Heritage Owners Club

Divided by 13 amps: do you know anything about them?

Fernando

"Nocturne Blondeshell"??

"Trilluim Empyrean???"

what are those, props from Star Trek?

why not just get a real bassman? I think Yoslate has the right idea...

That's why I said, "If I were to buy a seriously expensive amp, ..." ;)

Complete supposition and in ABSOLUTELY no danger of happening.

Here's a philosophical question: What makes a Bassman real in this discussion? Is it the brand? Is it a specific circuit?

I'd say a Bassman is purely a brand name. However, I can completely see the argument that a homemade "Bassman" circuit is more real than any branded Bassman you can buy today.

The components available now for building amps aren't as good as vintage amps. It is a complete opposite story of vintage guitars, where the guitars made today are superior to vintage ones (if good is picked out and screened).

I spoke with the president of Matchless amps when I had my DC-30 about four years ago. He said they were close to going under because it cost them SO much money to build an amp with the best available components, labor cost from handmade point to point, cost because they take longer to build, cost of the materials are much higher because of the best quality, advertising cost, and the profit margins are almost nothing.

So honestly $2500 for an amp with the best parts, handmade , quality control, 10years to lifetime guarantees, reliability, it is impossible to compare to a $500-900 PC board amp.

The sound may only be 15-30% better, but many people are will to pay for the best.

For example people buy Mercedes, BMW, & Lexus cars everyday, but really a Kia or Hyundai will get you to your destination as well. It just depends on your choice.

The components available now for building amps aren't as good as vintage amps. It is a complete opposite story of vintage guitars, where the guitars made today are superior to vintage ones (if good is picked out and screened).

I spoke with the president of Matchless amps when I had my DC-30 about four years ago. He said they were close to going under because it cost them SO much money to build an amp with the best available components, labor cost from handmade point to point, cost because they take longer to build, cost of the materials are much higher because of the best quality, advertising cost, and the profit margins are almost nothing.

So honestly $2500 for an amp with the best parts, handmade , quality control, 10years to lifetime guarantees, reliability, it is impossible to compare to a $500-900 PC board amp.

The sound may only be 15-30% better, but many people are will to pay for the best.

For example people buy Mercedes, BMW, & Lexus cars everyday, but really a Kia or Hyundai will get you to your destination as well. It just depends on your choice.

In total agreement, my argument is that a homemade amp, assuming decent components (not necessarily top of the line) are used will be much better than, in this case, a brand new out of the box Bassman. I am all for salvaging those bulletproof components off old amps whenever possible. :D

Maroon 5 use /13.........yep' date=' thats right, Maroon 5.

I like this thread because grown men are quoting Toy Story. If we can get a Monsters Inc or The Incredible's quote it will tip it in to awesomeness.[/quote']

"I'm the greatest good you are ever gonna get!"

"Snowcone?"

Better? :D

"I'm the greatest good you are ever gonna get!"

"Snowcone?"

Better? :D

Yes.

Snowcone? that it?

The Incredible's:

I'll sell my inventions so that *everyone* can have powers. *Everyone* can be super! And when everyone's super...

[chuckles evilly] - no one will be.

Quite off topic really I spose.

Sorry

Yes.

Snowcone? that it?

The Incredible's:

I'll sell my inventions so that *everyone* can have powers. *Everyone* can be super! And when everyone's super...

[chuckles evilly] - no one will be.

Quite off topic really I spose.

Sorry

I like that quote from Monsters, Inc. Mainly because he has what appears to be yellow snow. haha.

i played the JRT 9/15 once at a local-ish tonefest and was very impressed.

thing for me to keep in mind is that the brand new shiny '67 Bandmaster rig i paid $420 for (with a bank loan) would cost about the same as some of the /13's or 65ampses or Heritages or Jukes and was not as well-built as any of them. that's an objective point. subjectively, sound and feel is a personal reaction and preference...

Maroon 5 use /13.........yep, thats right, Maroon 5.

I like this thread because grown men are quoting Toy Story. If we can get a Monsters Inc or The Incredible's quote it will tip it in to awesomeness.

I suspect they base their buying decisions on how it looks on stage.. Having the /13 logo light up is pretty cool.... Not like their playing anything that resembles live instruments...

• 5 months later...

I suspect they base their buying decisions on how it looks on stage.. Having the /13 logo light up is pretty cool.... Not like their playing anything that resembles live instruments...

A tele is a real instrument. James Valentine takes a nice break over The Sun @ about 1:40.

Played one for fifteen minutes, a couple of weeks ago, at a friend's house. Not even sure which model, but Darryl said it was about 15W. It was a head, through a 2x12 Avatar cab with Greenbacks. Loud! Quality loud! Big Quality loud! Very much in the Marshall vein. Clean, it sparkled, big and round. Broke up really nicely at volume, but not ear-bleed volume, in fact "break up" is kind of a misnomer, as it implies a kind of falling apart. Not at all what this thing does. More a case of its developing a marvelous crunchy, chocolatey goodness, with a nougat center. That's me, being technical.... I was impressed.

Played one for fifteen minutes, a couple of weeks ago, at a friend's house. Not even sure which model, but Darryl said it was about 15W. It was a head, through a 2x12 Avatar cab with Greenbacks. Loud! Quality loud! Big Quality loud! Very much in the Marshall vein. Clean, it sparkled, big and round. Broke up really nicely at volume, but not ear-bleed volume, in fact "break up" is kind of a misnomer, as it implies a kind of falling apart. Not at all what this thing does. More a case of its developing a marvelous crunchy, chocolatey goodness, with a nougat center. That's me, being technical.... I was impressed.

Very unique tone review, Rob. Divided by 13 are definitely high end price-wise. Good to read an opinion from someone who knows good tone. I've never much cared for the use of the word break-up for that transisition from clean to distorted. Your description is spot on!

I bet if amp builders used phrases such as your "mavelous crunchy, chocolatey goodness, with a nougat center...", they would sell more amps!! :icon_salut:

I bet if amp builders used phrases such as your "mavelous crunchy, chocolatey goodness, with a nougat center...", they would sell more amps!! :icon_salut:

Hell it made me hungry, I just went and bought a snickers:)

'Slate!

Stop that! ROFL! My face is getting grin cramps, yer giving me more wrinkles dammit!

You earlier choice of words to describe you/13 interacting seem exactly what a boutique amp built with great parts delivers. Some great description, reminds me of what my Siegmund and D-clones deliver. They were built with super top end parts and are also expensive.

I have some news for all of you...Barry Clark is gonna bust a nice tone move project if what he hinted about is what I'm thinking, and I'm not telling before he does...but I am gonna drop a hint...to start with...on one thing. What well known American amp maker made an amp running 6aq5's for the power tubes?

Archived