Heritage Owners Club

Question to those who have placed custom orders.

davesultra

I know it's a lengthy wait time, but what I really want to know is. How does the whole Custom order thing work? More/most specifically, do you pay the whole ammount up front, or a deposit ammount and the rest upon completion? I have cool idea for a 150 I'd love to have made. Unfortunately, my work schedule pretty much eliminates the option of me calling during their business hours. I'll be more than happy to make the drive over to K-zoo to discuss the details with em'. Thanks for any insight.

i understand that you must work with a dealer. the exception of which i'm aware is that H sells from stck to HOC members during the PSPs.

"I know it's a lengthy wait time, but what I really want to know is. How does the whole Custom order thing work? More/most specifically, do you pay the whole ammount up front, or a deposit ammount and the rest upon completion? I have cool idea for a 150 I'd love to have made. Unfortunately, my work schedule pretty much eliminates the option of me calling during their business hours. I'll be more than happy to make the drive over to K-zoo to discuss the details with em'. Thanks for any insight."

I am curious. If you don't have the option of calling Heritage during their business hours, how would you have the time to make the drive all the way over to Kalamazoo and back during their business hours to discuss a custom order? Otherwise, a custom order is sent in through an authorized Heritage dealer with a deposit paid, then with the balance paid upon completion. There is no special form for these custom orders, but I suggest you clearly write down everything you want, keeping a copy for your records. My first custom required 50% deposit, while the second build required just a $200.00 deposit, so it depends on the dealer. Keep in mind that a dealer can add a variable amount of profit to the figure that Heritage gives them, so that your final build price could include a $100 profit or $1000 profit to the dealer, for examples, and you will not know because all you will most likely receive is a total price for your custom build. As always, get everything in writing, with receipts for deposit, and so on.

i understand that you must work with a dealer. the exception of which i'm aware is that H sells from stck to HOC members during the PSPs.

This IS not true, and actually PISSES OFF our good Heritage dealers. IF a guitar is sold at PSP it is run through a dealer that Heritage knows.

No guitars are sold direct to customers. There might be a guitar seen at the PSP tour, someone inquires if it is spoken for, and then Heritage runs it through a local dealer.

Sorry to sound so HIGH & MIGHTY but I had two dealers that I deal with tell me they might stop taking orders because Heritage is selling guitars direct to customers.

Even the above way that I said it happens at PSP is supposed to be hush, hush, because many dealers are looking for inventory and if Heritage sells to a HOC member thru a local dealer, that guitar COULD have been sent to another dealer looking foe inventory.

Just to jump in 'cause I can. Dealer Network -- that's what it's for. If you use a dealer like Jay Wolfe, Jay Hale or one of the other longer term dealers you'll do great dealing just with them. Some of us that have had the time have called the factory and talked with Ren, Marv, Bill or Vince to discuss different options, see if they'd do something out of the norm, or just to make sure we're correctly telling the dealer what we need. I personally have had two ideas shot down by Ren and Vince, yet other ideas very enthusiastically endorsed, or even better suggestions made. Too bad you can't call them. One thing to keep in mind, have your dealer tell Heritage it's for an HoC member. That could help.

This IS not true, and actually PISSES OFF our good Heritage dealers. IF a guitar is sold at PSP it is run through a dealer that Heritage knows.

No guitars are sold direct to customers. There might be a guitar seen at the PSP tour, someone inquires if it is spoken for, and then Heritage runs it through a local dealer.

Sorry to sound so HIGH & MIGHTY but I had two dealers that I deal with tell me they might stop taking orders because Heritage is selling guitars direct to customers.

Even the above way that I said it happens at PSP is supposed to be hush, hush, because many dealers are looking for inventory and if Heritage sells to a HOC member thru a local dealer, that guitar COULD have been sent to another dealer looking foe inventory.

I believe this was only for factory 2nds that they might have sitting around. They won't sell you a guitar direct from the factory.

