Heritage Owners Club

Narrowing it down...

DetroitBlues

As a custom order is nearly a certainty, now I'm stuck on what I want....

Here is my top three.

There are some constants I want, so I'll start with that.

Block Inlays and Ebony Fretboard

MOP inlay headstock

Trans Amber

One peice flamed maple top

'59 Neck Profile

Nickel Hardware

Duncan Alnico Pro II hum-buckers

Mahogany Neck

Stinger

Cream Binding

But here's the undecided part.

H-147

H-157

H-155 (no F Holes)

Here my inspiration:

IMG009.jpg

IMG_20120803_135756_0.jpg

54224a3622810110473096c037bb2aa0_zps0601

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH YEAH, now you are talking! I have an H-155 without the F-holes, but I prefer the look of the last one, Skydog52's Millie. The switch tip is in the "proper" place, and I like the Florentine cutaway better as far as looks go. I gotta say, Seth Lovers sound great in these guitars, but I know you have those in another guitar, so you might want something else.

post-408-0-37626600-1377310917_thumb.jpg

Josh your 140 is kin to the 1951 Les Paul prototype and super cool.

155 more jazz than blues. 157 heavy, rocking and blues. Skydog's Millie is the beauty queen.

What is it you NEED?

This one.

+1

With or without the f-holes. I'm not convinced they make much differenct to an amplified tone. They probably give a better unplugged acoustic sound though.

I'd definately vote for the H-155 for a custom order. It's a much more unique to Heritage model than some of the others you're considering. And believe me, they can rock-out with any Les Paul.

Just don't do a custom order unless you're absolutely committed to keeping it long-term. It's one thing to churn through used gear; you can pretty much get your investment back. The only way you'll ever make this new one worth it's price is use and enjoy it.

+1

With or without the f-holes. I'm not convinced they make much differenct to an amplified tone. They probably give a better unplugged acoustic sound though.

I'd definately vote for the H-155 for a custom order. It's a much more unique to Heritage model than some of the others you're considering. And believe me, they can rock-out with any Les Paul.

Just don't do a custom order unless you're absolutely committed to keeping it long-term. It's one thing to churn through used gear; you can pretty much get your investment back. The only way you'll ever make this new one worth it's price is use and enjoy it.

I pretty much typed this entire post, then deleted it, as I didn't want to preach at you. But I agree with this 100%.

Hey DB, I'm seeing alot is show, but not much go. The pickups are the primary tone generator, so I would start with Throbaks and get a RS kit with some good paper in oil caps, some super pots and vintage braid wire. Forget the Nashville style bridge and get a real ABR bridge that mounts directly into the top (Callaham, Pigtail, Gibson historic, etc). Get a lightweight aluminum

tailpiece, and some longer vintage steel studs.

These parts will help a bunch with solid vintage tone.

Also I don't put much stock in the idea that ebony makes the tone brighter.

style steel studs

Hey DB, I'm seeing alot is show, but not much go. The pickups are the primary tone generator, so I would start with Throbaks and get a RS kit with some good paper in oil caps, some super pots and vintage braid wire. Forget the Nashville style bridge and get a real ABR bridge that mounts directly into the top (Callaham, Pigtail, Gibson historic, etc). Get a lightweight aluminum

tailpiece, and some longer vintage steel studs.

These parts will help a bunch with solid vintage tone.

Also I don't put much stock in the idea that ebony makes the tone brighter.

style steel studs

As a regular browser of this site I have come to the conclusion that rockabilly69 tends to speak a lot of

common sense and is worth listening to.

I agree with both statements.

As a regular browser of this site I have come to the conclusion that rockabilly69 tends to speak a lot of

common sense and is worth listening to.

I agree with both statements.

Oh come on, guys, it's not like Daniel makes a living playing music..... Wait, never mind.... :laughing9:

No mention of a target weight or an LW model DB ? I thought that was high on your list of considerations.

I would think that the hollowness of a 155 would take care of any weight concerns. If he chose one of the other models, yeah, he'd better consider weight. Good reminder!

Oh come on, guys, it's not like Daniel makes a living playing music..... Wait, never mind.... :laughing9:

I would think that the hollowness of a 155 would take care of any weight concerns. If he chose one of the other models, yeah, he'd better consider weight. Good reminder!

Yeah there's a fairly big weight range between say a 155 at about 7 1/2 lbs to a 157 that could be over 10lbs

• 3 weeks later...

Archived