Heritage Owners Club

225 Parsons Photos

nicknickhall

For you guys that have been there, does it feel pretty dark in that building? It looks cool in an antique way, but to me

it also looks somewhat dirty/dingey compared to other shop photos I've seen. How much light gets through those

windows? Maybe you have to be there to get the true experience, that's why I'm asking these questions. I also

respect the tradition there, as I love my H150's!!!

That's a great series of photos by a Kalamazoo Gazette photographer who truly appreciates Heritage for its guitars, employees, and photo inspiration in general.

For you guys that have been there, does it feel pretty dark in that building? It looks cool in an antique way, but to me

it also looks somewhat dirty/dingey compared to other shop photos I've seen. How much light gets through those

windows? Maybe you have to be there to get the true experience, that's why I'm asking these questions. I also

Come see for yourself this summer.

It is dark in there. What you see is what it is like.

As the photos indicate, the decades-old factory is an old-school woodshop with sawdust on the floor where top-quality handbuilt guitars are produced. Like many of the big multi-story factories built at the time, whole walls incorporated windows for natural lighting along with the overhead electric lights. Not much has changed since Gibson first started building guitars here, right on through to the present, under Heritage. For my money, this preserved environment is where much of the Heritage musical soul comes from and continues to be played out.

I think the windows were blacked out during WWII. But it has the old school factory feel to it. And the sawdust can be recycled for other uses too, Jim D. gave a bagful of it to my mom once for some craft she was working on.

As I understand it, the building style is a "daylight" building and was originally intended to be functional without electrical lighting so that the sunlight provided the interior lighting. But now, it seems that they let in what light they want to have come in for their own preference as well as utilize electrical lighting for uniform purposes. Chico's WWII concept makes perfect sense to me and I can only assume that if they wanted more light to come in, that they would have bought a paint scraper for the windows by now. hahaha The interior lighting seems adequate.

I think the windows were blacked out during WWII. But it has the old school factory feel to it. And the sawdust can be recycled for other uses too, Jim D. gave a bagful of it to my mom once for some craft she was working on.

As opposed to photosynthesis, excessive light has been proven to be detrimental to mojosynthesis.

I kind of remember Will being on a list or something.

225 Parsons was said to be a state of the art factory when it opened in 1917. Must have been designed for electric lighting back when artificial light was a new thing.

Guest HRB853370

I kind of remember Will being on a list or something.

225 Parsons was said to be a state of the art factory when it opened in 1917. Must have been designed for electric lighting back when artificial light was a new thing.

I am on the list.

Archived