Heritage Owners Club

Chicago Blues Box...incoming

From the ad...

The Kingston 18 1x12 combo from Chicago Blues Box is a high quality, boutique tube guitar amplifier from Dan Butler, of Butler Custom Sound. It’s loaded with a Tone Tubby “San Rafael 25” 12″ speaker, long-tank spring reverb, and has the ability to use a variety of output power tubes. Heavy Duty construction is apparent in the Kingston and top-quality components are used throughout. It’s a relatively compact amplifier (20″ x 17″ x 9″) and weighs about 36 pounds. The pine cabinet features finger-jointed construction with a top-mounted stainless steel chassis and the circuit is hand-wired employing Forbon eyelet boards, heavy-duty transformers, custom-made 1-watt resistors and silver-plated wire. The Kingston’s all-tube circuit includes a 5AR4 rectifier, three 12AX7s in the preamp (one driving the reverb circuit), and two 5881 power tubes. The amp can also use a pair of 6V6s, 6L6s, or EL34s (with proper re-biasing), and they don’t have to be a matched pair, since the amp incorporates dual bias controls (one for each power tube). In fact, you can mix and match power tubes (i.e. put a 6L6 in the first socket and an EL34 in the second socket), as long as the bias is set for each tube.

Controls on the Kingston include High- and Low-gain 1/4″ inputs, Volume, Bass and Treble controls, a Bright switch, and a switch for Harmonic Boost, Reverb, as well as the standard power and standby switches. Other notable features include an 18′ heavy duty power cord, extra large rubber feet (some of these have some felt protectors applied as well), a 4-ohm external speaker output jack and a slave 1/4″ output jack with a padded speaker signal for running into another amp or processor.

Gitfiddler, on 14 Apr 2013 - 20:25, said:

Enjoy it while you got it, Brent.

Heh.... The 'fiddler knows....

Very cool, Brent. Quite a different amp, I know, but the Chicago Blues Box Super Reverb clone of John's (Kuz), is one of the finest, best sounding amps I have ever had the pleasure of plugging into!

From the ad...

The Kingston 18 1x12 combo from Chicago Blues Box is a high quality, boutique tube guitar amplifier from Dan Butler, of Butler Custom Sound. It’s loaded with a Tone Tubby “San Rafael 25” 12″ speaker, long-tank spring reverb, and has the ability to use a variety of output power tubes. Heavy Duty construction is apparent in the Kingston and top-quality components are used throughout. It’s a relatively compact amplifier (20″ x 17″ x 9″) and weighs about 36 pounds. The pine cabinet features finger-jointed construction with a top-mounted stainless steel chassis and the circuit is hand-wired employing Forbon eyelet boards, heavy-duty transformers, custom-made 1-watt resistors and silver-plated wire. The Kingston’s all-tube circuit includes a 5AR4 rectifier, three 12AX7s in the preamp (one driving the reverb circuit), and two 5881 power tubes. The amp can also use a pair of 6V6s, 6L6s, or EL34s (with proper re-biasing), and they don’t have to be a matched pair, since the amp incorporates dual bias controls (one for each power tube). In fact, you can mix and match power tubes (i.e. put a 6L6 in the first socket and an EL34 in the second socket), as long as the bias is set for each tube.

Controls on the Kingston include High- and Low-gain 1/4″ inputs, Volume, Bass and Treble controls, a Bright switch, and a switch for Harmonic Boost, Reverb, as well as the standard power and standby switches. Other notable features include an 18′ heavy duty power cord, extra large rubber feet (some of these have some felt protectors applied as well), a 4-ohm external speaker output jack and a slave 1/4″ output jack with a padded speaker signal for running into another amp or processor.

Yes! :thumbsup: Enjoy.

Heh.... The 'fiddler knows....

Very cool, Brent. Quite a different amp, I know, but the Chicago Blues Box Super Reverb clone of John's (Kuz), is one of the finest, best sounding amps I have ever had the pleasure of plugging into!

I remember how good it sounded when you had one of my guitars plugged in to it.

But Brent, is it a totally proprietary circuit or is it based on a vintage one?

Guest HRB853370

I'd bet it looks a lot like a Deluxe Reverb inside the chassis.

Ahh, I dunno. Fender would sue them if that was the case.

I had the 30 Watt version of this amp. I would say it is more Tweed to British voiced. It doesn't sound like a Fender Deluxe Reverb, it has it's own thing going on. It take pedal very well!!!

No they wouldn't... They'd have to sue a laundry list of amp makers... Including Marshall since the JCM45 is based upon the Bassman...

Yep. And every Tweed amp clone maker on the planet.

Archived