Heritage Owners Club

Help for my H357. I am worried sick!

gpuma

Yesterday I pulled my H357 out and I noticed something really small but nonetheless troubling, given the emotional value attached to this guitar.

I noticed that the finish at the junction of the central maple insert (on the guitar top, just behind the bridge) is not smooth anymore.

In other words, the line that defines the border between maple and mahogany can be felt with the tip of your finger, as the finish over it seems to have raised slightly.

What is it, and how can I fix it?

Did anyone experience a similar problem?

My worry is that the finish might peel off.

I'll try to capture it on a picture.

Could be a humidity or lack of humidity issue too, depending on where you live, where and how the guitar is stored. If it's really dry, you may want to use either a in case humidifier or put one in the room it's being stored in. Not 100% sure that's the problem without seeing it, but just a thought as I've seen humidity related problems similar to this before.

Wood is an organic "living" substance. Anybody who's done much work on instruments has a sense of the idea that wood never dies. It breathes, moves, and responds to heat and cold, dryness and moisture in ways not dissimilar to how we do. The lacquer is a pretty fickle chemical, and its application and curing are a fickle process, as well. Though I'm sure the appearance of this finish flaw on an otherwise pristine instrument is disturbing, there's nothing unusual going on here. Undesirable, sure. Unnatural, no. What I'd do, Gio, is rub my finger along my nose or across my forehead, and get some of my skin's oil on the fingertip. Rub that well into the crack (you can then polish the surface). That oil will keep moisture from getting into the crack (which is likely just the nitro) and, perhaps under the finish, doing more damage. Then you can watch it for a while, maybe get a better idea of what's going on. Likely just the clearcoat, which is a relatively easy fix, if you know what you're doing. If you can't live with what's there, as Tim said, take it to a pro who knows finishing (not all guitar techs do), and let him evaluate it. Good luck!

Thanks guys. It is a minor thing and I wouldn't mind it at all. Except that this is THE guitar. In fact I shouldn't even worry about it because I will never sell it.

It is a purely emotional thing.

+1 to Yoslate's comments

I am pretty sure that is just due to the different pieces of wood expanding/shrinking, over time

on my 357 I can also feel the seams where the different strips of wood meet; it was smooth when new

the good thing about nitro is it will melt into an existing finish very well. So if that bothers you it shouldn't be hard to touch up, for a pro

My 357 is a hog/maple/hog center block and i can see/feel the transitions slightly.....now granted, mine is 30 yrs old. the finish hasn't cracked...yet.

I wonder if it has to do with the age and curing time of the wood? Newer wood/faster curing times? Modern lacquer?

IMG_3028_zpsc34n5hyr.jpg

Maybe one of the "ambassadors" could seek a direct consult from Marv on your behalf as he's surely had to deal with this issue at some point in the past.

Best of luck that one's a real Beauty!

Pete Farmer just wrote me. It is not something that would be covered under warranty, understandably; i was not really expecting it. It seems that the general agreement is that it is a minor thing however i know exactly zero luthiers over here. Need to investigate the landscape

It definitely can be fixed. My 157 got a ding on the horn when I caught the cord and pulled it off the stand. OUCH! I decided it was a "beauty mark": and would live with it. Then came the "great flood" when the basement backed up and there was 18 inches of water with my beloved 157 sitting on the stand. My heart sank! That led to all kinds of cracking of the finish when the grain swelled from the water.

I was advised to let it dry for about 6 months, then sent it up to be repaired. When it came back, the cracks were gone, and even the ding had vanished.

If you can't find a local to do the work and you can't live with the blemish, then pack her up and send her back home for a visit.

I'm sure this can be mended.

I'm reminded of the first ding on my H150 that left a knot in my stomach for weeks. It was all I could see. Eventually I realized that my own vanity and bruised ego were showing more than the indentation. Now it's just a minor blemish that has no effect on tone or feel, and is not even visible from halfway across a room.

When checking appeared on my gold top, the same emotions were triggered again. But not for long. These guitars are still beautiful and still want to be played. And they sound fantastic. They reward me every time I pick them up.

My mourning was for naught as I realize it is we who are the most fragile and mortal.These guitars will outlast us all eventually.

The guitar looks ruined to me. I will take it off your hands for $500.

Wood is an organic "living" substance. Anybody who's done much work on instruments has a sense of the idea that wood never dies. It breathes, moves, and responds to heat and cold, dryness and moisture in ways not dissimilar to how we do. The lacquer is a pretty fickle chemical, and its application and curing are a fickle process, as well. Though I'm sure the appearance of this finish flaw on an otherwise pristine instrument is disturbing, there's nothing unusual going on here. Undesirable, sure. Unnatural, no. What I'd do, Gio, is rub my finger along my nose or across my forehead, and get some of my skin's oil on the fingertip. Rub that well into the crack (you can then polish the surface). That oil will keep moisture from getting into the crack (which is likely just the nitro) and, perhaps under the finish, doing more damage. Then you can watch it for a while, maybe get a better idea of what's going on. Likely just the clearcoat, which is a relatively easy fix, if you know what you're doing. If you can't live with what's there, as Tim said, take it to a pro who knows finishing (not all guitar techs do), and let him evaluate it. Good luck!

You wanted character when you ordered the guitar now play it. ;^)

When I had the 357 I was worried that I would damage it that I wasn't able to enjoy the guitar. I was a wreck whenever someone asked to play it.

Archived