Heritage Owners Club

NHGD x 2

Actually, these arrived on Wednesday, but I've been busy.

Thanks to Brent, who brought these guitars to HOC, who agreed to hold them while I was gone, and who shipped them promptly when I got back, I was able to add these two unusual Heritage guitars to my assemblage.

First, the "Red One:" Leon Rhodes signature in red, very near mint. This is a very cool guitar; has that "jetsons" look to me. It does not have the pickup problems that Tulk1 encountered on his ... the only pickup concern (as Tulk also found) is that the pickups are not easily adjustable, and, with one volume control, it does mean you have to live with the volume changes created by the relative volumes "set" by pickup adjustment.

I played this at rehearsal Wednesday night --we worked up a couple of tunes for Sat. including "I Saw Her Standing There." Great guitar for that tune. Probably not familiar enough with the guitar to actually gig with it this weekend, but, a very neat guitar as is, and, also has potential for some customization.

Second, the Mahogany Eagle employee build. This guitar has barely left my hands since Wednesday, even though I'm suppose to be working on my Geezer band stuff. I thought hard about this guitar before I contacted Brent: on the one hand, I worried about sinking so much money into a mahogany-backed/necked archtop when maple has been the standard for top of the line instruments, but I also thought that a big-bodied, mahogany-backed guitar might have a little richer/rounder sound than maple, and, since I didn't need it to cut through a big band acoustically, that sound might be great for solo jazz stuff. (And, I just like stuff that is at least a little bit off the beaten trail.)

This is simply one of the greatest sounding and playing guitars I've ever had my hands on. The sound is of the character I hoped, but the guitar is responsive in tone and dynamics in a way that I could not have hoped. No cut on maple archtops, which I love, but this is a different animal, and one that fits perfectly with my long-term plan to work more on developing a solo repertoire. And, it is beautiful, in a simple, elegant way. It sort of reminds me of a giant version of my old stripped Custom, with its dark 'hog back and light top.

So, thanks Heritage, and thanks Brent. Great "welcome home" house warmers.

010-4.jpg

Congrats Larry, seems like you gave a lot of thought to the purchases before you made them, and the results are going to be what you were wanting. I'll be interested in hearing more about your solo endeavor.

Congratulations on those two very unique pieces of Heritage history, Larry.

You are much more cerebral with your guitar purchases than I am. All it would take is one look and I'd be all over that Mahogany acoustic Eagle!!!!!

THAT is a great NHGD... Two very different and unique instruments to distract you for the near future..

I love the uniqueness of the Leon Rhodes models, a very playable solidbody I'm sure. Tulk's is excellent also.

And the warm tones of that Eagle would be a pleasure.

That Eagle haunted me while up for sale. She a Bute! The other looks like great fun too. It appears you'll be busy for some time. Congrats!

Great pair Larry! The Eagle is pure class and the Leon is one unique Heritage. Enjoyed your comments concerning Maple backed archtops considering the first Gibson archies were Walnut and cutting throught the brass section of a swing band might not be what most players use these for. My spruce toped 16 inch maple is super bright. It might be that builders continue building maple backed for traditional and marketing reasons.

Guest HRB853370

Actually, these arrived on Wednesday, but I've been busy.

Thanks to Brent, who brought these guitars to HOC, who agreed to hold them while I was gone, and who shipped them promptly when I got back, I was able to add these two unusual Heritage guitars to my assemblage.

First, the "Red One:" Leon Rhodes signature in red, very near mint. This is a very cool guitar; has that "jetsons" look to me. It does not have the pickup problems that Tulk1 encountered on his ... the only pickup concern (as Tulk also found) is that the pickups are not easily adjustable, and, with one volume control, it does mean you have to live with the volume changes created by the relative volumes "set" by pickup adjustment.

I played this at rehearsal Wednesday night --we worked up a couple of tunes for Sat. including "I Saw Her Standing There." Great guitar for that tune. Probably not familiar enough with the guitar to actually gig with it this weekend, but, a very neat guitar as is, and, also has potential for some customization.

Second, the Mahogany Eagle employee build. This guitar has barely left my hands since Wednesday, even though I'm suppose to be working on my Geezer band stuff. I thought hard about this guitar before I contacted Brent: on the one hand, I worried about sinking so much money into a mahogany-backed/necked archtop when maple has been the standard for top of the line instruments, but I also thought that a big-bodied, mahogany-backed guitar might have a little richer/rounder sound than maple, and, since I didn't need it to cut through a big band acoustically, that sound might be great for solo jazz stuff. (And, I just like stuff that is at least a little bit off the beaten trail.)

This is simply one of the greatest sounding and playing guitars I've ever had my hands on. The sound is of the character I hoped, but the guitar is responsive in tone and dynamics in a way that I could not have hoped. No cut on maple archtops, which I love, but this is a different animal, and one that fits perfectly with my long-term plan to work more on developing a solo repertoire. And, it is beautiful, in a simple, elegant way. It sort of reminds me of a giant version of my old stripped Custom, with its dark 'hog back and light top.

So, thanks Heritage, and thanks Brent. Great "welcome home" house warmers.

010-4.jpg

Nice that he held them for you. Glad you are enjoying your two new additions. Now which of them are making it to PSP? And where are the volume and tone controls on the Eagle?

Congrats, Larry, on two unique guitars. Looks like the Eagle has an ebony fretboard. Nice. And I like that little widows peak, down at the bottom.

Archived