Heritage Owners Club

Heritage and Throbak pickups - what's the scoop

pcovers

Am I the only one that did not know anything about the Throbak and Heritage connection. I just read an article about Throbak buying some old pickup winding equipment from Heritage that dates back to the Gibson era in Kalamazoo. Does this connection explain the recent sightings of Heritage guitars with factory installed Throbak pickups?

ThroBak obtained one of the old Gibson winders from Heritage Guitar.

That's how the relationship got started.

Here's the back story according to the owner, Jon, from the ThroBak website: http://www.throbak.com/

How I happened upon the Slug 101

"In January 2008 I visited Heritage Guitar Inc. which occupies the old Gibson Parsons Street factory building in Kalamazoo. The purpose of the trip was to pick up a custom order guitar. Prior to the visit I asked Bill Paige if they still had any old Gibson pickup winding machines on the premises. When I arrived at the historic Parsons Street building Bill graciously showed me the Slug 101. My jaw dropped, I immediately recognized its importance. Other former Gibson employees at Heritage confirmed the historical significance of this machine. In June 2008 I purchased the Slug 101 and picked it up from the old Gibson factory building in Kalamazoo now occupied by Heritage Guitar Inc.. The Slug 101 was conceived and born in the old Gibson Kalamazoo building and resided there for half a century. Restored to it's former glory the Slug 101 is back to making incredible sounding 50's vintage P.A.F. style pickups in the ThroBak Electronics facility in Grand Rapids, Michigan...".

_4610792.jpg

I believe he also recently received another old Gibson winder, and is getting it ready to use for production. I have a set of his original SLE 101 pickups that were wound using the old leftover Gibson wire he'd acquired. Don't have anything to put them in at the moment.

So the question is when the pickup winder left the factory, is that when HRW's stopped being available?

I believe that winder had been out of service for a very long time. Jon had the machine restored to it's former glory.

I believe that winder had been out of service for a very long time. Jon had the machine restored to it's former glory.

It had been out of service for decades before Jon bought and restored it. I believe the machine was hand built by Gibson employees to help relieve the shortage of pickups and was used just to wind slug coils. Jon is an HOC member and does discount to HOC members.

ThroBak and Heritage are a perfect match.

I really liked the Duncan '59s in my H150, but something was missing. When I did an A/B comparison with SLE 101s there was a clear difference. The notes and chords seemed more open, and "breathed" their warm PAF goodness. It was the "LP tone" I've had in my head.

I'm also a big SD Seth Lover fan. I have them in a hollow body and semi-hollow. I'm sure SD Seths are similar, being unpotted with A2 magnets, but the magic really bloomed with the ThroBaks.

I was very lucky to get the SLE 101s used.

Jon offers a 20% off discount to HOC members. Just tell him that when ordering.

The 20% brings the total cost close to the cost of other boutique pickup makers (that aren't spending the amount of money on quality magnets, bobbins, or covers that Jon does).

Just my .02

I absolutely love mine, both the 101's in my #1 Les Paul, and Jon's P-90's, in my Jack Dent. Can't wait for you guys to hear the Throbaks in the Paul, and the Dent with the P-90's, all cranked through my Top Hat Super Deluxe and my MegaTone Girthmaster (ground-up rebuild of an early 50's Knight PA head), running in tandem. Been rehearsing and gigging with this rig recently. Studio project begins next Friday, here: http://fidelitorium.com/ Click on the three bars, upper left, to take the tour.

I absolutely love mine, both the 101's in my #1 Les Paul, and Jon's P-90's, in my Jack Dent. Can't wait for you guys to hear the Throbaks in the Paul, and the Dent with the P-90's, all cranked through my Top Hat Super Deluxe and my MegaTone Girthmaster (ground-up rebuild of an early 50's Knight PA head), running in tandem. Been rehearsing and gigging with this rig recently. Studio project begins next Friday, here: http://fidelitorium.com/ Click on the three bars, upper left, to take the tour.

Can't wait to hear more about the recording project Rob. I took the tour and with that Feng shui thing happenin' in the studio you guys are bound to have many hits. :icon_thumright: - All kidding aside, you know I'll be rootin' for ya!!

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting story..had no idea of the discount either. I keep hearing great things about Throbacks.

But I suspect I'm no pickup snob. Recently bought a Hamer Artist (excellent) that came with stock Duncan JB and 59 in the bridge and neck positions. Had heard of many guys swapping them out. Was a remote CL sale involving a road trip. Prior to picking it up I came across a used pair of Marshallheads (Wolfetone) that I preemptively pounced upon. Turns out I find the Duncans entertaining if not a little hot. They sound good in my old EL84 Traynor. I'm sure if I installed the Wolfes I'd love them though.

Archived