Heritage Owners Club

vs. PRS

Conneazoo

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I first found the HOC a few years ago, folks noticed I had a fair number of PRS guitars. I have also had 4 Heritages and currently have 2. I said then that I didn't see any conflict between Heritage and PRS. To me, Heritage makes the best guitar they know how while looking back. PRS makes the best guitar they know how while looking forward. Traditional and novel, both have their plusses. I'm glad I have both. Had I grown up in the Gibson and Fender traditions I would be missing out and wouldn't even know it. Or maybe I would convert. Who's to say. Just glad I'm here.

There are some practical ways in which PRS is not as good as a Heritage, IMO:

Some do not have intonatable bridges.

You cannot choose neck style -- in many cases, if you don't like their "wide fat" neck style, too bad for you.

Much less available in the way of third party replacement parts -- cases, bridges, etc.

So, I have to ask myself, why bother with a PRS?

^^^ that's a pretty good answer ^^^

I own both brands and play both in rotation. Last week, the H157LE was paired with the ME Quatro (tremolo); this week, the Millie and the JA15 will be out. I think at this level, the apples and oranges are really good.

The H535 and an Epi Joe Pass will be played next week. I own different guitars because of their differences - they feel and respond different at different levels of gain - different voices to serve the song

I've rarely played a PRS guitar that I could connect with. I have enjoyed some S2 models like the Starla and Mira, and would be interested in trying the new Vela.

For the most part they're nice guitars, but very expensive and just don't do it for me. I like that they try and evolve and move forward, but at times I can't keep track of all the new models, features, pickups, and the new names they come up with for them almost every year.

Heritage is better at making traditional guitars like the H150, H157, H535, H555 and the big bodied jazz guitars. Period. PRS just doesn't know how to do that very well. I've owned PRS Singlecut guitars (for instance) which I simply don't like as much as the classic Les Paul design... which by the way, Heritage is even better at making now that the new owners have really upped the game in the quality control department. If you would like to own and play any of those old classic guitar designs, Heritage is definitely the way to go.

Paul Reed Smith (PRS) is much better at building what I think of as high performance instruments and often liken them to the Ferrari's or Lamborghini's of the electric guitar market. Light, sleek, fast. Guitars that your human anatomy doesn't have to constantly fight against while playing and which deliver the tone you need when you need it. But not all PRS guitars are the same. You can't just try one and base your judgment of the whole product line on that one guitar. Not honestly anyway. I went through a LOT of PRS guitars before I finally figured out what specs and features I like the best. Which means that there were a LOT of PRS guitars that I didn't like, but now i have a lot of PRS guitars which I like a whole lot!

As mentioned previously, PRS is continually making tweaks and adjustments to everything they make, and on their core line of guitars, you can often choose from one of three neck carves ("Pattern", "Pattern Regular", "Pattern Thin") without incurring any extra cost. I feel pretty confident saying that if you haven't played a 2015 or newer PRS, you don't really know what you are missing. The new 85/15 pickups in a Custom 24 with a Pattern Thin neck carve is my favorite. I'm also a huge fan of the new McCarty 594 with the new Low Turn pickups and the "Pattern Vintage" neck carve. Two of the best guitars PRS have ever made. They've got some pretty good amps too but I assume this thread is just comparing the guitars, right?

Everyone's seen my Heritage guitars a thousand times. Here is my PRS family photo.

PRS-Fall2016_2535x1920.jpg

Carl your topic title sucks! 6 Pack in??? We are going to have fun next summer at PSP.

My PRS experience is not the same at a lot of yours... Brief breakdown of me as a player, HARD TAILS!!! That being said I tried a few in the 90's and felt the neck profiles odd, HATED the rotary switch, thought the trem looked cheap... I live in the desert and felt like I was in siberia when I was playing them. AND I KNOW NOBODY THAT BUILDS A PRS

What I like. They have cool finishes, Their wraparound looks slick, very balanced and managable.

Now if you were expecting a H Vs P comparison they are 2 completely different breeds.

Now this is a conversation I have when some interested buyers call after they give me some specs... Heritage is a handmade guitar manufacturer that builds guitars true to spec with the original 24 3/4 scale solid bodies guitars of the 50's and 60's... This is what they do best. The Heritage name is 110% perfect for their product. They still use old school single action truss. I HAVE MET THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN BUILDING MY GUITARS PAST AND PRESENT!

I am with Jeff, I don't understand this thread.