I am curious. If you don't have the option of calling Heritage during their business hours, how would you have the time to make the drive all the way over to Kalamazoo and back during their business hours to discuss a custom order? Otherwise, a custom order is sent in through an authorized Heritage dealer with a deposit paid, then with the balance paid upon completion. There is no special form for these custom orders, but I suggest you clearly write down everything you want, keeping a copy for your records. My first custom required 50% deposit, while the second build required just a $200.00 deposit, so it depends on the dealer. Keep in mind that a dealer can add a variable amount of profit to the figure that Heritage gives them, so that your final build price could include a $100 profit or $1000 profit to the dealer, for examples, and you will not know because all you will most likely receive is a total price for your custom build. As always, get everything in writing, with receipts for deposit, and so on.

I suppose my post was a bit odd. I typicaly work 10-11 hr. days Mon.-Sat. and Heritage is not open on Sun. So for me to contact "H" to discuss my idea with them I'd most likely have to put in for a Vacation day (which I have to do well in advance). So I was attempting to get some preliminary info from those "In the Know". If I can get this going, I'll definately put my vac. request in.

You need to contact a Dealer (Wolfe Guitars is the largest in the world) and they will call Heritage for a quote. You can also tell Wolfe guitars about your idea for the guitar and they will check if the custom aspect can be done. If you call the factory between 7:30 AM -9AM EST M-TR (Heritage is closed on Fridays) this is the best time to reach them. They may tell you if they can build your special custom, but they won't give you a quote. Heritage only gives quotes to dealers, it is best if you just call the dealer.

Wolfe guitars is open on Saturdays I believe.

The guitar sold at PSP are sold through a dealer. Vince told me that and we all know lawyers don't lie.

I used a dealer that is close to South Lyon, MI. He gave me a fair price. I would suggest you take that day off - call ahead to make sure they will be there, and tell them what you want. When you get home start calling dealers. Tell them that you are calling several dealers and you want a price for the guitar that Heritage has the plans for. This way you won't have the dealer order you the wrong guitar. It will also show you how they respond to getting you a quote. If they take too long getting your business you sure don't want them controlling your custom order.

1/2 up front.... the rest when the guitar ships.

I used a dealer that is close to South Lyon, MI. He gave me a fair price. I would suggest you take that day off - call ahead to make sure they will be there, and tell them what you want. When you get home start calling dealers. Tell them that you are calling several dealers and you want a price for the guitar that Heritage has the plans for. This way you won't have the dealer order you the wrong guitar. It will also show you how they respond to getting you a quote. If they take too long getting your business you sure don't want them controlling your custom order.

Great post Ron, you are absolutely dead on!!!!

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll get in touch with Marty at Motor City Guitar and see what he can do. They are listed as a dealer, though I can't say that I've ever seen many (if any) Heritage guitars there (Same with Elderly).

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll get in touch with Marty at Motor City Guitar and see what he can do. They are listed as a dealer, though I can't say that I've ever seen many (if any) Heritage guitars there (Same with Elderly).

You might find what you're looking for in stock there... They have Heritages in stock (one of the only dealers I know of in Michigan)

Guest HRB853370

The other exception is, if your name is Brent!

Guest HRB853370

So you are saying it never happened? Heritage has NEVER sold a guitar directly to somebody that visited their facility? If this practice periled the dealers why would Heritage do it in the first place? I can't see why Heritage would want to bite the hand that feeds them.

Guest HRB853370

You might find what you're looking for in stock there... They have Heritages in stock (one of the only dealers I know of in Michigan)

Joes Music in Roseville Mi is the oldest Heritage dealer in Mi.

Did you happen to use The Music Man in Brighton?

So you are saying it never happened? Heritage has NEVER sold a guitar directly to somebody that visited their facility? If this practice periled the dealers why would Heritage do it in the first place? I can't see why Heritage would want to bite the hand that feeds them.

Yes, I am saying it NEVER happened.

It happened/happens like Ron & I described it, period.

Talk to Mike at The Music Man, good guy.

Skydog52 is the one that turned me on to The Music Man.

I purchased my custom through a dealer too.

'Twas worth it too!

Body-Sm.jpg

Joes Music in Roseville Mi is the oldest Heritage dealer in Mi.

Joe is a great dealer to work with. I worked with him last year and I live in Oregon :) I was in MI visiting my Mom and took a ride over to Joe's Music on Gratiot. Joe has a good selection of Heritage Guitars also. I will work with Joe again. In fact, I have contacted him concerning a possible custom Millennium Standard Ultra for this year. . . Rick

Archived