Heritage Owners Club

New Peghead Inlay?

RJLII

At NAMM I asked a few questions, Corporate thought it generated a curiosity as to "What is that guitar" and would lead to more secondary interest in the brand and follow up conversations.

Originally it didn't have an inspiring effect on me through pictures BUT after seeing it in person I liked it visually, I am more of a traditionalist and prefer the script inlaid headstocks. Those of you coming to PSP will have a chance to view it in person.

A great example of the corporate mindset. Thinking that if it says "The Heritage" no one would be interested. But if there's an "H" someone will ask, "who makes that guitar?". And that somehow, through some miracle, when that question is answered with the word, "Heritage", the person asking the question is going to be *more* interested in owning it. Did they focus group that, or just pull it out of their ass?

More likely someone will ask, "Is that a Korean-made Samick?".

uyyizfwlqwl8uykbenw8.jpg

A great example of the corporate mindset. Thinking that if it says "The Heritage" no one would be interested. But if there's an "H" someone will ask, "who makes that guitar?". And that somehow, through some miracle, when that question is answered with the word, "Heritage", the person asking the question is going to be *more* interested in owning it. Did they focus group that, or just pull it out of their ass?

slow your roll, chief.

in this case, "corporate" is a bunch of dudes, actually building these guitars, paying property tax on their homes AND businesses in K-zoo, who've taken their well earned personal capital, and instead of building shopping centers or housing developments, poured it into a dilapidated, albeit historically significant. brick building in a poorly located business district, and rolled the dice on a centuries old industry with very slim margins....in large part for love alone, and a gut feeling they could do something special that would have implications, civic, emotional, largely intangible and non monetary, saving a dozen jobs and respecting a century of tradition and craftsmanship, all of which is in short supply in our culture. While I don't critique anyone for their taste, which is ENTIRELY subjective, I do allow for a swing and a miss here and there, in the larger context.

Heritage is NOT a massive corporate behemoth, with hundreds of employees tasked with expanding brand awareness and market share and no skin in the game, for whom an ineffective rebranding could be labeled an abject failure. It's a bunch of dudes trying to make room for themselves at an already crowded table, with a great product, a great legacy, and they're trying to create excitement. They may have missed the mark with the logo option - I stress OPTION, they haven't done away with the script - but I think the ineptitude and incompetence your post suggests is in error.

Also...bear in mind, Heritage guitars have been in the market, at NAMM and elsewhere, for 3 decades, with very very little impact, this isn't exactly Coke changing it's recipe, if they raise a few eyebrows and generate some curiosity, fair enough.

The old guard had some very short lived headstock notions of their own, if I'm not mistaken.

slow your roll, chief.

in this case, "corporate" is a bunch of dudes, actually building these guitars, paying property tax on their homes AND businesses in K-zoo, who've taken their well earned personal capital, and instead of building shopping centers or housing developments, poured it into a dilapidated, albeit historically significant. brick building in a poorly located business district, and rolled the dice on a centuries old industry with very slim margins....in large part for love alone, and a gut feeling they could do something special that would have implications, civic, emotional, largely intangible and non monetary, saving a dozen jobs and respecting a century of tradition and craftsmanship, all of which is in short supply in our culture. While I don't critique anyone for their taste, which is ENTIRELY subjective, I do allow for a swing and a miss here and there, in the larger context.

Heritage is NOT a massive corporate behemoth, with hundreds of employees tasked with expanding brand awareness and market share and no skin in the game, for whom an ineffective rebranding could be labeled an abject failure. It's a bunch of dudes trying to make room for themselves at an already crowded table, with a great product, a great legacy, and they're trying to create excitement. They may have missed the mark with the logo option - I stress OPTION, they haven't done away with the script - but I think the ineptitude and incompetence your post suggests is in error.

Also...bear in mind, Heritage guitars have been in the market, at NAMM and elsewhere, for 3 decades, with very very little impact, this isn't exactly Coke changing it's recipe, if they raise a few eyebrows and generate some curiosity, fair enough.

The old guard had some very short lived headstock notions of their own, if I'm not mistaken.

Great post mate. Good stuff.

The more Ive read about the new guys and see what they are doing the more I get excited about Heritage Guitars Inc.

Sorry, I hate it on the headstock. On the case, on a shirt .... OK, then I get it. But not on the headstock. I like the MOP script Heritage logo the best.

The circle brand is hardly unique, look at Samick, Reverend.... I applaud developing a brand logo, but don't put it on the headstock. And truth be told, I never cared for the gaudy "H" tailpiece on my archtops either.

At least Reverend has their name and logo on their headstocks...

I actually agree with Leroy

why not put a KFC logo on there, so people will ask " hey, Kentucky Fried Chicken doesn't make guitars, what kind of guitar is that really? "

same logic...

kfc-logo.png

So the brand on the cow was not photoshopped?

Thanks for your reply kidsmoke. Yeah, I come on strong in that post... responding to the language Guy used in his.. with no negative reflection on him, understand. And please understand that I am grateful these folks are producing guitars instead of shopping centers. I've become passionate about these things - headstocks, etc - *because* I feel Heritage is underrepresented and hasn't/isn't getting the respect they deserve. I recognize I'm a newbie compared to most of you on the forum, but that doesn't dampen my enthusiasm for the brand.

OK, so they're not "corporate" like Exxon is corporate and they're doing the best they can, trying to capture more of the market. And Heritage *deserves* to have more of the market. Yet, IMNTBHO, they've made a bad decision. The headstock should say "Heritage" or "The Heritage" and not be a gimmicky logo that isn't even truly original.

My words, "did they focus group that or pull it out of their ass?" may be unreasonable, but yes, it is possible for them to be inept and incompetent and myopic in designing or deciding on a logo and still make a great guitar.

I've wondered why they chose "The Heritage" instead of just "Heritage", or any other name, really. Now I see and feel the meaning behind that choice. It's an excellent choice - again my opinion. I just think a new logo - if one is required - should reflect that meaning and maintain the sense of lineage and craftsmanship "The Heritage" implies.

slow your roll, chief.

I've wondered why they chose "The Heritage" instead of just "Heritage", or any other name, really. Now I see and feel the meaning behind that choice. It's an excellent choice - again my opinion. I just think a new logo - if one is required - should reflect that meaning and maintain the sense of lineage and craftsmanship "The Heritage" implies.

The Heritage was chosen because the company wanted to embrace the tradition of what it was, The Heritage of Kalamazoo instrument making. Up until the late 20s the instruments coming out of Parsons Street were "The Gibson".

gibson-1902-20s_i0rmld.jpg

If nothing else, the original owners had a good sense of tradition and history.

So the brand on the cow was not photoshopped?

nope, that cow belongs to my neighbour...

I am such a Heritage guitar fanatic, that I sneak over and brand the circle-H into his animals every chance I get!

I tried the script logo on my cat and found the circle H to be much easier to deal with.

A good guitar is a good guitar but I'd rather be able to read the make on the headstock than have to ask.

Does anyone think that a G in a circle or F in a circle would be an improvement on Gibson or Fender?

Archived