Heritage Owners Club

Heritage Guitar Inc: 6 month review of new ownership

Polo

So, it's almost been a full 6 months since new ownership took over at Heritage Guitars......How do you feel about how things are going with the company?

I'd personally score things at a: Strong C+

While the newly designed website, the initial factory clean up and the announcement of the H-157W stood out as a few of the highlights to have occurred, I've been a little disappointed to see that very little sustained marketing has taken place. It doesn't feel like they're trying to draw attention to themselves....at all.

I'm beginning to suspect that PlazaCorp is MUCH more focused on the overall renovations to the 225 complex then they are with taking the Heritage Guitar company to the next level.....and that's a bit worrisome to me.

So again I ask....How do YOU feel about how things are going with the new ownership?

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-05%20at%206.53.4

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Give them time to shore up their crumbling, neglected infrastructure, and improve guitar building efficiencies. Generating economy of scales does not happen over night. Six months is nothing in the manufacturing world, especially at that old factory. And Heritage was doing things from an outdated business model...many years behind other guitar makers. If we were shareholders, we'd be able to examine their every move, as well as their finances. For now, I'm just satisfied that there is a plan in place that is far better than was was going on. Now its up to the new owners to work their plan...generate marketing buzz, expand their internet presence, energize their dealers and then sell more of their great hand built guitars.

Aside from the new website and the introduction of the new owners, don't have enough information to make a judgement. Perhaps the acid test is to order a custom made Heritage model in the next 6 months or so and assess the quality compared to what would have been produced under the old management.

I have a different opinion. I was quite impressed with the attention the new owners paid to the HOC members and all those that made the 2016 a great event. I was able to do several of the tours and can't think of another guitar company out there doing as much as they are in the scheme of things. I am hoping for great success and it made we want to add a newer heritage guitar to the collection. I look at the direction heritage is taking and the direction gibson has taken over the last several years and give the nod to heritage. This is just my humble opinion but I was blown away by the 2016 HOC event this year.

You can't turn around a 30+ year old company in 6 months. They are doing extensive renovations to the factory. They have improved the website. My recent experience ordering a case has taught me that they are very responsive to customer needs. I expect that after the renovations are complete and production times improve, we will see better marketing to go along with it. Let's reevaluate in a year, and then at two years, to see how things are going.

I have a different opinion. I was quite impressed with the attention the new owners paid to the HOC members and all those that made the 2016 a great event. I was able to do several of the tours and can't think of another guitar company out there doing as much as they are in the scheme of things. I am hoping for great success and it made we want to add a newer heritage guitar to the collection. I look at the direction heritage is taking and the direction gibson has taken over the last several years and give the nod to heritage. This is just my humble opinion but I was blown away by the 2016 HOC event this year.

Yeah. The factory tours were really great this year. I was very impressed.

If I were the new owner I would want to have my shit together before I started crowing about a brand/culture that surely has more than a few odd practices in it's current DNA. I too say give them time.

That said, who is supposed to post the group photo this year? This they should be able to do if they value their main customer base. If they need help so be it. It would seem like their photographer would be on this by now.

With the ongoing project of moving the manufacturing of Heritage Guitars to a new building.. ( the areas built next door in the 1960's ) while undertaking the extensive renovation of that old building and planning on the re-purposing of much of the complex of buildings, it's not surprising that the focus isn't entirely on rebuilding the brand at this point. There are lot's of big projects going on right now that will take some time to come to fruition. 18 months seems to be the estimate at getting the new Parsons Street and the next phase of Heritage to it's completion.

It's good to envision that the new Heritage Guitar isn't just a short media blitz , like many would have stopped at, but a true evolution of the brand.

Pretty much exactly what I ya'll homers would say.......Let try this.

Just take a unemotional/unattached scroll down each guitar companies FB page and then ask yourself.........which page contained more visually appealing/informational content???

https://www.facebook.com/HeritageGuitarInc/

https://www.facebook.com/CollingsGuitars/?fref=ts

You can't turn around a 30+ year old company in 6 months. They are doing extensive renovations to the factory. They have improved the website. My recent experience ordering a case has taught me that they are very responsive to customer needs. I expect that after the renovations are complete and production times improve, we will see better marketing to go along with it. Let's reevaluate in a year, and then at two years, to see how things are going.

This.

The new owners are taking guitar production at 225 Parsons into its second century. Being as you can still order a custom 535, 150, Golden Eagle or whatever NEW, purchase a replacement case and Heritage dealers can order new stock....

TAKE THE WIN.

Looking at the two facebook pages, I don't see a problem with the Heritage page.

Look at what they are presenting.... a bit of history, pictures of the 157w (and other guitars) in process, David Becker doing Heritage clinics (haven't seen one in years), other endorsed or Heritage playing artists, the HOC PSP. Its not JUST pictures of guitars, and they seem to be posting at least a few times a week. That's a big change, so someone at Heritage is starting to pay attention to that stuff.

Given what they are doing these days, with rebuilding the BUILDING as well as the brand, I think they are coming along quite nicely, thank you.

Now if we can just get them to start using some of Pressure's ad mockups, we'll really have a presence.

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-05%20at%206.53.4

In that new animated sequence on the home page of the new web site, there is a couple of scenes where the American flag can be seen wrinkled and dirty, laying on a work bench. I know they didn't mean any disrespect but as a veteran it still kinda rubs me the wrong way and it sticks out like a sore thumb every time I see it. I did send them a message bringing it to their attention and the response I got kinda seemed like they were blowing me off just a little bit. I'm not going to raise a huge stink about it but I felt I had to at least let them know that I noticed the flag protocol goof. I'm done fussing about it. I've got plenty bigger things to get upset about in this current world.

