Heritage Owners Club

NHD!

Jimbob

Well, the anticipation ended today when my new H-110 arrived! So far I'm pretty impressed with the guitar, but having not played or viewed it first, I was in for a couple of surprises. First, it has a really fat neck - perhaps fatter than any guitar I own with the exception of one Tele - but I don't mind this since I have rather large hands and long fingers anyway. After playing it for a few minutes, I adjusted to it quite easily. I also found that I wasn't able to back the pickups down off the strings as much as I'd like (or to at least have that capability), and without removing the pups, I'm assuming the pickup cavities aren't quite deep enough. I've seen this on numerous other Heritage guitars when installing long-legged PAFs, but a set of short-legged Throbak pups should easily remedy this without a hitch. The SD '59 pups sound pretty good - lots of fullness and sustain - but I'm looking forward to dropping the Throbaks in. Perhaps best of all is its light weight at just over seven pounds. I was a little concerned that it might be a little neck heavy, but it's very well-balanced. All in all, I'm really digging it, and I'm thinking it's going to be a keeper! I'll be sure to post a tone report once I've done some tweaks.

Now, for the nagging question: do I go with a pickguard or without? Of course, I'd have to drill a couple of small holes to mount the pickguard, but it would certainly help to maintain the finish with the way I play.

Nopickguard.jpg

Withpickguard.jpg

Great looking guitar!! Did you order it or buy from a dealers stock? The Throbaks will be an excellent choice! I have two sets and love them. With the H-110 I'd leave the pickguard off. Enjoy!

Well, the anticipation ended today when my new H-110 arrived! So far I'm pretty impressed with the guitar, but having not played or viewed it first, I was in for a couple of surprises. First, it has a really fat neck - perhaps fatter than any guitar I own with the exception of one Tele - but I don't mind this since I have rather large hands and long fingers anyway. After playing it for a few minutes, I adjusted to it quite easily. I also found that I wasn't able to back the pickups down off the strings as much as I'd like (or to at least have that capability), and without removing the pups, I'm assuming the pickup cavities aren't quite deep enough. I've seen this on numerous other Heritage guitars when installing long-legged PAFs, but a set of short-legged Throbak pups should easily remedy this without a hitch. The SD '59 pups sound pretty good - lots of fullness and sustain - but I'm looking forward to dropping the Throbaks in. Perhaps best of all is its light weight at just over seven pounds. I was a little concerned that it might be a little neck heavy, but it's very well-balanced. All in all, I'm really digging it, and I'm thinking it's going to be a keeper! I'll be sure to post a tone report once I've done some tweaks.

Now, for the nagging question: do I go with a pickguard or without? Of course, I'd have to drill a couple of small holes to mount the pickguard, but it would certainly help to maintain the finish with the way I play.

Nopickguard.jpg

Withpickguard.jpg

Looks like you got your wish according to your moniker below your posts. Congrats.

Congratulations on your new guitar! It's nice to finally see another H-110 here on the HOC as I've felt like the Lone Ranger for a long time with my H-110. I prefer a pickguard, but that is your decision. Also, you might play the Seymour Duncan '59s for a while to at least have a feeling for their sound for future reference.

Congrats on the guitar a real looker!!! (I vote no pickguard by the way).

Hey a tip on lower the pickups... If you are loosing the two mounting screws and they are coming off the long-leg retaining clips, then you just need a set of longer springs. This has happened to me if I used springs that were too short for the long-leg retaining pups.

Congratulations on your new guitar! It's nice to finally see another H-110 here on the HOC as I've felt like the Lone Ranger for a long time with my H-110. I prefer a pickguard, but that is your decision. Also, you might play the Seymour Duncan '59s for a while to at least have a feeling for their sound for future reference.

Thanks, everyone! It's fun to have a new toy!

Hey blueox, thanks!.....and you don't have to feel like the "Lone Ranger" any longer....haha. I'm going to play the H-110 for a few days before making any decisions regarding pickup changes or installing a pickguard, so we'll see how that goes.

Great looking guitar!! Did you order it or buy from a dealers stock? The Throbaks will be an excellent choice! I have two sets and love them. With the H-110 I'd leave the pickguard off. Enjoy!

I actually bought the guitar from Mojo's Music out the St. Louis burbs. It has a couple of dings in it on the back from being in the store, but the guy gave me a pretty decent discount on it. The plan is indeed to throw in a pair of Throbaks - the SLE-101+ set - so they should sound great in this guitar. I have another set in my H-150 and love 'em.

