Heritage Owners Club

157 review

shook494

So I've had her for several months now and this is what I think. I really dig the way it plays. It's like butter.

The Schaller bridge pickup is awesome for the hard rock style I play. The Schaller neck is really loud and muddy so I may swap that out here shortly? Any suggestions on a bridge pup that would compliment the bridge?

I was going to remove the pick guard, but it's grown on me and I'll keep it on for now cuz it just screams HERITAGE!! You can't mistake the shape for anything else.

Going to change out the black knobs for gold ones along with an amber switch tip.

I will also change the stop tail from the Schaller just because I like the traditional look better.

The Schaller bridge pickup is awesome for the hard rock style I play. The Schaller neck is really loud and muddy so I may swap that out here shortly? Any suggestions on a neck pup that would compliment the bridge?

Glad you're enjoying it :)

Before you pull the neck pickup, try one or both of these: drop the neck pickup level with the mounting; change the capacitor for the neck pickup to a 0.015.

Both are cheaper than a new pickup and should cure the muddiness issue. The first of the two will also drop the volume from the pickup.

If you want any assistance with your beauty feel free to call me it would be a good opportunity to get together... finally!

I always lower my neck pickup for the same reason. when getting knobs order us spec not metric. I also need to order a few things and we can combine orders if it works for us. The schaller tailpiece makes it really easy to try other pups if a solution to you tone issues doesnt present itself.

Feel free to call anytime, I am here for you!

Guy

460-1804

The Maestro has assisted me many times in the past. I'd take the opportunity if I were you. Welcome to the collective.

Thanks again everyone!! I was surprised about the one piece back as well. The barrel jack is different and cool. I lowered the bridge pup like a couple of you suggested and that made a huge difference!! Thanks. I might still change the cap just for fun? I won't be getting rid of the this one ever.

Thanks again everyone!! I was surprised about the one piece back as well. The barrel jack is different and cool. I lowered the bridge pup like a couple of you suggested and that made a huge difference!! Thanks. I might still change the cap just for fun? I won't be getting rid of the this one ever.

YOU KNOW WHO TO CALL IF YOU DECIDE TO LET HER GO.... ME. M.M.!!!

I put a couple of Seth Lovers in my H157 and played them for the first time this weekend. I'm very happy with them.

Looking back at the H157s I've had, Seths have provided the tone I was after the best.

Nothing wrong with the barrel jack as long as it keeps working. They have a high failure rate over time. Heritage stopped using them quite a while ago. Our local luthiers have a lot of experience replacing them, and it's a quick and cheap fix if needed.

The Schaller TP is as good as it gets IMO. It doesn't look classic, but it's an engineering improvement. The difference isn't worth troubling over though.

Gold knobs would look great.

For more aggressive rock tones, I love the Duncan Pearly Gates in both positions of my 157. Haven't tried Seths, but I've found Duncan 59s to have a nasty "honk" in the bridge position. 157s have slightly brighter tone because of the ebony fretboard, and the 59s are just all wrong for that. The Pearly Gates fattens things up a bit.

For more aggressive rock tones, I love the Duncan Pearly Gates in both positions of my 157. Haven't tried Seths, but I've found Duncan 59s to have a nasty "honk" in the bridge position. 157s have slightly brighter tone because of the ebony fretboard, and the 59s are just all wrong for that. The Pearly Gates fattens things up a bit.

I can't disagree with that. I pulled the 59s on mine. On the other hand a lot of guys like 59s on their H157s.

• 5 months later...

I've done some pickup swapping in h157 over the years myself. Putting a JB in the bridge was the worst choice! Horrible in a 157 but good in my SG. Now I have a Pearly Gates in the neck and a Slash series Alnico 2 pro in the bridge. Overall good but might trade out the Aph-2 for something a little darker sounding. A 157 seems to be naturally brighter than an average Les Paul and I think the thicker maple cap contributes to it. Thought about Seth Lovers but really looking into the Bare Knuckle Abraxis.

I like the Schallers at the moment. I messed around with he height adjustment on the neck pockup and that seemed to work for me for now. I might put something a little more pricey in her later on down the road:)

A great looking 157, no doubt. Nice pics to show it off.

I love the way my black 157 plays and sounds. But your amber flame top looks awesome.

Nothing wrong with the barrel jack as long as it keeps working. They have a high failure rate over time. Heritage stopped using them quite a while ago. Our local luthiers have a lot of experience replacing them, and it's a quick and cheap fix if needed.

... Yeah.. I'm about to change one in one of my 150's.... It was recommended to get a Switchcraft Stereo barrel jack ( and just wire it mono )

They have two clips inside that hold the plug , so hopefully more durable.

A great looking 157, no doubt. Nice pics to show it off.

I love the way my black 157 plays and sounds. But your amber flame top looks awesome.

... Yeah.. I'm about to change one in one of my 150's.... It was recommended to get a Switchcraft Stereo barrel jack ( and just wire it mono )

They have two clips inside that hold the plug , so hopefully more durable.

let me know how it goes I have the same to install for my H155

Archived