Heritage Owners Club

Amp suggestions . . . Wanna replace my Heritage Patriot

Steve, not familiar really with the Patriot amp other than via PSP. It's 'fenderish', right w/6L6 tubes? It's 'little brother' then in a Deluxe Reverb (6V6, ~ half the watts at 22) would be similar. Or an Allen Accomplish (that takes either 6V6 or 6L6 tubes). I've played thru both these, own the Accomplish Jr and my single coil guitars can drive either amp to breakup. Typically, I'll not set the amp to breakup without a pedal, aiming at a nice clean sound. If using a tele, I really like Wampler's Paisley pedal especially for a bridge pickup gain.

DRRI's are 'everywhere'... should be able to play thru one to see if it gets you where you're going.

Steve, I get very good OD tones from my Patriot with either a Tube Screamer, Ratt or Zendrive pedals.

If you are looking for amp driven overdrive from that amp you might considner swapping in some less efficient speakers.

Tim

I was looking at both the Patriot and the Accomplice. I was after the clean tone, because I've already got a Marshall DSL401 and a Classic 30 that both do overdrive. I could push the Accomplice too easily, so I went with the Patriot. I've only used 6L6s in mine, however, I have a set of EL34s that SOMEDAY will go in the amp just to see how it changes.

Yes, it's loud if you try to drive it to OD. I just put a Tubescreamer in front and go with it.

FredZepp was using for some Led Zeppelin stuff at PSP and we had the TS at full drive. I don't think he ever got it to really do what he wanted, though. Fred is used to LOTS of gain.

If you want to get more crunch, either gang a couple of pedals together or go for something like the Accomplice. Its a super amp. Might as well have one of each, then you cover the whole spectrum!

If you're looking for an amp, I have a brand new, still in the box Marshall MG100HFX for sale. I used it about 15-30 minutes when it arrived and then boxed it up again. Not a scratch on it and back in the wrapper.

$215 Plus Shipping. It's a nice amp, but I already have 3 others.

DRRI's are 'everywhere'... should be able to play thru one to see if it gets you where you're going.

Steve, I've posted about my DRRI, the one I bought to flip, and now gig with regularly. They are everywhere. Good power tubes, really good 12AX's (Again, there was a post recently about John [Kuz] and I plugging some of his old RCA's into V1 and V2...jaw dropping improvement!), a speaker swap, and clip the bright cap, and you're off for well under any boutique price. I have about $700 in mine, and it's fabulous for any venue I'll play.

Steve, I get very good OD tones from my Patriot with either a Tube Screamer, Ratt or Zendrive pedals.

If you are looking for amp driven overdrive from that amp you might considner swapping in some less efficient speakers.

Tim

I was going to mention the Ratt. What speakers are you using? Less efficient speakers will work well if you get something with a smaller magnet than what you have in there now.

My Patriot came with 70th anniversary G12H 30W speakers. They have a sensitivity of 100dB 1W/1m . You could try the G12-65s. They are rated 96dB. Resonance frequency is still 85, same as the anniversary. This would be like dropping the amp power to about 20 watts or so. (doubling the power raises the level by 3dB). This might back things down a bit to give you more room to push the amp to the same level and coax a little "dirt" out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

The g12-65 is one of the speakers that the Dumble clone herd likes. Nice sounding.

The cleans and OD's both of my 50w Ceriatone OTS and HRM heads are phenomenal at small to big house volumes, the master volumes in them are really, really good. If you flipped your Patriot, you would not be spending much more, within a couple hundy for a head providing significant improvement in flexibility and breadth of tone palette. The cleans in the OTS in particular are amazing, the HRM has trimmers inside to tailor your OD to exactly your tone in your head you always wanted. No pedals needed. Marsh Amplification Overlord 50w, half power switch, lift negative feedback switch, rear panel OD trim is the Ceriatone OTS assembled in US with top quality Heyboer and Mercury Magnetics iron with Ceriatone hand wired eyelet boards. Keep yer eyes peeled for a used 50 watter, much easier to tube up NOS than a 100. Either of these evolved Fenders will slay most single amp rigs out there. The Overlord can serve up some mighty Plexi-sounding pant flapping roar with the LNFB switch lifting....

Keep your eyes open for one of these: Hands down the best attenuator I've ever plugged into. Does not color the tone at all.

I think everyone should have a decent attenuator that allows you to choose the amp you really want and play it set up to it's sweet spot at any volume level.

They aren't cheap and don't come up often. This one sold used on ebay earlier this month for $375. But over a lifetime of playing, I think being able to use the gear you love best makes it well worth while.

$T2eC16J,!zoE9s5nd0wDBS!Rh3zTH!~~60_57.J

Update: In my exuberance to find a solution to your problem, I did a search for an Alex at TGP and found an 8 and 16 ohm for sale for less than $300.

I pulled the trigger on the 8 ohm one.

So, I guess I'm taking my own advice, eating what I cook...you know.

There's still one or two of the 16 ohm versions that might work; I'm told the 8 ohm Alex will work for 16 ohm speaker loads as well.

Or, if that's too much money, I'll likely have my current attenuator, a stand-alone Dr. Z Brake Lite SA available once I receive the Alex. I'm guessing the price will be less than $150.

What I'm saying is....that Heritage amp is too good to let go if there's a way make it work the way you need it to. I hate seeing musicians churning through gear they really want to keep.

I have this one:

PRX-front-543.jpg

I use it with my '65 Blackface Fender Bassman (which has no master volume) & it really helps to bring out the good ol' overdriven blues sound.

Also, it has an impedance knob (2, 4, 8, & 16 ohms) for both the INPUT and the OUTPUT. But it is kinda pricey tho.

Hope you'll find your attenuator to serve your amp!

Blunote - I'd be real interested in your take on that attenuator.

A buddy of mine loaned me his last year and I used it for a couple of months. This is the friend who owns GDS and Guytron amps.

I used it a lot with my KBP Reverb Deluxe and it allowed me to get the cranked tones I wanted at room volumes without any sacrifice in sound quality. When I returned it, I went back to using the Dr.Z Brake lite which is also very good, but not as heavy duty.

The Alex is wired up to more accurately provide a load that is identical to what the speaker provides. For anyone with an EE degree, they'd understand it better than I; for instance, Graydon from GDS/Guytron has one. It provides inductive resistance as well as "normal" resistance that varies with the change in signal strength from the amp. Whatever it does, many consider it the best on the market.

You've got some amps it would work well with -particularly the Soldano.

edit: By the way, the Motor City Amp show will be on the 21st of September. Put it on your calendar.

edit: By the way, the Motor City Amp show will be on the 21st of September. Put it on your calendar.

We'll have to try it out on some amplification appliances.

Thanks for the date. I wondered what happened to the amp showcase; isn't it usually in the spring?

We'll have to try it out on some amplification appliances.

Thanks for the date. I wondered what happened to the amp showcase; isn't it usually in the spring?

It usually is but I don't remember one happening this Spring. Graydon will be there with his GDS and Guytron product line. He's got 2 amps that Jon Herrington's been touring with for 10 years or so, and promises me the show will be bigger than ever.

Bring a guitar and plug in.

Archived