Heritage Owners Club

535 vs Gibson 1963 reissue

ezra1

I had a 1966 ES 335 that I got back then.It had a chunky neck similar to a 58 Les Paul Standard.

I let this guitar get away from me in the late 70s

I want another one. I don't want to spend 5 to 6k or more to get another one.

I like the looks of the Memphis 63 reissue.I live in a very rural area and drove 5 hours to Austin to buy a R9.

I played 15 before I narrowed it down to 4 that played,felt right and had no finish flaws.

I also had Wolfe Guitars get Marv to custom build me a H-150 CM to my specs.

The guitar was perfect out of the case.The neck was just what I wanted.

So I am thinking of getting Heritage to custom build me a 535.

I know their H-150s are equal if not superior to Custom Shop Gibson stuff on a case to case basis. IMO

How do the 535s stack up to the Memphis Historic 63 reissues and vintage Gibson's ?

This is a guitar I want to play and keep.

Honestly, think about this... Your old '66 Gibson was built right there in Kalamazoo. Who knows better how to build one that feels just like it than Marv and the gang right there in the same factory, same tools, and same people?

I had a 535 once that was one of the finest examples of its breed from any era that I have ever played. If you have custom ideas, like neck contour etc., you are probably better off with a 535 made to your specs in the birthplace of the one you previously loved. Would be a very special guitar.

Kuz!?

As good as the 150s are and I believe they are equal Or superior to Gibsons LPs, Heritage is known for their 535 and 555's. They clearly a superior instrument, Especially ordered to your specs. I love love love love mine!

a friend who is a local recording engineer lent me his '62 345 for a month or so...I really loved that guitar!!

I never found it's equal until I picked up my cherry 535

gallery_672_98_464719.jpg

*edit* oops it was a 345...and it didn't have a chunky neck ( neither does my 535 ) but I'm sure they would make whatever you wanted...my 357 is a baseball bat!

I know, I repeat myself. At my age, it's the default setting. I've owned, perhaps, a hundred guitars, including lots of vintage stuff. My 535, stock, straight from Parsons Street, is the best instrument I've ever owned.

I've gotten SUPREME satisfaction out of watching ES335 owner's play my H535.....I know that probably sounds creepy but it's pretty funny when they start flirting around about what it cost.

but don't get me wrong, I kinda scare myself to think what I'd be willing to do to own a classic 66' ES335!!!!!!!!

My chunky neck 535 Goldtop Darkback loaded with Seths is the best of the best. I'm not sure how they did it, but It feels, plays and sounds vintage!

I bought it used, but the original owner ordered it with ebony board and Phat Cats through Wolfe Guitars.

You will not be disappointed with a custom order...especially since you've already done business with Wolfe. He gets the goods for HOC'ers!

I don't have the frame of reference of many of the assembled, but I did look far and wide at 335's when I was in the market. None compared to the MIJ Washburn Semi I had at the time. I was stunned, (and a bit smug)

Then when I was ogling a CS336 in a used git shop, something a bit further down the wall caught my eye. Pulling that 535 off the wall was like being hit by a asteroid in deep space, forever changing my trajectory as a guitarist. Feel and sound, it's my benchmark, enequalled, as others here also state. I love other guitars also, but this is the template. post-4051-13737435285972_thumb.jpg

Bolero, that's a great shot of your guitar.

I think you guys may be right.

The new Gibson Memphis 63 reissue can be had for $3400, and it is a crapshoot.

I might get a good one then again I might get a just ok one since it would be mail order and the dealer that sold me my R9 has only one. And he told me that he would rather get me another one than sell me the one he has got.

And I played like 15 at that shop to get the one I did .and he wants $3500 plus Texas sales tax so that puts it over $3700...mail order is $3400 and there would not be any real set up done on it . And I would be out the shipping back to them if it was a lemon....and I feel that getting what I want would be compromised and the odds very strong that I would just be getting a decent guitar that was just ok and I would just be settling for something.

And like I said some old vintage wood like my 66 would be expensive and then again I might not find exactly what I want.

And at the end of the day, if I can't please anybody ....I should please myself.

I have spoken to Jay Wolfe and I am going to give Marv a call Monday.

I would be foolish not to get what I want in a guitar.My taste may not be everyones cup of tea but hey, it's my cup of tea.

And at the end of the day, if I can't please anybody ....I should please myself.

I have spoken to Jay Wolfe and I am going to give Marv a call Monday.

I would be foolish not to get what I want in a guitar.My taste may not be everyones cup of tea but hey, it's my cup of tea.

Just about it, innit?

a friend who is a local recording engineer lent me his '62 345 for a month or so...I really loved that guitar!!

I never found it's equal until I picked up my cherry 535

gallery_672_98_464719.jpg

*edit* oops it was a 345...and it didn't have a chunky neck ( neither does my 535 ) but I'm sure they would make whatever you wanted...my 357 is a baseball bat!

post-4051-13737435285972.jpg

Nice one !

I am obsessed with getting my hands on a 535.

Or, both of these will do. hahahaha

Archived