PRS compared to what?

But I will just post that PRS guitars are probably the most consistent in workmanship, play-ability, and intonation of mass produced guitars. They have their own tone, but are like a swiss army knife guitar.... they do a little bit of everything and are easily the guitars that can cover the most tonal spectrums for me. Not a an LP (but close LP tones), not a Strat (but with spilt-coil pull pots some good single coil tones), probably the closest to an SG tone (but with a Tremelo bridge).

If I can only pick one guitar to TRY to do it all (knowing that no guitar can do it all) easily a PRS Custom 22 or 24 with a Trem would be the guitar.

But where is the fun of only 1 guitar???

HANGAR, just wanted to say I haven't seen that pic and the swamp ash second from the right and the 30th anniversary second from the left do look amazing!

Maestro, I had the same feeling about the neck profiles, rotary switch and trem when I tried them 10+ years ago.

I am with Jeff, I don't understand this thread.

PRS compared to what? It's a troll like thread if you ask me.

Sorry Kuz. Tolling was not my intent. Just looking for some insight comparing the two brands. I messed up the thread title.

I own both and have my views, but was interested in what others thought as well.

Sorry Kuz. Tolling was not my intent. Just looking for some insight comparing the two brands. I messed up the thread title.

I own both and have my views, but was interested in what others thought as well.

I edited my post before you posted this and took out the "trolling" part. I thought it was too hard on you. But if you wanted a comparison between PRS vs Heritage, you might want to give a little better clarification.

I did rather enjoy the PRS Starla S2 I had. But the fattest neck I've tried with a PRS is still flat and thin to me. Despite tone and aesthetics, PRS aren't for me. More often then not, I associate more with Fenders then any other. But the Heritage H-535 remains my favorite classic design.

I never really cared for PRS guitars. While I agree they extremely well made, the aesthetics never did it for me

Both companies make exceptional instruments....lots of room for both

re: the thread title...why VS??? can we not enjoy more than 1 brand without some sort of competition? do you think everyone lives in a world of absolutes?

Whenever I see a thread comparing two guitar brands, I usually avoid them. However, since I sense this one is more 'tongue in cheek' than the typical guitar wars threads on other forums, I'll chime in.

I too have played many PRS' that didn't float my boat for various reasons...neck profile, electronics, tone and that all-to-personal feel that a guitar gives me. However, after playing a 2008 SC245 loaded with 57/08 p'ups, I was sold (See below). And from what I've been reading about the latest innovations from PRS, it could make them even more versatile and desirable to former PRS haters.

Guitar building is a competitive business, but some buyer's brand loyalty turns it into just something else to argue about. I try not to compare PRS to Heritage. They both do what they do very well, and appeal to certain pro, hobbyist and amateur players. It's great to see two American guitar companies do their own thing, in their own very different way, and still carve out a chunk of the guitar buying market.

This is my all time favorite PRS solid body:

prssc245mccartyfredited.jpg

This is my all time favorite Heritage sold body:

KcKSra.jpg

I have yet to find a PRS that felt comfortable for me. There's something about the neck shape that just bothers me. I think its the feeling of a wide flat fretboard. They are very nice looking guitars. I'm sure they are well made, but they just don't fit me. On the other hand almost every Heritage that I've picked up feels like "home".

Just had to show you my Private Stock DGT. Grissom himself approved it and said it would be his number 2. I think PRS and Heritage are two different animals and like them both for their own strengths. Variety is the spice of life!

post-131-0-26576000-1474843109_thumb.jpg

I have yet to find a PRS that felt comfortable for me. There's something about the neck shape that just bothers me. I think its the feeling of a wide flat fretboard. They are very nice looking guitars. I'm sure they are well made, but they just don't fit me. On the other hand almost every Heritage that I've picked up feels like "home".

:thumbsup: Me too.

I too have played many PRS' that didn't float my boat for various reasons...neck profile, electronics, tone and that all-to-personal feel that a guitar gives me. However, after playing a 2008 SC245 loaded with 57/08 p'ups, I was sold (See below). And from what I've been reading about the latest innovations from PRS, it could make them even more versatile and desirable to former PRS haters.

The 57/08 pickups are my second favorite pickups that they make. Or seeing as how three of my guitars have them installed, they might be my favorite in that respect. I don't know but I do like them a lot.

(The name comes from "the kind of pickups Gibson was using in 1957" and they were invented in 2008.)

Archived