Congrats on the guitar a real looker!!! (I vote no pickguard by the way).

Hey a tip on lower the pickups... If you are loosing the two mounting screws and they are coming off the long-leg retaining clips, then you just need a set of longer springs. This has happened to me if I used springs that were too short for the long-leg retaining pups.

Thanks, Kuz! I'll definitely check out the pickup situation when I get around to cracking the hood on the guitar. The Throbaks have the 1/4" legs on them, and since I have a boatload of springs and screws, it should be an easy fix.

Looks like you got your wish according to your moniker below your posts. Congrats.

Yeah.....I better get to changing that.....LOL. Thanks!

Congrats on the 110. That really looks like it'll be a great player.

It's interesting that it has a fat neck, they seem to be making them a bit beefier lately. It's great that it works out for you.

I've got necks from thick to thin and can't say that I'd want to pick one kind. I can appreciate either type on the right guitar.

I was going to say no on the pickguard, but after seeing it with it.. I think I'd prefer it with that Heritage pickguard. Somehow that guard really goes well with that body shape.

Enjoy and keep us up to date on changes to or observations about this axe. I bet it really plays/ sounds fantastic.

I've been waiting to see one of these on the HOC. You certainly ended up with a beauty.

Congrats. What is the weight on that one?

Nopickguard.jpg

Thanks again, everyone!

I've been waiting to see one of these on the HOC. You certainly ended up with a beauty.

Congrats. What is the weight on that one?

The store initially told me it was 7.4 pounds, but on my postal scale it reads at 7.2 pounds. Either way, it's a nice, comfortable weight. I probably didn't mention this, but it's a semi-solid or semi-hollow guitar, and it's sounding pretty sweet. So far it just seems to have it's own vibe....just a slight hint toward a 535 and a little more robust and/or resonant than an H-150. I'm really not a fond lover of SD '59s, for they just seem to have a slight edginess in the upper-mid/lower-high end range that just sort of bugs me. While they're good for now, I'm quite sure that the Throbaks will be dropped in over the weekend. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll post a sound clip or two as it is now.

But hey....I've been playing this one on and off all afternoon, and I must say that it's really growing on me. I've loved Heritage guitars for quite some time now, and they just never let me down. I'm also not quite sure why I haven't posted here more often in the past, but you guys may just have to get used to me nosing around once in a while.....haha! Seriously, though, this is a great forum, and I'm glad to be here. Thanks again!

Jim

EDIT: For those posting that haven't seen an H-110 on here, be sure to check out Blueox's 110. It's a custom order and an absolute beauty for sure. I'm sure there isn't another one quite like it anywhere.

It does look nice. I played on in the factory last year and it had a very thick neck on it. Congrats!

Happy New Heritage Day! That is indeed a looker; sort of looks like a cross between a H-170 with a Stratocaster upper bout, but has the semi-hollowness of a H-155 Millenium. Cool beast for sure. I vote no pickguard, but then I'm the guy with 6 used Heritages, NONE of which came with a pickguard (isn't that wierd?!) Too beautiful tops to cover up, is my guess. Enjoy your new, unique Heritage!

Beautiful guitar, love the old style sunburst, and it looks great with or without the pick guard.

At 7.2 pounds that is a lot of mojo in a light weight package.

Congrats and enjoy!

Beautiful guitar!! Not too many of them out there, much less on the HoC. :icon_thumright:

And WooHoo for buying from Mojo's Music. I've bought 3 guitars from Bob, 2 were special orders. He always takes great care of the HoC members.

Beautiful guitar!! Not too many of them out there, much less on the HoC. :icon_thumright:

And WooHoo for buying from Mojo's Music. I've bought 3 guitars from Bob, 2 were special orders. He always takes great care of the HoC members.

Thanks! Yeah, Mojo's was pretty cool to deal with. I actually dealt with a guy by the name of Turk....not sure if you know him. They gave me a 7-day money-back guarantee on it as long as I left it as is while checking it out, but I just couldn't resist some tweaks.....LOL....so now it's mine for sure. But hey, this 110 smokes. I find it kind of strange that there aren't more of these out there.

Beeeaaauuutiiful!!!

No on the pickguard...

Thanks! I've decided a big NO on the pickguard. I just can't get myself to drill new holes in a brand new guitar.....just can't do it.

EDIT: Although, I tend to think the standard H-150 pickguard doesn't look too bad on an H-110. I held up an LP guard against the guitar, too, and it just looked odd with the double cutaway.

Archived