Heritage Owners Club

H157 neck thickness and profile

hopkinwfg

Dear Heritage gurus... 

Am just wondering whats the thickness of a regular H157 ? I am weary of the neck being too thick... 

I gotta jackson soloist thats a 80s specs build and i love the neck... its thicker than a standard regular usa jackson soloist... 

I wonder if the heritage H157 is of somewhat with thickness of 1th fret 0.830 to 12th fret 0.860 ? 

They all vary since they are made by hand, and not by CNC machinery. 

2 hours ago, Millennium Maestro said:

I believe their jig is .830-.960 ballpark but each and every is a reflection of individual hand sizing. Definitely not  .86 @ 12th EVER

Cool... thanks the least i think the neck of this thickness is not too tough to handle.... i hear the H157 is being discontinued ? And Heritage is not taking in custom orders anymore ? Been missing the goods here as i played my friends Gibson slash LP was a killer in tone and playability is just so thick and throaty... so much that i heard gibson is bankrupted ? 

2 hours ago, hopkinwfg said:

Cool... thanks the least i think the neck of this thickness is not too tough to handle.... i hear the H157 is being discontinued ? And Heritage is not taking in custom orders anymore ? Been missing the goods here as i played my friends Gibson slash LP was a killer in tone and playability is just so thick and throaty... so much that i heard gibson is bankrupted ? 

Boy there are a lot of topics there... H-157 is currently not being produced in the 2018 product line AND no custom orders since Feb 1,Gibson is Bankrupt BUT most of their debt is tied to 200 other products under the Gibson name, the guitars are profitable and after a restructure Gibson should be back.

2018 product line is basically 6 base models with no options or upgrades and very limited colors... All standardized in the Bandlab/Meng Dynasty Era of Heritage.

2 hours ago, Millennium Maestro said:

It really is so sad that Arnie the neck master is no longer with Heritage. Curious how the necks feel with a few months past his departure.

I was fortunate enough to see Arnie work his magic on those necks a few different times.  I was introduced to Heritage by my girlfriend's brother, who is a friend and former co-worker of Archie Leach.  I must say that Pete's tour certainly drew my interest in Heritage but what really drew me in deeper (to the point that I bought 3 Heritage guitars since those factory visits just 1 year ago) was sitting down for a lengthy talk with Ren Wall and also watching that small group of craftsmen, Arnie in particular, do what they did so very well.  Watching him shape those necks was probably my favorite part of the tour.  He's certainly a master of his craft.

1 hour ago, JRL said:

I was fortunate enough to see Arnie work his magic on those necks a few different times.  I was introduced to Heritage by my girlfriend's brother, who is a friend and former co-worker of Archie Leach.  I must say that Pete's tour certainly drew my interest in Heritage but what really drew me in deeper (to the point that I bought 3 Heritage guitars since those factory visits just 1 year ago) was sitting down for a lengthy talk with Ren Wall and also watching that small group of craftsmen, Arnie in particular, do what they did so very well.  Watching him shape those necks was probably my favorite part of the tour.  He's certainly a master of his craft.

So sad to hear of heritage shortfall... but why did he left ? Did he still craft most of 2018 H157 model before he left ? I hate to hear such movement especially old respectable companies being brought over and whole structure changed under new management rules on profit but not spare a thoughts in keeping well respected skilled craftmans in the company for quality and building tradition techniques... old 80s era of legendary builders be soon retired.... coys like Charvel, jackson,gibson,heritage in my list.... 

Gibson changed from ebony to richlite and am sterring away from it.... 

Having that being said i was still lucky enough to catch whole of a Mike shannon soloist built according to the 80s specs era ! After playing that i know there a big difference between the 80s soloist and the new soloist... 

I believe in thicker necks and fatter body too but not too fat that i have difficulties playing... 

9 hours ago, hopkinwfg said:

Am just wondering whats the thickness of a regular H157 ? I am weary of the neck being too thick...

They come in all shapes and sizes used.  I like a thin neck.  A buddy has an H-150 that has a very thick neck.  Another buddy has one that is nice and thin.  One man's snapping turtle is another man's painted tortoise. 

26 minutes ago, FredZepp said:

Hmmm.. Can I at least get it chambered?  

Hmmmmm...

A 157LW double neck. 6 & 12 string?

20 minutes ago, hopkinwfg said:

Is the H157 same thickness of a les paul custom ? 

I googled and found a les paul custom is of somewhat 57mm / 2.244" thick... 

Is the H157 same ? 

Yes...   2 inch rim with a carved top that adds another 1/4 inch or so. 

1 hour ago, Steiner said:

RIP

Read the fables SS

Greg, I own a couple of 2016 Heritages and the quality is noticeably better than any which I own that were made prior to 2016. So if your going to say RIP Heritage, at least change the date from 2015 to 2018.

14 minutes ago, ElNumero said:

Greg, I own a couple of 2016 Heritages and the quality is noticeably better than any which I own that were made prior to 2016. So if your going to say RIP Heritage, at least change the date from 2015 to 2018.

Will, we also need an oponion on the quality of a 2016-2018 Heritage from someone that never held, played or owned one. How else can we make a fair comparison?

16 minutes ago, Spectrum13 said:

Will, we also need an oponion on the quality of a 2016-2018 Heritage from someone that never held, played or owned one. How else can we make a fair comparison?

Good! an intelligent post. I have invited folks in the area to visit & compare. The improvements are not subtle and are easily seen. I even suggested a guy that lives in the area & plays a 10 yr. old H150 that came from our shop and therefore has undergone some measure of corrective work. His name is Jay Adelson, and he will not take sides. Perhaps a representative can be selected. What about Bill VanGelder? I'm sure he's objective.  I can also send PLEK scans of older & newer Heritages, which are a real shocker and definitive argument. Maybe I'll post some, although I have been asked to not do that by Heritage. Thanks Spectrum13 for your post.

19 minutes ago, jaywolfe said:

What about Bill VanGelder?

I was lucky enough to handle the new twin Korina H137s Bill and Lance picked up last year. They are wonderful. 

As I see it, there's no hate here. What we have is a schism formed from the unfortunate events related to the transfer of management.

This is where our personal views, reactions and emotions collide. There is no denying the pre-Plaza guitars hold great sentimental value for many of us. 

While disagreements will always be a factor in discussion and opinion,  I value and enjoy the input from everyone here, from the voices of experience and taste, to the pompous, the pretentious, and the preposterous.

No hard feelings.

Takes all kinds. :)

Am I missing all the comments where people are slamming the QC of the new Heritage guitars while waiting for the latest plek analysis? I get that it's an important issue which has obviosly been addressed. 

Yet, there seemed to be a laundry list of grievances from the perception of broken promises regarding where/how/what of production details to the corporate business mentality regarding dealer contracts to the lack of diversity in model lineup and customizations to the labor shenanigans etc etc. 

It would appear, from a distance, to some the "These are the best Heritage guitars ever" mantra doesn't seem to be addressing said grievances if not rubbing a little salt in the wounds?

I'd like to handle some new Heritage's in person too, the one dealer we had (Nashville's staple Corner Music) hasn't carried any new ones in at least a year that I've seen, though I don't know the inside story? You'd think there'd be a few around in the South's Guitourist Capitol. They sure look pretty in the pictures. 

Archived