I'm new to this forum but I am a Heritage owner. One thing I would like to see on the new site is a listing of different core custom options. I say "core" options because it seems like Heritage is pretty open to many different requests, but just seeing a list of typical options that folks have done in the past would be helpful. Maybe helpful for dealers, too.

I'm new to this forum but I am a Heritage owner. One thing I would like to see on the new site is a listing of different core custom options. I say "core" options because it seems like Heritage is pretty open to many different requests, but just seeing a list of typical options that folks have done in the past would be helpful. Maybe helpful for dealers, too.

Sounds like a reasonable request to me. The original (hard copy) Heritage Guitar Catalog included list prices of each instrument as well as a list of custom options and prices.

The former web site had some of the basic options, but an updated list could inspire some enough to order their dream guitar.

Aside from the new website and the introduction of the new owners, don't have enough information to make a judgement. Perhaps the acid test is to order a custom made Heritage model in the next 6 months or so and assess the quality compared to what would have been produced under the old management.

I put in a price quote from my local dealer for a custom build. That was a week and a half ago, havent heard anything back yet..

Since I receive new Heritage's almost daily from the Zoo, I have a few observations:

* They are financially stabile for the 1'st time.

* Spiffy web site

* new catalog just arrived

* a definite focus on improved fit & finish, better setups, way better nut cutting and radius matching.

* some nice spec changes- bone nut, Ebony pickguards instead of cheesy plastic, working on improving cases for better- safer fit.

* WAY slower response to request for quote- custom specs. From hours to weeks. (they are trying to improve this problem)

* WAY higher prices for custom features- so darned high that they may have killed the golden goose for now, although we are in talks to "try" to get this back to where a "custom" Heritage will once again be viable. Meantime- hold your one-off "Custom" Heritage close, as there may not be any more, other than a few zillionaire builds! I realize they have to make something on these and discussions are ongoing, with me pleading the case that customs are a large and important part of their biz- and mine. I believe a compromise can be made in the coming weeks.

* Bill Paige goes fishing more often. (good for him, he's certainly earned it)

* MAP pricing policy for the 1'st time.

* They're working 5 day weeks now instead of 4 (3 1/2 was more the norm) Production has doubled!! (It was really low before)

* Shipping costs have almost doubled

* Social media effort is encouraging

* Focus on signing Artist that are under 80.

* Of course all the many improvements and HUGE investment in the Real Estate is so positive.

I like what I've seen, I like the new folks and their focus on quality. Jim seems happy, and the future for the brand looks quite good.

I just might stick around...........and I hope you do too.

I have been asked by the new GM to submit a list of custom features so that they can price 'em up for dealers. I have sent lists in twice so far with no response. Maybe I'll send a bill for "consulting" services rendered.

Since I receive new Heritage's almost daily from the Zoo, I have a few observations:

* Spiffy web site

* a definite focus on improved fit & finish, better setups, way better nut cutting and radius matching.

* some nice spec changes- bone nut, Ebony pickguards instead of cheesy plastic, working on improving cases for better- safer fit.

* WAY slower response to request for quote- custom specs. From hours to weeks. (they are trying to improve this problem)

* WAY higher prices for custom features- so darned high that they may have killed the golden goose for now, although we are in talks to "try" to get this back to where a "custom" Heritage will once again be viable. Meantime- hold your one-off "Custom" Heritage close, as there may not be any more, other than a few zillionaire builds! I realize they have to make something on these and discussions are ongoing, with me pleading the case that customs are a large and important part of their biz- and mine. I believe a compromise can be made in the coming weeks.

* They're working 5 day weeks now instead of 4 (3 1/2 was more the norm) Production has doubled!! (It was really low before)

* Of course all the many improvements and HUGE investment in the Real Estate is so positive.

I like what I've seen, I like the new folks and their focus on quality. Jim seems happy, and the future for the brand looks quite good.

What is MAP pricing Jay?

And they are focusing on signing artists under 80? That would be most everyone wouldn't it?

* Spiffy web site

Very thorough breakdown, I see we are sharing some of the same growing pains!

I would like to add:

-There are 3 main departments 1. Front office, Marketing, Management, Customer service, Operations 2. White wood manufacturing(Building) 3. Finishing side (Building) They have hired a bunch of new employees... I would be very curious to the employee count.

THEY ARE COMMITTED TO QUALITY! (THIS IS FROM A DEALER EMAIL TODAY)

Heritage Guitar - Product Update

To our valued Heritage dealers:

Over the last couple of months, the team at Heritage Guitar has been making some changes and improvements to our product line-up. As these changes occur, we will continue to update you so you’re fully familiar with our guitar designs and can offer your customers the most current information. I’d like to outline three recent updates below:

1. Bone Nut – All guitars (other than custom requests) are now being produced using bone nuts.

2. Nickel Hardware – Any guitar that has previously been built with chrome hardware will now be supplied with all nickel hardware. If your customer prefers chrome, most components can be custom-sourced.

3. Pickguards – The following is our current pickguard offering by model:

a. H-150 – Cream plastic (no changes)

b. H-157 – Bound polished ebony (change from black plastic)

c. All other guitar models that are outfitted with pickguards will receive a polished ebony pickguard in the shape outlined here. All models that previously received bound pickguards will continue to be bound. All carved hollow body can be outfitted with a matching wood pickguard at no additional charge, but please specify on the order.

Please note that all of these improvements are provided at no charge

Archived