back), I just had to have another so I know the feeling. You know what they say. Three is a charm :icon_smile:

What?

You actually bought back a Heritage you had previously sold? From the same guy you sold it to?

That's a bit strange, isn't it? Hard to imagine anyone doing that.

(Rockabilly, that's a handmade pickguard by Cryoman, an HOC member we don't see much any more. Our loss.)

What?

You actually bought back a Heritage you had previously sold? From the same guy you sold it to?

(Rockabilly, that's a handmade pickguard by Cryoman, an HOC member we don't see much any more. Our loss.)

Thanks everybody!

Lyle, Yeah, WHO would do such a thing?! (Inside joke; LK155 did exactly that last year from another forum member.) Also, Lyle is guilty of goading me into buying the light colored 137 from a guy who had received it as payment for doing some web design years ago for Heritage. He came to one of the PSPs, said he was interested in selling it, gave me his number, and I finally called him and made the deal about 6 months later. It seems to have a slightly thicker neck than the darker one, but neither one has the baseball bat neck that I have seen on some 137s. They both have the pretty standard Heritage neck carve. In other words, JUST RIGHT!

Robert, any sonic difference between the two is lost on me; they sound the same to me.

Randy, great, great pic of your 137. I'd love to hear you put yours through it's paces. All I can say is a 137 through a 5E3 at full throttle is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

What?

He should put one of those pickguards on the other one too!!! Total George Jetson, just great!

137 are as plain a simple of a Heritage you can get. They need a little something to them, namely a pickguard. I never understood why of all the Heritages they produce, only the 137 does not, by default, come with a pickguard. With a non-arched/carved top, its wood will get more scratches than any other Heritage.... So my opinion, even if its just for saving the finish, is to put a pickguard on it.

137 are as plain a simple of a Heritage you can get. They need a little something to them, namely a pickguard. I never understood why of all the Heritages they produce, only the 137 does not, by default, come with a pickguard. With a non-arched/carved top, its wood will get more scratches than any other Heritage.... So my opinion, even if its just for saving the finish, is to put a pickguard on it.

Agree! Heritage should hire Cryoman, or at least sub-contract him to do all of their H137 pickguards for them.

Good for you, Brian. If you like the guitar makes sense to own it.

Yesterday jam and gig I brought the 137. Was a sunny day in the morn so snapped a couple pics. Guitar is fun to play - it's so LIGHT and has a nice sparkle. Another friend/guit player came out to last night's gig and came up after the first set saying 'I've a similar P90 guit, but it doesn't sound as nice as that one!' (funny, I see his wife posted on FB last night 'I've just lost my date to the guitar player... oh well, more pizza for me' :) She knows what we're like when we're talking gear.

The Kirn came along for the gig as well for a set. The 2 of them compliment each other well.

137%20sunny2_zpsxnunyrg4.jpg

Pickguard looks great on that one too. I like the black on the TV yellow, and I'd really like to see a tortoise shell one on a red 137! I like the way the guard follows the body contour on the bottom. These pickguards turn a very plain looking guitar into killer looking guitar, and give it a good level of protection. I realize some people do like the plain jane look, but every guitar I have that was sans pickguard got tore up pretty fast. Many people thought I was a nut for putting a pickguard on my newer H150 because of the nice looking grain, but I couldn't wait to get it on there. I broke out the drill before the first set of strings got wore out.

What?

I hear ya Lyle! a 137 no less

Nah, I nearly got lynched around here when I put the pickguard on the first one! Some rather strong opinions for/against on that minor operation.

:laughing4: yep, people do tend to give one grief around here for putting a PG on a Heritage.

On the 137 without the PG, that looks like a nice beefy neck - is it? Or is it their usual medium C.

Btw, I think it does count as a NGD. Congrats!

Archived