Heritage Owners Club

TonePros or Pigtail for my H-137

davesultra

I do like the wraptail on my 137. However, when doing deep bends the string(s) sometimes don't return to their original positions. A little bit off takes them a bit out of tune which is annoying, although I know it's the nature of the beast using a wraptail. I'm contemplating going with either the Pigtail or TonePros wrapover bridge. Anyone have experience with either? And will I need new studs?

I was afraid to do it because I like the tone of the solid wrap so much but wanted to go Aluminum , which did change the tone a little but it's fantastic ! I went with a Faber compensated solid wrap and Tonepros studs . However I have not noticed any tuning issues but i don't do big bends often . I'll kick it real hard this weekend and see what happens :icon_rr:

Faber_stock_top.jpg

137cross.jpg

I started with this Leo Quan clone, bottom pic, and didn't really like it after a while so I switched to the Schaller from StewMac. It is a very nice bridge.

Schaller_Bridge_Tailpiece_sm.jpg

img_4752_std.jpg

I've had both on a 137 and prefer the PigTail - it's just better machined. Also it's lightweight, the TonePros being fairly heavy. I'm not sure how responsive Pigtail is these days with the passing of Steve Rowen. I believe his wife is carrying on the business but I'm not sure.

I started with this Leo Quan clone, bottom pic, and didn't really like it after a while so I switched to the Schaller from StewMac. It is a very nice bridge.

Schaller_Bridge_Tailpiece_sm.jpg

img_4752_std.jpg

Bird, that thing looks really close to the pickup. Is there still enough room to get at the intonation screws?

Bird, that thing looks really close to the pickup. Is there still enough room to get at the intonation screws?

Yes but it was near impossible to change a string with this bridge in place. The Schaller doesn't have that problem.

Just ordered the Wilkinson bridge w/studs. For under $25 I'll give it a whirl. I like the look of the Pigtail, just don't wanna' put out that kinda' cash right now.

Yes but it was near impossible to change a string with this bridge in place. The Schaller doesn't have that problem.

I had the tonepros AVT II bridge on my H137 and I experienced the same problem. I had to remove the whole bridge every time I changed the strings, which messed up the heights settings etc... I totally solved that problem by adding a roller bridge and a Bigsby. :icon_thumright:

But that Schaller design seems to do the job guite well also!

never had probs on my PRSs.

the adjustable bridge is just awesome, but the "normal" ones work great as well.

also worth to try would be the cheap SE bridge.

goldie-daylight900.jpg

Guest HRB853370

never had probs on my PRSs.

the adjustable bridge is just awesome, but the "normal" ones work great as well.

also worth to try would be the cheap SE bridge.

goldie-daylight900.jpg

Wow, thats a good looking piece of hardware!

Here are a few pics of the Schaller bridge on my 137. You load the strings from the back and there is plenty of room for setting the intonation.

img_4860_std.jpg

img_4862_std.jpg

... I totally solved that problem by adding a roller bridge and a Bigsby. :icon_thumright:

Great minds. I did that with a 137 back in 2007.

img_4283_std.jpg

I have a Pigtail & a Schaller like Bird's

they are both great, the Pigtail is nice & light and a work of art, but the ease of use on the Schaller cannot be beat!! excellent design

What a killer axe !

I never bonded with it. I found out that a neck pickup in a must have for me. I did trade it for a H-475 acoustic.

Archived