Heritage Owners Club

Major Lefty Letdown!

brentrocks

I was helping Southawguy acquire this beautiful lefty H 525...it arrived today with a broken/cracked neck!

What a shame for such a beautiful Heritage!!!

Treble side...

treb.jpg

Bass Side...

bass.jpg

P1010803.jpg

Thats a shame. Sorry for your loss. You are in our prayers. Did you hear about the caskets you can buy with a Lifetime Guaranty?

Guest HRB853370

Sorry to see this on a beautiful instrument. How does this happen? Being dropped by the shipper perhaps? Or do you think there might have been a weak point in the wood that just let go?

I am curious how it was packed. I have shipped my share of guitars and never had an issue. De-tune strings, support the back of neck with a towel, wrap case in bubble wrap, then box, more bubble wrap on outside of box, then put in larger box.

Yea, this makes the package heavier and cost more to ship, but it is virtually indestructible!!!

you have to put padding on both sides of the headstock. Also I have heard that detuning the strings doesn't help either way. In fact, it might contribute to this type of break.

still, what a shame. such a great guitar. i hate shipping guitars. gotta do it sometimes, but I still hate it.

I have previously posted in some detail on exactly this type of fractures. These are generally thought to be due to dropping the guitar on its back. The neck is supported fairly rigidly by the case at a discrete region near the headstock. This creates a high energy focal force in this area, flexing the headstock backwards.

Ironically, the larger headstocks are more prone due to momentum. Loosening the strings creates greater susceptibility for this type of fracture.

Careful packing won't make much difference in preventing this with two exceptions. First, double boxing a guitar with a compressible substance between the two boxes will decrease the angular acceleration of the neck on the case support by the headstock. Crumpled newspapers, peanuts or bubblewrap would do. Second, very rigid packing of the neck and headstock will spread the impact force and prevent flexing the headstock region.

The bottom line: get good insurance.

It kinda makes me wonder. Suppose the two splints (like Dan Erlewine is fond of using in this situation) were installed at the factory to reinforce the headstock (where the truss rod is routed, and the neck is the most vulnerable) on new builds from the factory... Would this make the headstock/neck joint less susceptable to damage in the first place? Consider if you will: The lion's share of Heritage guitars are shipped via USPS, UPS, or worse from music dealers to their customers. Perhaps a little strengthening at that point would cause less anguish down the line.

Or is that heresy to suggest?

rooster.

I am curious how it was packed. I have shipped my share of guitars and never had an issue. De-tune strings, support the back of neck with a towel, wrap case in bubble wrap, then box, more bubble wrap on outside of box, then put in larger box.

Yea, this makes the package heavier and cost more to ship, but it is virtually indestructible!!!

it was packed well, strings de-tuned. the only issue was that the guitar was sloppy in the case...for it to break in that area, it must have been dropped or stepped on. i pressed on the headstock and i could make the crack move...its terminal :icon_puke_l:

Archived